BigScout4
Stagg
Stagg
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Been liked: 5 times

Looking for a valve bass head

Post by BigScout4 »

Hey Bass People,

I've after a valve bass head around the 200w mark. I play with an aggressive drummer so it needs some grunt. Anyone looking for some Xmas cashflow or just free up space in the garage?

Thanks

Jim

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Re: Looking for a valve bass head

Post by Bg »

BigScout4 wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:33 am Hey Bass People,

I've after a valve bass head around the 200w mark. I play with an aggressive drummer so it needs some grunt. Anyone looking for some Xmas cashflow or just free up space in the garage?

Thanks

Jim
Welcome, nothing here sadly I have Ampeg but its S/S, sounds awesome but yeah.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

Do you mind me asking why you're set on a tube bass amp?
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Jonny
Parker (Permanently)
Has liked: 140 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Jonny »

robthemac wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:38 pm Do you mind me asking why you're set on a tube bass amp?
In my mind there is simply nothing as glorious in a rock and roll band (or various others) than a big warm, fuzzy, valve bass sound. The times when I was playing electric I used a couple of different 100 watt valve Marshall heads and it's just the best electric sound I ever had. The whole massive power / solid state clarity thing just misses the mark for me.

200 watts of valve goodness would be yummy.
Yes, M'Lady.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

Fair enough. I gigged bass for about 12 years. I had a few tube amps for a few years, and I agree they sound fantastic. I had issues with reliability though, from Marshall and others. Also, they're just so bloody expensive for anything with sufficient volume. After a while I went to solid state and put an overdrive pedal in front. Much, much more reliable. Much more affordable.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Jonny
Parker (Permanently)
Has liked: 140 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Jonny »

robthemac wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:57 pm Fair enough. I gigged bass for about 12 years. I had a few tube amps for a few years, and I agree they sound fantastic. I had issues with reliability though, from Marshall and others. Also, they're just so bloody expensive for anything with sufficient volume. After a while I went to solid state and put an overdrive pedal in front. Much, much more reliable. Much more affordable.
Fair play. As for us mere monetary mortals it does always come down to a compromise of some sort, and amps can be temperamental beasts, so I do get where you're coming from. That said, I never had a problem with my old Super Bass and if I ever seriously went back to bass I'd love to get another. Along with all the other extravagant shite I "need". :lol:
Yes, M'Lady.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

Jonny wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:15 pm
robthemac wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:57 pm Fair enough. I gigged bass for about 12 years. I had a few tube amps for a few years, and I agree they sound fantastic. I had issues with reliability though, from Marshall and others. Also, they're just so bloody expensive for anything with sufficient volume. After a while I went to solid state and put an overdrive pedal in front. Much, much more reliable. Much more affordable.
Fair play. As for us mere monetary mortals it does always come down to a compromise of some sort, and amps can be temperamental beasts, so I do get where you're coming from. That said, I never had a problem with my old Super Bass and if I ever seriously went back to bass I'd love to get another. Along with all the other extravagant shite I "need". :lol:
My last gigging bass amp was a Fender Rumble 500. Sold it a few months back. Loud as hell. Cheap. Light. Reliable. Would buy the same if I ever picked up a bass again.

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 837 times
Been liked: 358 times

Post by jimi »

yeah, those rumbles are good.

Current and previous bass players in my band both used the previous series Rumble 350s - 2x10, plenty of grunt to them. I'd be getting one of those new 500s too though, mostly for the compactness and weight.

I do miss my old Ampeg rig, but it just took up too much space for something that never got used. That toan though...

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1200 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

There was an Orange 200W bass amp floating about some members here for a while, but not sure who owns it now.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

BigScout4
Stagg
Stagg
Been liked: 5 times

Post by BigScout4 »

Thanks, as Jonny said that warm fuzzy sound that seems to come from beneath the stage has a big drool factor. I have an AMpeg SS so this is just luxury but it's a necessary luxury. I'm playing a passive 82 Jazz with Sans amp pedals and a touch of compression so my sound has grind already but a delicious valve head will keep me amused until the next obsession arrives.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

BigScout4 wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:53 am Thanks, as Jonny said that warm fuzzy sound that seems to come from beneath the stage has a big drool factor. I have an AMpeg SS so this is just luxury but it's a necessary luxury. I'm playing a passive 82 Jazz with Sans amp pedals and a touch of compression so my sound has grind already but a delicious valve head will keep me amused until the next obsession arrives.
Fair enough!

Not sure if you've ever tried the Orange AD200B.. That thing absolutely rocks. Occasionally they come up on the used market.

MogwaiBoy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 242 times

Post by MogwaiBoy »

If you have the means and the money then go for it I say - valves all the way. For guitar there's a lot of premium options for amps - whether you want clean, dirty or in between, but with bass there's really only a couple of amps at the top. That makes decisions a bit easier. Stonking pricey but hey, live once / lifetime investment.

The bassplayer in my band is currently in the process of upgrading from a solid state Ampeg to an SVT. Looking forward to it!

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 386 times

Post by Kris »

generally i agree -moar iron POWER LOUDERER etc but my 250$ peavey mk6 kills for volume and doesnt need a mortgage come time to retube.Not trying to change your mind or say you are wrong but this is a journey most of us haver prob been on already lol

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 386 times

Post by Kris »

*i am also playing thru a wall of 15's*

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Guitarist : "I'm looking to buy a decent solid state amp, sick of reliability and weight issues"
Guitarists : "Are you mental, you can only get pure tone and feel from Valve amps, you should be shot like the traitorous dog you are!!!!"

Bass player : "I'm looking to buy a decent valve amp, I like the tone and feel"
Guitarists : "Nah mate, you want to get yourself a nice solid state amp, better reliability and none of the weight"

just saying...
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.