Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Single coil
BANNED
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Re: P-Bass comparison....

Post by Single coil »

I got sick. Didn’t bring bass round. Etc.
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Single coil wrote:I got sick. Didn’t bring bass round. Etc.
Etc.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

smallface
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 270 times
Been liked: 221 times

Post by smallface »

Bg wrote:With a bit more tweaking (oh-err missus) I'm now at the stage where I think its as nice to play as the fender road worn, and the tone is definitely comparable - though this is through Helix. A real amp may show differences.

In fact, my nut is nicer as there are no sharp edges ;) Looking forward to a Dave shootout!

And I doubt it will compare to his 71, but you never know!
Looking forward to that! :-)
I climbed on the back of a giant albatross which flew through a crack in the cloud to a place where happiness reigned all year round and music played ever so loudly

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 608 times
Been liked: 946 times

Post by foal30 »

Young people eh.
Genuine Old Frontier Gibberish

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

So after a few weeks... what have I learned?

I prefer my SX Parts bass.
For :
1/ I love the neck - stripped the back completely, reshaped to my tastes, rolled, frets flattened and polished etc. About 3 coats of tru-oil. And its magic
2/ I like the tone more - they're very similar clean but with a bit of a growl on it, mine actually has more of the classic rock p-bass tone. Though to be fair I set this patch up specifically for my bass and the half round strings it wears. T'other one, just not as bright and growly though the strings should be brighter as they're round wound.
3/ It cost me minimal value, all up it owes me less than 5 hand shandy. Though I had to spend some time on it.

Against:
1/ It doesn't look as good wearing its poly sunburst jacket. Maybe I should break out the spray gun and do it in nitro then relic it.
2/ Obviously no resale as it doesn't say Fender on the headstock

Going to keep playing the same songs with both until Dave requests his p-bass back ;) But I'm picking that one up less and less. its been great doing a comparison so I can transfer the best bits of the real thing to my partser - not physically, I think he'd notice! But just pickup heights and action etc. I've tried to be honest and set them similar but different types of strings are different!

Need another SX donor now! Got to have roundwound p-bass as well right!
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

smallface
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 270 times
Been liked: 221 times

Post by smallface »

Interesting comparison Bg, I've always rated the SX basses too :-) I'll have to get the 71 to you though. I think she might just break your heart ;-)
I climbed on the back of a giant albatross which flew through a crack in the cloud to a place where happiness reigned all year round and music played ever so loudly

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

smallface wrote:Interesting comparison Bg, I've always rated the SX basses too :-) I'll have to get the 71 to you though. I think she might just break your heart ;-)
Oh I'm sure it will!

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Have carried out a little bit of relicing. I hate glossy poly! It looks a hundred percent better to me now. Couldn't resist putting a bit of fake wear in there as well. So shoot me!

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by foal30 »

Bg wrote:Have carried out a little bit of relicing. I hate glossy poly! It looks a hundred percent better to me now. Couldn't resist putting a bit of fake wear in there as well. So shoot me!
I hope that wasn't Dave's '71 you were relicing bro....

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

foal30 wrote:
Bg wrote:Have carried out a little bit of relicing. I hate glossy poly! It looks a hundred percent better to me now. Couldn't resist putting a bit of fake wear in there as well. So shoot me!
Argh! I should have checked first.

Still he wouldn't want it back after that eh.

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by foal30 »

Bg wrote:
foal30 wrote:
Argh! I should have checked first.

Still he wouldn't want it back after that eh.
Fair point. I'm sure he'll understand.