New Red Hot Chili Peppers single out today.. Opinions?

An area to discuss erm... musicians?

Moderator: Capt. Black

MilitantCynic
Ashton
Ashton
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Re: New Red Hot Chili Peppers single out today.. Opinions?

Post by MilitantCynic »

mr_sooty wrote:Sounded pretty cool to me, quite catchy, but the chorus is a bit cheesy. I liked the guitar playing - bet another new Chillies guitarist? Where's Fruciante this time? Rehab again?
Nah Mr Fruciante doesn't indulge in the 'finer' aspects of life anymore... He even abstains from sex. Think he was just over it, fair enough, quit while your ahead
http://www.nzguitars.com/forum/viewtopi ... =2&t=21328

According to this thread, I am a repungent amp stealing douchebag. Disregard anything I say or do ;)

SammyD
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Re: Re: New Red Hot Chili Peppers single out today.. Opinion

Post by SammyD »

slash-ed wrote:Yeah it wasn't great. Bring back the retarded party boy Blink 182 then we'll talk.

But it was still better IMHO than the RHCP single...
I like the serious Blink 182 and I was a big fan back in the day. They have kinda grown ip and continued the +44 style of music which is one of my fav albums.
If I was of the ilk to place quotes in signatures ... this would be in mine. - NZRS-Dave

Vorbis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vorbis »

Can't even bring myself to listen.
She told me baby when you race today just take along my love with you, and if ya knew how much I love you baby, nothin' could go wrong with you.

Jimmy V
Fender
Fender

Post by Jimmy V »

I think it's alright. It will probably grow on people but I'm not sure it's a single. I kinda like it actually. I dunno, maybe I'm being kind cos I just posted a song and yeah... Glass houses etc :lol:
Man, I love me some Grove.

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

rocklander wrote:heard it this morning.. don't even remember liking it or disliking it so it must be a bit meh, but I remember liking the drumming.
Ha! I didn't realise until I read this that I had heard the single yesterday and registered the same thoughts: alright drumming, meh, meh, blank, blank, blank, dooooooooooooooooooooooo....
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

Some Bozo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Some Bozo »

Heard it, hate the verse marginally less than usual, at least there's some groove going on, but I've got my full hate on for the lame chorus, although there's some nice George Harrison-y bendy stuff in the background.
"You know something's gone badly wrong with the world when Prince has stopped singing about sex, and Morrissey has started."

Marshall
Fender
Fender

Post by Marshall »

Some guy on youtube wrote:Hey new guitarist, could you play exactly like John? Thanks.
:D
Grind 'til your neighbours go blind

Jimmy V
Fender
Fender

Post by Jimmy V »

Marshall wrote:
Some guy on youtube wrote:Hey new guitarist, could you play exactly like John? Thanks.
:D
Haha ouch. I liked his bends etc, found it interesting.
Last edited by Jimmy V on Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pakehendrix
Big Muff

Post by Pakehendrix »

Was expecting to hate it, but actually...I don't. The chorus is alright, and the verses are kinda funky...far from their best, further from their worst.

TBB Flamey
Gibson

Post by TBB Flamey »

Better than I expected it to be. But tbh, they are fully integrated into the machine now. so it is what it is. To compare it to the Chilis of old would be a sad reflection on your on yourself imo

It's catchy, a little bit funky.. it's the Chili peppers. Ill probably have a casual head nod to it the next time I hear it on the radio.
Live love leave eat sandwiches

Pakehendrix
Big Muff

Post by Pakehendrix »

Dunno if anybody got to the end of the song, but there is some really lovely playing in the last 30 seconds or so of it.

Jimmy V
Fender
Fender

Post by Jimmy V »

The more I listen to it, the more I think it's a really good debut for the new fella. I like his parts the most.

Jenesis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Jenesis »

Oo-er!

werdna
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 590 times
Been liked: 458 times

Post by werdna »

RHCP without Frusciante is a different and probably lesser band.

I think Frusciante is a guitar genius. He can be quite a technical player. For example, the song Snow, while not his best, is an absolute bastard to play, sixteenth note arpeggios over C shape chords. His solos are tasteful: check out the simple yet soulful solo on I Could've Lied off Blood Sugar Sex Magic. His funk playing is totally original, sometimes using one off tunings, like Power of Equality on Blood Sugar which is played with the high e string dropped a semi-tone. He can riff like a beast: check out My Lovely Man of BSSM, with its strange timing and use of atonal notes, but at the same time melodic and arty. He throws in double-stops, unison bends, Hendrix rhythm runs, octaves, and unusual inversions of chords, often in the same song but doesn't make it look like he is showing off. Everything he has done sounds like old ideas turned inside out into something original.

He is an example of how a great musician can lift a band up several notches.

He also has some of the most expensive false teeth ever made. He spent five years at home shooting heroin attempting to paint. During that time he failed to brush his teeth, resulting in an armageddon of tooth decay. When the RHCPs reformed, he went to the dentist for the mother of all checkups.
In life, don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

MilitantCynic
Ashton
Ashton

Post by MilitantCynic »

werdna wrote:RHCP without Frusciante is a different and probably lesser band.

I think Frusciante is a guitar genius. He can be quite a technical player. For example, the song Snow, while not his best, is an absolute bastard to play, sixteenth note arpeggios over C shape chords. His solos are tasteful: check out the simple yet soulful solo on I Could've Lied off Blood Sugar Sex Magic. His funk playing is totally original, sometimes using one off tunings, like Power of Equality on Blood Sugar which is played with the high e string dropped a semi-tone. He can riff like a beast: check out My Lovely Man of BSSM, with its strange timing and use of atonal notes, but at the same time melodic and arty. He throws in double-stops, unison bends, Hendrix rhythm runs, octaves, and unusual inversions of chords, often in the same song but doesn't make it look like he is showing off. Everything he has done sounds like old ideas turned inside out into something original.

He is an example of how a great musician can lift a band up several notches.

He also has some of the most expensive false teeth ever made. He spent five years at home shooting heroin attempting to paint. During that time he failed to brush his teeth, resulting in an armageddon of tooth decay. When the RHCPs reformed, he went to the dentist for the mother of all checkups.
He actually didn't have a choice about that check-up. Apparently he had caught an infection that pretty much said "Remove your teeth or die". And also you forgot to mention the title track of BSSM, love the riffs to that song
http://www.nzguitars.com/forum/viewtopi ... =2&t=21328

According to this thread, I am a repungent amp stealing douchebag. Disregard anything I say or do ;)