handsoffmatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 244 times

Re: John Mayer Megathread

Post by handsoffmatt »

mr_sooty wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:15 am Mighty fine guitarist. Can not listen to him talk though. I got the Where The Light Is DVD when it came out because I liked his playing, but the interviews really put me off him.
I met John Mayer at K'rd Rockshop on his first NZ tour. He came into the store and I sold him a couple of things. It was not long after that first album hit big......when everyone knew him as a teeny-bopper pop boy and had not yet figured out how great a guitar player he is.

I can confirm that even back then, he was kinda unpleasant to deal with and came off to me like a gigantic douchebag (and I do mean gigantic - he's quite a big guy). I won't regale you with the full story, but he left me with the impression that he looked down his nose at us mere retail mortals and was anxious to display how rich and successful he was.

I'm sure he's probably mellowed out a bit as he's "past participle of get" older, but I still saw shades of that arrogant dude I met on those Where the Light Is interviews.

But yeah.....having said all of that, I really like his guitar playing and tone. The guy knows what he's doing!
"Volume is tone" - EVH

Electrics: ESP/Fender/Gibson/.strandberg*/Godin/Washburn/Music Man/Knaggs/Squier/Vintage
Acoustic: Cole Clark/Godin/Takamine/Taylor
Amps: BOSS Katana Head / Friedman Smallbox

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by mr_sooty »

Yeah man, all that driving around in a Mercedes with a handbag dog on is lap, deciding which Rolex to wear that night... so rock n roll. :lol:

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

mr_sooty wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:14 pm Yeah man, all that driving around in a Mercedes with a handbag dog on is lap, deciding which Rolex to wear that night... so rock n roll. :lol:
And... my immediate reaction to that was "He has a handbag dog???" :lol:

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Where The Light Is has some of the greatest Strat tones IMHO but, yeah, when he interrupts the Hendrix track to bang-on about his ability to 'synthesize love', well, that just gives me the shits.

My local cafe has one of his songs on rotation. Must be from a recent album I haven't heard. It's the most repetitive, weak piece of crap ever. Don't suppose he cares. The yummy mummies will still buy it.

And that bit in the doco where he's pressuring some minion to shave. Fuck him.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

handsoffmatt wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:56 pm
mr_sooty wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:15 am Mighty fine guitarist. Can not listen to him talk though. I got the Where The Light Is DVD when it came out because I liked his playing, but the interviews really put me off him.
I met John Mayer at K'rd Rockshop on his first NZ tour. He came into the store and I sold him a couple of things. It was not long after that first album hit big......when everyone knew him as a teeny-bopper pop boy and had not yet figured out how great a guitar player he is.

I can confirm that even back then, he was kinda unpleasant to deal with and came off to me like a gigantic douchebag (and I do mean gigantic - he's quite a big guy). I won't regale you with the full story, but he left me with the impression that he looked down his nose at us mere retail mortals and was anxious to display how rich and successful he was.

I'm sure he's probably mellowed out a bit as he's "past participle of get" older, but I still saw shades of that arrogant dude I met on those Where the Light Is interviews.

But yeah.....having said all of that, I really like his guitar playing and tone. The guy knows what he's doing!
TL:DR? Once a twat, always a quim
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by mr_sooty »

codedog wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:27 pm
mr_sooty wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:14 pm Yeah man, all that driving around in a Mercedes with a handbag dog on is lap, deciding which Rolex to wear that night... so rock n roll. :lol:
And... my immediate reaction to that was "He has a handbag dog???" :lol:
Well that's how I remembered it, like a chiwawa or something. But looks like it might just be a puppy.
Screenshot_20201022-173615_YouTube.jpg
Screenshot_20201022-173615_YouTube.jpg (554.81 KiB) Viewed 5214 times

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Did this nice wee interview with Paul Reed Smith, enjoy!

Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

I posted that in the Youtube Goodness thread yesterday morning just for you jb :wink:
Last edited by Mini Forklift on Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Mini Forklift wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:22 pm I posted that in the Youtube Goodness thread this morning just for you jb :wink:
Completely missed that!! :oops: kisses!!

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

Mini Forklift wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:32 pm

Solo at 2.59. Love the way the song builds, it almost sounds John Mayer-ish. Even the vocals
Not to spam your thread, but did you come across this? Right up your back alley I'd bet

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

This is such an epic version of vultures!

JohnG
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by JohnG »

Love how he is always changing up the interpretations of his songs live. I particularly like watching the live versions of Neon, where he starts off with a completely different crazy intro you have never heard before, after you have spent months just trying to learn one version!

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 188 times
Been liked: 900 times

Post by Marshmallow »

Speaking of John mayer, Just ordered the chassis for a TR build after the small Marshall build.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

J.M. meets his match.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.