So who’s next in line to Hendrix?

An area to discuss erm... musicians?

Moderator: Capt. Black

Mini Forklift
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Re: So who’s next in line to Hendrix?

Post by Mini Forklift »

null_pointer wrote:Mayer has been the last I think in a truly populist sense. Guitar solos in songs don’t have wide appeal anymore meaning their purveyors don’t get traction outside of guitarists. And that’s as it should be - the song needs to be great first before you give a damn about whether the solo is kickin. GCJ, Tosin, newer alumni like Asato etc are all great players but the world won’t know their names in the same vein as Hendrix, Slowhand, EVH. So my answer would be ‘nobody’. It’s like saying who are the great pianists of the modern day?
That’s what’s cool with Hendrix, the guy could outplay anybody but any solo he did always served his song, rather than the other way round. 100% with you about Mayer, I just don’t personally feel he would become an icon with what he’s done for guitar up to this point. He’s probably more likely to be remembered for all of his sugary sweet ‘pop’ hits.

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 410 times

Post by null_pointer »

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:
null_pointer wrote:Mayer has been the last I think in a truly populist sense. Guitar solos in songs don’t have wide appeal anymore meaning their purveyors don’t get traction outside of guitarists. And that’s as it should be - the song needs to be great first before you give a damn about whether the solo is kickin. GCJ, Tosin, newer alumni like Asato etc are all great players but the world won’t know their names in the same vein as Hendrix, Slowhand, EVH. So my answer would be ‘nobody’. It’s like saying who are the great pianists of the modern day?
That’s what’s cool with Hendrix, the guy could outplay anybody but any solo he did always served his song, rather than the other way round. 100% with you about Mayer, I just don’t personally feel he would become an icon with what he’s done for guitar up to this point. He’s probably more likely to be remembered for all of his sugary sweet ‘pop’ hits.
Yeah agree, I'm thinking more impact - who inspired a bunch of people in the recent past to go purchase a guitar and give it a crack etc. Whether he's loved or derided, I would expect he'd be high on the stats list in the last 10-15 years. Hendrix had the added (more valuable IMHO) extra of inspiring guitarists to play differently/better...

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

I think Mayer is great at wetting MILFs panties, but beyond that it's just the same old blues licks. IMHO. :mrgreen:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by null_pointer »

jeremyb wrote:I think Mayer is great at wetting MILFs panties, but beyond that it's just the same old blues licks. IMHO. :mrgreen:
Yet, I know a number of younger players (late teens to mid 20s) who were inspired to either start playing, or up their game, thanks to JM. And I'm talking a decent number not just the odd couple or three. Talking to my guitar tutor, 5 years ago JM songs were the most common requests to learn from young aspiring teen lads.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

jeremyb wrote:I think Mayer is great at wetting MILFs panties, but beyond that it's just the same old blues licks. IMHO. :mrgreen:
I think you're mistaking him for John Mayall. Mayer actually doesn't hit the cliches much. Dude can play. He is a tit though
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

null_pointer wrote:
Yet, I know a number of younger players (late teens to mid 20s) who were inspired to either start playing, or up their game, thanks to JM. And I'm talking a decent number not just the odd couple or three. Talking to my guitar tutor, 5 years ago JM songs were the most common requests to learn from young aspiring teen lads.
Milf hunters the lot of them!!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

Mayer for me too. I used to think he's a tit but of late I have really enjoyed watching his stuff. I haven't really watched too many of his early interviews so I can't comment on his ego, but these days he seems to be reasonably humble.

He has bucket loads of Hendrix-isms in his playing, but also impeccable technique and a range of other styles. I watched a video of him describing how he built on someone else's (can't recall whose) stuff to produce New Light. I enjoyed watching that and the song too. Very little guitar hero-ing in that song, but cutely done I thought.

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Aquila Rossa »

me :D

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

As already brought up in a way, it depends if you mean for the wider musical audience, or for guitar players.

Malmsteen had an enormous impact on guitar playing, pretty much defined the neo classical style, but outside of a few old crusties with straggly pony tails, 30yr old leather jackets and a faded Gary Moore t-shirt, no one much cares about him. He really just took existing guitar players somewhere else.

JM still sounds like blues by numbers to me, but if he's inspiring young kids today to step away from their increasingly digital universe and play something analogue, he wins.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by codedog »

Actually... dammit... I just realised JM is probably one of the players who inspired me to pick up the guitar around 4 years ago! So yeah... young kids...

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

jeremyb wrote:EVH was the next big step after Hendrix, since then people have only refined his techniques...
Almost agreed but you forgot The Edge. Christianity has never been the same.

Also, Knopfler single handedly started a revival in clean Fender tones.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by null_pointer »

Slowy wrote: Almost agreed but you forgot The Edge. Christianity has never been the same
:clap:

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

next in line for what :?: ... to me there are plenty of guys who are "up there" with Jimi (you mentioned one of them), plenty of players have changed the way guitar is played to evolve it

I think the next hendrix type guy will be who ever brings electric guitar playing back into main stream popularity making kids want to plug into an amp
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by codedog »

null_pointer wrote:
Slowy wrote: Almost agreed but you forgot The Edge. Christianity has never been the same
Sorry, that went right over my head...

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

codedog wrote:
null_pointer wrote:
Sorry, that went right over my head...
I challenge you to find a modern worship song without dotted 8th delay on it ;)