berg
Ashton
Ashton
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 40 times

SRV Guitar Lesson

Post by berg »

Most of you SRV nerds have probably seen this, but it's new to me and i'd like to expose it to other SRV fans, and/or people who like the guitar

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Re: SRV Guitar Lesson

Post by Molly »

berg wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:04 pm Most of you SRV nerds have probably seen this, but it's new to me and i'd like to expose it to other SRV fans, and/or people who like the guitar

Takes me back. Recall recording that off the telly on VHS. Interviewer didn't have a clue.

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 247 times

Post by griff »

He really was the best blues player imo

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

griff wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:52 am He really was the best blues player imo
Definitely had something special.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

bad clothes and a hat?
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 376 times

Post by Dharmajester »

Bg wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:21 am bad clothes and a hat?
He evidently had no mirrors in his house and would have been fucked without Hendrix to draw on. i 've always been a bit gobsmacked as to why a guitarist who introduced no innovation but simply repeated with mechanical precision what had gone before became such a beacon for aspiring guitarists.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3465 times
Been liked: 711 times

Post by Cdog »

A great player, with distinctive playing style, who helped popularise blues genre in the 80s-90s. People connected with his music, evidenced by his successful, albeit short career. I've always been unable to comprehend the SRV disdain.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

"The best" is such a relative term... relative to so many things, not the least being the ears and eyes of the beholder.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

I'm halfway between both camps. Great player, done a lot for bringing people to blues and guitar, but not super original and personally I find him hard to listen to.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 1064 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

Guitar playing aside, respect to the guy for being so open about his mental health difficulties.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

codedog wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:27 am "The best" is such a relative term... relative to so many things, not the least being the ears and eyes of the beholder.
Yep, I really don't care for his style of blues playing, but clearly he has influenced many lawyers to take up their custom shop strats and hit that 'thunka-thunka-thunka' rhythm.
(mainly tongue in cheek)

As for being the best? Its not really a competition - he like many others, stole bits and pieces from those that came before. I'd argue that Peter Green and Rory Gallagher were far more innovative if that makes them better. It does to my ears, even though Greeny also dressed funny at times.
Jimi Hendrix was asked, “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world?” He is believed to have answered, “I don't know, go ask Rory Gallagher.”
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

Dharmajester wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:34 am
i 've always been a bit gobsmacked as to why a guitarist who introduced no innovation but simply repeated with mechanical precision what had gone before became such a beacon for aspiring guitarists.
I have similar levels of confusion why Joe Bonamassa regularly gets voted as "the greatest blues player in the world" in guitar publications, when he simply rote learned a bunch of Andy Timmons and Eric Johnson licks.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 632 times
Been liked: 802 times

Post by hamo »

I liked SRV well enough in the 90s, but I haven't felt the urge to listen to him since.
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

WellyBlues
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 519 times
Been liked: 351 times

Post by WellyBlues »

Dharmajester wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:34 am
He evidently had no mirrors in his house and would have been fucked without Hendrix to draw on. i 've always been a bit gobsmacked as to why a guitarist who introduced no innovation but simply repeated with mechanical precision what had gone before became such a beacon for aspiring guitarists.
I remember buying the first album, from the EMI shop in Dunedin, and getting back to the flat and playing it, and being absolutely thrilled. Why? Because it was 1983 and the music I loved was not in great shape. There just wasn't good stuff available here, this is pre CDs, pre internet blah blah blah. You couldn't buy the original Hendrix albums new, Clapton was shit etc etc. Then along comes this refreshing guitar-centric blues music that rocked AND rolled. Loved it, fan for life.

He really did give the blues a jumpstart when it needed it and we can be thankful that so many great musicians have followed. Would they have done so if not for SRV, I don't know.

As for being the greatest, as our glorious leader says, it's not a competition. He is certainly one of the greatest, but I don't bother myself with thinking about it, I just enjoy him, and Rory, and Jimi, and Greeny, and Duane, and even Eric.
Slowy wrote: Ultimately though, guitars are like women. On paper there's not much difference but only a few can make you happy.
Ray Wylie Hubbard wrote: And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations Well, I have really good days

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

WellyBlues wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:52 am ... I don't bother myself with thinking about it, I just enjoy him, and Rory, and Jimi, and Greeny, and Duane, and even Eric.
This... "enjoyment" is the essence of music appreciation for me!