hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 632 times
Been liked: 802 times

SRV

Post by hamo »

Apparently today is the anniversary of his death. I know because Paul and Ali told me on Breakfast. They even played some SRV. Well, Hendrix via SRV anyway.
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Re: SRV

Post by Bg »

oh goody.....

having said which, Tony Painting is doing a tribute show next wed at the Kings Arms that I'll be along for - only cos I like Tony. I'll be stood outside smoking most of the time ;)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Gelato
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Gelato »

willow13 wrote:I still clearly remember the day I heard the news on the radio and what a shock it was.....RIP
I was on the way to get a cast taken off my left arm, from a broken wrist, when I heard the news on the radio. I had never been into his music, but I remember being shocked to hear what had happened. Strange how you remember things sometimes.
My web site
My band's site

NZRS-Dave wrote:I can help with that cos I read something somewhere about it.

Some Bozo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Some Bozo »

I love SRV but in an "ear candy" kind of a way.
"You know something's gone badly wrong with the world when Prince has stopped singing about sex, and Morrissey has started."

otisredding
Fender
Been liked: 2 times

Post by otisredding »

I think the saddest thing about this is that Stevie's best work was probably in front of him, after he had recently cleaned up . . .

There have been some truly horrible SRV wannabes since his passing but none of that is Stevie's fault.

The man had SOUL and tone in buckets, "... he played every note like he was breaking out of jail . . ", even if the same couldn't be said for his dress sense. 8)

El Chris
Squier

Post by El Chris »

rip my man, heres a video of him ripping it up with Albert King :D

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FlaY1P7mkc[/youtube]

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Hot_Grits »

otisredding wrote:I think the saddest thing about this is that Stevie's best work was probably in front of him, after he had recently cleaned up . . .

There have been some truly horrible SRV wannabes since his passing but none of that is Stevie's fault.

The man had SOUL and tone in buckets, "... he played every note like he was breaking out of jail . . ", even if the same couldn't be said for his dress sense. 8)
You think? -in step and the Vaughan bros album suggested to me he'd lost something in sobriety. Not so much the playing but the tones, the songs and production. Of those three, one is much harder to fix than the other two.
jeremyb wrote: Is it true about the bum sex before marriage thing being ok?

crowbgood1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 341 times
Been liked: 240 times

Post by crowbgood1 »

I'm not sure how anyone can like the blues and not like SRV. He was really really good at it.
A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

crowbgood1 wrote:I'm not sure how anyone can like the blues and not like SRV. He was really really good at it.
Thats a farsical statement....

I don't like Robert Johnson either, though I do like his songs - I am a heretic.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Hot_Grits wrote:
otisredding wrote:I think the saddest thing about this is that Stevie's best work was probably in front of him, after he had recently cleaned up . . .

You think? -in step and the Vaughan bros album suggested to me he'd lost something in sobriety. Not so much the playing but the tones, the songs and production. Of those three, one is much harder to fix than the other two.
lordy, who can forget 'tick-tock people' :eek: I can't forgive Jimmie for that one either...

crowbgood1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by crowbgood1 »

If SRV was just a chap who played at your local pub... what would you think then?

Tall poppy syndrome for Stevie.

Farcical

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

crowbgood1 wrote:If SRV was just a chap who played at your local pub... what would you think then?

Tall poppy syndrome for Stevie.

Farcical
I'd think just the same - I'd think WOW fantastic, then after about 3 songs I'd be stood outside having a smoke...

there are different genres of blues just as there are of music - thats what makes your statement very silly - it implies that because I prefer Jimmy Vaughan over Stevie any day of the week, that I don't like blues.

Thats like saying because I don't particularly like venison - I'm a vegetarian.

crowbgood1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by crowbgood1 »

Touche

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

BG wrote: Thats like saying because I don't particularly like venison - I'm a vegetarian.
HOW CAN YOU NOT LIKE VENISON?!

Follicle.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

I do like some of his songs - Lenny, his version of Tin Pan Alley, Little Wing etc.... and I do own 2 DVD's and most of his albums, but he's just worn thin on me over the years, over-exposed myself probably (oh-errrr) and nowadays mainly due to the proliferation of 'twat in a hat' copiests, I just have to hear the opening of Pride and Joy and I'm stood outside in the rain ;)

I can never hear too much Jimmie though, he's very tasteful and I love his tone.

Oh, and I do like venison - it was a metaphorical dislike ;)