Moderator: Capt. Black

GrantB
ADMIN
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Re: Pearl Jam - Twenty

Post by GrantB »

rocklander wrote:I've been whining for days.. have you not noticed?
days?
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

sorry... daze
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

better...

I don't care for Mike's playing but he does have good taste in gear.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

stuu
PRS McCarty
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by stuu »

very disappointed at the lack of explaination RE drummers. Jack irons was in the band for what - 3 albums? and only got a mention ONCE.
PlukkyBoy wrote:My ability as a guitar player is easily outstripped by my abilities as a guitar buyer

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

stuu wrote:very disappointed at the lack of explaination RE drummers. Jack irons was in the band for what - 3 albums? and only got a mention ONCE.
Agreed.

twistedthoughts
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 7 times

Post by twistedthoughts »

stuu wrote:very disappointed at the lack of explaination RE drummers. Jack irons was in the band for what - 3 albums? and only got a mention ONCE.
Yeah, I was kinda hoping we'd get their perpectives on things (like with Foo Fighters' Back & Forth) - especially as Jack Irons was often credit as being the guy who saved the band from breaking up. I would have been very interested to see what Dave Abbruzzese had to say as well. They merely glossed over the whole regularly changing drummer thing.

I'm a big PJ fan so I guess that may have contributed to my boredom. Aside from the archive footage and the interviews with Chris Cornell and a few others, it was nothing that wasn't already public knowledge.

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 608 times
Been liked: 946 times

Post by foal30 »

I don’t listen to a lot of rock music but I’m quite enjoying listening properly to Pearl Jam

I was guilty of overlooking them. There’s a combination of cool things going on in many tracks. “Yield” and “Binaural “ are the 2 albums I’m quite taken with

Good bass lines
Creative use of time signature changes
Good guitar tones
Interesting lyrics

“There’s nothing like your baritone “
Genuine Old Frontier Gibberish

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

foal30 wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:23 pm I don’t listen to a lot of rock music but I’m quite enjoying listening properly to Pearl Jam

I was guilty of overlooking them. There’s a combination of cool things going on in many tracks. “Yield” and “Binaural “ are the 2 albums I’m quite taken with

Good bass lines
Good guitar tones
Interesting lyrics

I was a huge fan of them in the 90s, "Jeremy spoke in... classssssss todayyyyy...", yield is a masterpiece, but listening again recently and Eddie's vocals are a bit off putting... weird.
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

foal30 wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:23 pm I don’t listen to a lot of rock music but I’m quite enjoying listening properly to Pearl Jam

Good bass lines
Good guitar tones
Interesting lyrics

Good choices. They do require a bit of intellectualising, but agree with your summary. I dig Matt Cameron's writing - The Fixer is largely his. Great "pop" song but with that weird timing, so good.

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 608 times
Been liked: 946 times

Post by foal30 »

GrantB wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:01 pm

Good bass lines
Good guitar tones
Interesting lyrics

Good choices. They do require a bit of intellectualising, but agree with your summary. I dig Matt Cameron's writing - The Fixer is largely his. Great "pop" song but with that weird timing, so good.
“Evacuation “ is certainly a drummers track
Genuine Old Frontier Gibberish

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 837 times
Been liked: 358 times

Post by jimi »

GrantB wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:01 pm
Been listening to Backspacer a bit lately. Just Breathe was in the Clerks 3 soundtrack, so that had me putting it on, and then reminded how many great tracks are on that album. The Fixer is a stand out, but its in good company there.

Putting a Pearl Jam CD on has become my happy place in recent years.