Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2466 times

Re: SRV

Post by Slowy »

Molly wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:29 pm Amazing how miles apart SRV's clean tone on Tin Pan Alley and Knopfler's on the first album are. I was noodlin' in the shed earlier and found I could get a decent approximation of Knopfler's tone with the '54 reissue Strat and my Fender Deluxe Reverb. But as soon as I tried noodlin' with SRV the tone was much too thin. Both Strats and Fender amps but nothing like each other.
Ash/maple 50's pups vs Alder/Rosewood 60's pups?
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Slowy wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:34 pm
Molly wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:29 pm Amazing how miles apart SRV's clean tone on Tin Pan Alley and Knopfler's on the first album are. I was noodlin' in the shed earlier and found I could get a decent approximation of Knopfler's tone with the '54 reissue Strat and my Fender Deluxe Reverb. But as soon as I tried noodlin' with SRV the tone was much too thin. Both Strats and Fender amps but nothing like each other.
Ash/maple 50's pups vs Alder/Rosewood 60's pups?
Yes. I guess so. Endless variables. I may need more Strats. And more amps. :-)

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7692 times
Been liked: 4159 times

Post by jeremyb »

Got a clean boost to fatten things up a bit? Seems to be the key for me, well that and the exceptional Mr Glyns bellbirds in my Strat!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

jeremyb wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:55 am
Got a clean boost to fatten things up a bit? Seems to be the key for me, well that and the exceptional Mr Glyns bellbirds in my Strat!
Yes. Got the EP Booster. Was thinking about a Marshall Super Lead on the way in this morning.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

Molly wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:28 am
Yes. Got the EP Booster. Was thinking about a Marshall Super Lead on the way in this morning.
Wasn't SRV the guy who made the Tube Screamer the legend it is today?
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

Danger Mouse wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:05 am

I think so and, IIRC, he also had gain set at minimum, and used it as a boost.

WellyBlues
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 519 times
Been liked: 352 times

Post by WellyBlues »

Huh, I was going to say that SRV used a compressor but it seems he didn't, the compression came from the Tube Screamer. Pays to check before making the big statements! A Dumble amp might help.
Slowy wrote: Ultimately though, guitars are like women. On paper there's not much difference but only a few can make you happy.
Ray Wylie Hubbard wrote: And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations Well, I have really good days

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 377 times

Post by Dharmajester »

Tone, in Knopfler's case, lots of fingerpicking, light touch . SRV by contrast, heavy handed mofo.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1203 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

SRV's tone is fingers and VOLUME
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

WellyBlues
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 519 times
Been liked: 352 times

Post by WellyBlues »

and big strings, 13s.
Slowy wrote: Ultimately though, guitars are like women. On paper there's not much difference but only a few can make you happy.
Ray Wylie Hubbard wrote: And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations Well, I have really good days

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

codedog wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:14 am
Danger Mouse wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:05 am

I think so and, IIRC, he also had gain set at minimum, and used it as a boost.
Yes that was my understanding, he was the first to really take the TS and run it as a boost, which is now common even in the high gain metalhead community.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

blackstratblues
Gibson
Has liked: 412 times
Been liked: 487 times

Post by blackstratblues »

WellyBlues wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:27 am and big strings, 13s.
11s in Eb do just fine. Higher action helps though, definitely don’t want any fret buzz in there.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

There's endless stuff been written about his tone but I honestly think most of it is him.

blackstratblues
Gibson
Has liked: 412 times
Been liked: 487 times

Post by blackstratblues »

This is an interesting discussion: Philip Sayce and Jesse Davey, two guys who know a bit about the sound

https://youtu.be/wg7-wl9shZE
https://youtu.be/4RgKjY_f4QA

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

Pete Thorn making a decent fist of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4h_iujpSUqA&t=44s