Dodgy rythym and thick strings here...

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

User avatar
BY Olderama
#862458
What would you recommend.
Budget of $500 so would be looking a trade me possibly.

After learning basic bass lines ect and dipping my toes in the water so to speak.

:thumbup: thanks
User avatar
BY Kev77
#862459
Squier the whatever “vibe” range. Can’t go
To wrong
User avatar
BY Danger Mouse
#862466
I know 7/10ths of feck all about basses, but pretty much every aspiring bass player I've worked with has had an Aria Pro II of some description as their workhorse bass. Looks like you can get a new one from RS for your budget.
User avatar
BY jeremyb
#862467
I paid $400?? for a 4 string warwick corvette rock bass secondhand, they're like $1299 new now, its a really fantastic instrument, you should also check out LTD secondhand, I had a 5 string one of those and it was killer too!
User avatar
BY StrummersOfThunder
#862471
Any p bass iteration really. Pickup upgrade can be done cheaply. Will come down to how the neck feels in your hand and the tolerable 'anchor effect' around the neck.
I for one really like Japanese Ibanez basses of the 90s era. Well made, cheap, good sound, easy to play, easy to set up.

Had a Warwick briefly with a badly twisted neck that I got a refund from the TM seller from. Have seen a couple since with similar issues. I'm not sure about their low-mid level stuff ...
User avatar
BY AiRdAd
#862474
I did this one. Allparts body and neck. Painted it in nitro. Cost me $350 and a bit elbow grease :-)

CameraZOOM-20200514151104321.jpg
CameraZOOM-20200514151104321.jpg (171.95 KiB) Viewed 238 times

CameraZOOM-20200514151101110.jpg
CameraZOOM-20200514151101110.jpg (129.31 KiB) Viewed 238 times

CameraZOOM-20200514151055354.jpg
CameraZOOM-20200514151055354.jpg (117.21 KiB) Viewed 238 times
User avatar
BY StrummersOfThunder
#862484
AiRdAd wrote:I did this one. Allparts body and neck. Painted it in nitro. Cost me $350 and a bit elbow grease :-)

CameraZOOM-20200514151104321.jpg

CameraZOOM-20200514151101110.jpg

CameraZOOM-20200514151055354.jpg

yeh thats the ticket. far out $350?? you did well
User avatar
BY AiRdAd
#862487
StrummersOfThunder wrote:
AiRdAd wrote:I did this one. Allparts body and neck. Painted it in nitro. Cost me $350 and a bit elbow grease :-)

CameraZOOM-20200514151104321.jpg

CameraZOOM-20200514151101110.jpg

CameraZOOM-20200514151055354.jpg

yeh thats the ticket. far out $350?? you did well


I bought as a whole pile of pieces. A high school student must of intended to do it a highschool project. He'd painted the body terribly, and did the same to the neck. he hadn't even got to assembling it. It was on trademe for $1 reserve and I got it for $250. I spent $100 or so on paint and materials etc. I had to do quite a bit of stripping etc before I could start working on it. It came up really well though, I'm really happy with it. I don't play it much though - should grab it out more often.
User avatar
BY StrummersOfThunder
#862488
AiRdAd wrote:
StrummersOfThunder wrote:
AiRdAd wrote:I did this one. Allparts body and neck. Painted it in nitro. Cost me $350 and a bit elbow grease :-)

CameraZOOM-20200514151104321.jpg

CameraZOOM-20200514151101110.jpg

CameraZOOM-20200514151055354.jpg

yeh thats the ticket. far out $350?? you did well


I bought as a whole pile of pieces. A high school student must of intended to do it a highschool project. He'd painted the body terribly, and did the same to the neck. he hadn't even got to assembling it. It was on trademe for $1 reserve and I got it for $250. I spent $100 or so on paint and materials etc. I had to do quite a bit of stripping etc before I could start working on it. It came up really well though, I'm really happy with it. I don't play it much though - should grab it out more often.


wow. I know someone who would love that. our drummer. he has a shitty bass and does some recording
User avatar
BY willow13
#862494
I scored a cort gb 34A bass a couple of years ago on TM for $45 and it is awesome ...especially for the price :rofl:
User avatar
BY sizzlingbadger
#862504
There is a nice looking red Yamaha bass on TM for $500, I have no idea about basses though.
User avatar
BY jimi
#862537
I’ve got a 90s MIJ Jazz bass. It’s excellent.

Plenty of good stuff out there at budget level these days though. The Indonesian Sterling Ray 34s are surprisingly good. Ltd make some ugly ass basses that play ridiculously well. Old Ibanez roadster basses can be cool as (and heavy as).