Moderator: Capt. Black

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

David Gilmour

Post by jeremyb »

One of my all time favourite guitarists, definitely deserves his own thread, whats everyones favourite era of DG toan?
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Re: David Gilmour

Post by Bg »

jeremyb wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:26 pm One of my all time favourite guitarists, definitely deserves his own thread, whats everyones favourite era of DG toan?
Anything prior to his solo works... they smell funny. Though thats mostly the lyrics. And I will include all his solo albums in that statement.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

As Bg said. Solo albums are fucking garbage.

The inverted snob in me feels the same way about Floyd as those other privileged public school, trust fund toffs Monty Python. But if I had to remove my flat cap and scratch my scabies I'd say On the Turning Away. And Comfortably Numb.
Last edited by Molly on Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

Can't stand his playing, his tone or anything he has produced as part of Floyd or solo.

At least Nick Mason has a great taste in cars.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

I'm in a funny situation as I was quite late to the Floyd game, the first album I listened to was The Division Bell, then Pulse, which I absolutely loved, have been listening to The Wall quite a bit lately, really dig those '73 Rams Head Muff tones, also 1973 is a great year, I was born, DM was born, I thing TerexGeek too, theres probably more on here, Dark Side Of The Moon, man... so yeah, chasing that tone at the moment, got the best example of a Rams head on the way thats not vintage, plus the Mooer electric mistress copy, got the Binson sounding delay... if I had some more room I'd be tempted to get a fuzz face for the earlier tones too... or an HM-2 for the later ones :mrgreen:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

I've always liked his tone, but mainly because they're so effected, he was Edge before he was a thing.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

jeremyb wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:29 pm I'm in a funny situation as I was quite late to the Floyd game, the first album I listened to was The Division Bell, then Pulse, which I absolutely loved, have been listening to The Wall quite a bit lately, really dig those '73 Rams Head Muff tones, also 1973 is a great year, I was born, DM was born, I thing TerexGeek too, theres probably more on here, Dark Side Of The Moon, man... so yeah, chasing that tone at the moment, got the best example of a Rams head on the way thats not vintage, plus the Mooer electric mistress copy, got the Binson sounding delay... if I had some more room I'd be tempted to get a fuzz face for the earlier tones too... or an HM-2 for the later ones :mrgreen:
thats where digital wins ;) for all the analogue stages and buffering in his cornish pedalboards, they may as well have not been there due to the number of effects and compression and all that. You can chase that tone way easier with a HD500!!!!

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

I like his tone and experimentation with effects - he was a bit of a pioneer. His solo's are usually great. Yes, his solo stuff is balls.

For classic massive tone, and understated playing, The Final Cut, The Fletcher Memorial Home, solo from 2:14. Only a few notes but so much power. If you've never heard this, play it through a good stereo or head phones.

Most of that album is Water's, but when Gilmour is allowed to splash his sound around it seems to be just right.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Bg wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:35 pm
jeremyb wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:29 pm I'm in a funny situation as I was quite late to the Floyd game, the first album I listened to was The Division Bell, then Pulse, which I absolutely loved, have been listening to The Wall quite a bit lately, really dig those '73 Rams Head Muff tones, also 1973 is a great year, I was born, DM was born, I thing TerexGeek too, theres probably more on here, Dark Side Of The Moon, man... so yeah, chasing that tone at the moment, got the best example of a Rams head on the way thats not vintage, plus the Mooer electric mistress copy, got the Binson sounding delay... if I had some more room I'd be tempted to get a fuzz face for the earlier tones too... or an HM-2 for the later ones :mrgreen:
thats where digital wins ;) for all the analogue stages and buffering in his cornish pedalboards, they may as well have not been there due to the number of effects and compression and all that. You can chase that tone way easier with a HD500!!!!
He's not one for subtle effects now is he :rofl: its interesting how much EQ he adds to each of his drive stages, to really sculpt the tone, he's probably one of very few people on the planet who can make an HM-2 or MZ-2 sound good :lol:

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

GrantB wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:36 pm I like his tone and experimentation with effects - he was a bit of a pioneer. His solo's are usually great. Yes, his solo stuff is balls.

For classic massive tone, and understated playing, The Final Cut, The Fletcher Memorial Home, solo from 2:14. Only a few notes but so much power. If you've never heard this, play it through a good stereo or head phones.

Most of that album is Water's, but when Gilmour is allowed to splash his sound around it seems to be just right.
Most of all the good albums were Waters. Gilmour added spice and yeah that solo is killer, I love playing that one. No denying that gilmour added something special to Floyd, but in comparison - I've loved all of Rog's solo stuff and thought Gilmours was poo. It all comes down to songs, lyrics and arrangements.

Doesn't stop me from jamming all the floyd albums when I feel in that mood :D

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

jeremyb wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:38 pm he's probably one of very few people on the planet who can make an HM-2 or MZ-2 sound good :lol:
I don't think its that hard, just don't turn it on.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

GrantB wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:36 pm I like his tone and experimentation with effects - he was a bit of a pioneer. His solo's are usually great. Yes, his solo stuff is balls.

Its basically a Water's solo album if we're honest, might have to give it some more listens if theres some gold in there I've missed!

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Fletcher solo is one of the best, and a cracking song to boot. Final Cut is a seriously underestimated album.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

Bg wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:47 pm Fletcher solo is one of the best, and a cracking song to boot. Final Cut is a seriously underestimated album.
How fat is that sound?! I wonder what the setup was?
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Hard to say with his pedalboard, I'm sure gilmourish has details, but they won't be studio details. I just like to turn everything on :D