meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Re: If i was going to buy a bass

Post by robthemac »

StrummersOfThunder wrote:
AiRdAd wrote:
StrummersOfThunder wrote: yeh thats the ticket. far out $350?? you did well
I bought as a whole pile of pieces. A high school student must of intended to do it a highschool project. He'd painted the body terribly, and did the same to the neck. he hadn't even got to assembling it. It was on trademe for $1 reserve and I got it for $250. I spent $100 or so on paint and materials etc. I had to do quite a bit of stripping etc before I could start working on it. It came up really well though, I'm really happy with it. I don't play it much though - should grab it out more often.
wow. I know someone who would love that. our drummer. he has a shitty bass and does some recording
Carl's playing bass now days?
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 57 times

Post by Rog »

No surprises that I’m a Fender bass man all the way, but I would caution anyone against buying a JP90 Fender. I had one: gorgeous neck, which is what made me shell out, but even though I tried every change known to man on it (pickups, pots, strings, etc) I could never get that Fender sound that I love. It was a shame cos it was delightful to play, but just not a real Fender tone, which may be why they didn’t last long in production. I’ve had 3 Gibson basses cos they’re Gibbys, so gotta work, right? Nope, muddy tone that doesn’t cut through in a band situation. I enjoyed my Ricky bass (neck felt like my Precision) but was so disappointed with my Hofner which I bought in 1962 ‘cos some famous dude played one. For the money being talked about here, I think a Squire would be a decent bet. As always - one man’s opinion, but I’ve been doing it since the ‘60s, so do have some idea...
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 807 times
Been liked: 1294 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

There is an old ibanez roadster on TM . perhaps a little over priced at $750 but you might be able to knock it down a little with an outside trade. These are pretty great work horse bass guitars. I always found them to be something of a musicman/fender hybrid.
I have to say I havent played any of the 'new' squier fenders but always found their necks a little 'flimsy' feeling. like you could bend em back without too much force. and the finish was either thick poly or it seemed like nothing at all..bare dry wood.
I had a greco spacey sound which was a great jap p bass . cost me about $250 off j guitar .

Rog

Post by Rog »

I’ll just add to be slightly wary of part-o-casters. Even with good parts, some people forget about correct string lengths between models and intonation problems can arise.

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

Rog

Post by Rog »

That’d do the trick for sure and great price.

crowbgood1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 341 times
Been liked: 240 times

Post by crowbgood1 »

AiRdAd wrote:I did this one. Allparts body and neck. Painted it in nitro. Cost me $350 and a bit elbow grease :-)
CameraZOOM-20200514151104321.jpg
CameraZOOM-20200514151101110.jpg
CameraZOOM-20200514151055354.jpg
When are you selling this?
A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree.

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

crowbgood1 wrote:
AiRdAd wrote:I did this one. Allparts body and neck. Painted it in nitro. Cost me $350 and a bit elbow grease :-)
CameraZOOM-20200514151104321.jpg
CameraZOOM-20200514151101110.jpg
CameraZOOM-20200514151055354.jpg
When are you selling this?
Never sorry :-)
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

jhyang549
Tokai
Tokai
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 201 times

Post by jhyang549 »

Apologies for necro posting but I thought people would find it helpful in buying a $500 bass guitar.

There's a music shop called 'Jerusalem Music Shop' in Papatoetoe. I think what they do is scour Facebook marketplace or Trademe for instruments that are sold very cheap (either due to financial problems or some minor problems that can be quickly fixed), and then re-sell them at the shop. Because of this, they mostly sell used junk instruments - Mannix, Irin, Encore and the like for $100 or so. They also sell used Squier Affinity series instruments so close to buying new, you might as well just go to your nearest Rockshop or Musicworks. They are also selling a used Korg M1 keyboard for $1400!

However, they have in stock a Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass '77. The serial number ICS16104360 indicates that it was made in Indonesia by Cor-Tek in 2016. Facebook marketplace has them selling at $500.

If you're near the area and interested, I'd go check it out and try to haggle it down.
Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (1.07 MiB) Viewed 2593 times