An area to discuss erm... musicians?

Moderator: Capt. Black

BY mule
I'm a big Tom Waits fan, and have really come to enjoy Marc Ribot's work on his albums. Here's a taste from my favourite album of theirs together. Love the tone:
(1:40 for solo)

(4:15 for solo)

And something from his own band (2:15 for solo):

I've struggled to get into a lot of his other personal projects, which are more avant-garde jazz sort of stuff that is beyond me. But I don't know of anybody who does the janky latin-blues thing as well.
BY philly
love his tom waits stuff ... but like you struggle with a lot of his other music
mule variations is probly my favourite
BY Vince
I loved Y Los Cubanos Postizos but most of that is covers so I became more interested in the originals.

Mind you, that TONE...

I wasn't as into Muy Divertido.
BY mule
Vince wrote:I loved Y Los Cubanos Postizos but most of that is covers so I became more interested in the originals.

Mind you, that TONE...

I wasn't as into Muy Divertido.

Was listening through some Y Los Cubanos Postizos today. Not knowing most of the originals, the band sounds so at home with them I would have believed they were their own tracks. Such a great sound. I wish their stuff was available on Google Music. Might need to buy the album of Amazon.

BY Vince
mule wrote:Was listening through some Y Los Cubanos Postizos today. Not knowing most of the originals, the band sounds so at home with them I would have believed they were their own tracks. Such a great sound. [/youtube]

I know what you mean, but then reading the sleeve notes...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Prosthetic_Cubans

HAVING SAID THAT... I much prefer Ribot's take on say, Aurora en Pekin than the original. However, (like Buena Vista SC) the album was a great starting place for me to hear a bunch of new things.

Great, great musician, is Ribot. Definitely one of my favourite guitarists.