robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Re: The Beatles - Get Back

Post by robthemac »

WellyBlues wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:39 pm On the Sunday programme on TV One tonight is an interview with Peter Jackson about the movie. 7:30 to 8:30pm for those interested.
I might watch the director's cut from 7:30 til 11:30.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

werdna
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 590 times
Been liked: 458 times

Post by werdna »

robnobcorncob wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:32 pm Did John Rowles really just get mentioned in the early part of episode 2?
Paul on John Rowles: “I took one look at John Rowles at Vegas and it was, ‘Fuck the White Album. This is the real thing! I memorized every Rowles song and went to Vegas and screamed right along with all those chicks.”
John on John Rowles: “Ringo has a picture of me with my hair cut into a pompadour, wearing a Hawaiian shirt and tanned in a sunbed.”
In life, don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

blackstratblues
Gibson
Has liked: 412 times
Been liked: 487 times

Post by blackstratblues »

Litterick
Gibson
Has liked: 268 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Litterick »

Maybe it is time to get over that. Critics sometimes write reviews that fans do not like.

blackstratblues
Gibson

My point was that respected music critics get it wrong sometimes.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1201 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Its best just to ignore critics, they are usually self-appointed and have no idea what you enjoy or don't enjoy.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

werdna
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 590 times
Been liked: 458 times

Post by werdna »

sizzlingbadger wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:30 am Its best just to ignore critics, they are usually self-appointed and have no idea what you enjoy or don't enjoy.
The trouble with ignoring reviews is that without any introduction at all you can either waste your money and time or miss out on stuff. Reviews have saved me some serious time and moderate coin over the years. For example, I loved John C Reilly and Will Ferrell in Stepbrothers - it's probably my favourite movie - but reviews of their Sherlock Holmes movie led me to rightly conclude that the latter was a steaming turd - and I'd be interested to hear from anyone who does not agree - and thereby saved myself the loss of $20 and 2 hours of my time. I loved the movie Dumb and Dumber, but the reviews correctly and rightly put me off seeing the atrocious prequel Dumb and Dumberer - again saving me money and time. I never would have bothered watching The Wire on tv, because at the time the golden age of tv was in its infancy and I didn't much care for tv shows, but the reviews painted an accurate picture of something akin to a Dickens novel, in its complexity, sophistication and ambition, and beautifully realised, so I watched it and loved it. Nobody I know had seen any of the above, so I couldn't have relied on word of mouth.
In life, don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1309 times
Been liked: 867 times

Post by MikeC »

I watched the first 2 episodes of "Get Back" last night. It did have a few slow moments but I still found it fascinating observing the interaction between the guys. Reminded me of the 10 years of our band but sans the talent & success! Part 3 tonight!
Whakanuia o mea kei a koe

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sizzlingbadger »

I'm hoping to watch part3 tonight too.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

Lyle
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 255 times

Post by Lyle »

Hoping to start watching tonight. Cricket was taking up all my TV time!

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sizzlingbadger »

werdna wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:31 am
sizzlingbadger wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:30 am Its best just to ignore critics, they are usually self-appointed and have no idea what you enjoy or don't enjoy.
The trouble with ignoring reviews is that without any introduction at all you can either waste your money and time or miss out on stuff. Reviews have saved me some serious time and moderate coin over the years. For example, I loved John C Reilly and Will Ferrell in Stepbrothers - it's probably my favourite movie - but reviews of their Sherlock Holmes movie led me to rightly conclude that the latter was a steaming turd - and I'd be interested to hear from anyone who does not agree - and thereby saved myself the loss of $20 and 2 hours of my time. I loved the movie Dumb and Dumber, but the reviews correctly and rightly put me off seeing the atrocious prequel Dumb and Dumberer - again saving me money and time. I never would have bothered watching The Wire on tv, because at the time the golden age of tv was in its infancy and I didn't much care for tv shows, but the reviews painted an accurate picture of something akin to a Dickens novel, in its complexity, sophistication and ambition, and beautifully realised, so I watched it and loved it. Nobody I know had seen any of the above, so I couldn't have relied on word of mouth.
True, but it is far easier (and very likely more accurate) to just check the star ratings on IMDB.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

First impressions, 1969. Wonder if he squirms now thinking of that?
Or maybe he still hates Zep. :D
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

blackstratblues
Gibson

blackstratblues
Gibson

Slowy wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:23 pm

First impressions, 1969. Wonder if he squirms now thinking of that?
Or maybe he still hates Zep. :D
Here's what he said in Barney Hoskyns 'Trampled Underfoot' (a killer read btw):
“I don’t think anybody paid any particular attention to what I said. My review was a terrible piece of writing and a terrible piece of criticism – I thought Fusion’s was very much better than my own. I’d never been a big fan of the blues. It was absolutely devoid of all the things I liked: melody, wit, vocal harmony. At the end of the first song when Robert Plant sang, “I know what it’s like to be alone,” I thought to myself, “No, he doesn’t.” He sounded sarcastic and glib and it just really annoyed me. And that was the best song on the album.”

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 437 times
Been liked: 256 times

Post by clubhouse »

Can any of you wah freaks ID the grey? bodied wah George uses? Especially noticeable in ep3. a few moments before the roof gig.