Marillion - Live At The Royal Albert Hall

An area to discuss erm... musicians?

Moderator: Capt. Black

Mini Forklift
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Marillion - Live At The Royal Albert Hall

Post by Mini Forklift »

Interested to hear what everyone thinks of this, especially from a non-fan perspective. I have the DVD on the way so have been trying to resist watching any of the songs from this show, but I caved in tonight and watched this one...

I turned the lights out, turned the volume up and actually got goosebumps a number of times; just loved everything from the strings arrangement to the vocals and obviously Mr Rothery. Thoughts?

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Re: Marillion - Live At The Royal Albert Hall

Post by olegmcnoleg »

I've been enjoying that for a while. Just brilliant.

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 410 times

Post by null_pointer »

I'm a Fish era fan. Its weird hearing someone who can actually sing in tune live fronting Marillion...oh and Mosley left half the kit at home then did he? The audience actually outnumbered his cymbals!

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1010 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

Wow!!!
First time for me; will definitely be back. 8)

Daza! Watch this. Note the guitarist is playing a Squier Strat. If it's good enough for him......
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

that intro was amazing ... sadly every time I here the name Marillion I always think of this, so can never bring myself to listen to them :rofl: (although I have just listened to hawkwind in the last week so there might be hope)

If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

sty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 207 times
Been liked: 264 times

Post by sty »

I'm a massive Fish era Marillion fan, and while I do really like Seasons End I struggle with a lot of the Hogarth era Marillion stuff because his voice tends to just make all the songs sound so similar, I think they use his voice to be a major part of carrying the melody whereas I always think that Fish's vocals are far more about carrying the lyrics that the tune and therefore I feel I hear more of the instrumentation.

Now having said all that I love what I've seen of that Albert Hall show and I think it's amazing that a band who've really done it hard to get themselves sorted as an independent can do a show like that at such a huge and prestigious venue. I think I might get hold of a copy of that and see if I can get into the whole thing.

On a Marillion related note, the Clutching At Straws deluxe edition on CD/BR and Vinyl is just about to come out, there's some awesome stuff on that album :)

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Thats kinda the vibe I get from Dream Theater / Rush / etc, great prog style over the top music with a terrible singer :lol:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

mrmofo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by mrmofo »

willow13 wrote:that intro was amazing ... sadly every time I here the name Marillion I always think of this, so can never bring myself to listen to them :rofl: (although I have just listened to hawkwind in the last week so there might be hope)

Script for a Jesters tear is a damn good album in my opinion. they were almost part of the NWOBHM at the time.
that might make it easier to digest
There are still some that think the neck PU is moved to accommodate the extra frets which only proves they cannot detect the difference in length of each.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

sty wrote:I think I might get hold of a copy of that and see if I can get into the whole thing.
Happy to send you my copy when I get it and I’ll just order another through my Marillion account - PM me if you were interested. Will have to check and see what the GBP converted to but I think it was around $30 :-)