Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 227 times

Re: Action...

Post by Delayman »

I have to look at this on my daughter’s bass. I put lighter strings on for her. I picked it up the other day and the fret buzz is horrendous. Thanks dad...
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2255 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Thanks regular guitarists for opining in the bass section....
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 608 times
Been liked: 946 times

Post by foal30 »

Bg wrote:Thanks regular guitarists for opining in the bass section....
It's more than time they got schooled on a real instrument.

Action can be determined by

A - tension and type of strings
B - the style of music the instrument is being used for
C - the technical Facilty or preference of the player
D - the actual design constraints of the instrument

A - I have 6 Bass Guitars, 2 of which are strung with stainless steel Roundwounds. These 2 instruments have the lowest action

B - Mostly I play Blues or Jazz or Soul. Generally I don't need any "clank" or "thwack" in the sound I want to project

C - On a passive Fender fretless the action is slightly lower than I'd prefer because I lack the "muscle power" post injury. Tony mentioned "touch" earlier... this is a critical thing. For the guys that also play Double Bass generally they will have a higher action (YMMV)

D - Things have certainly improved in this regard but I've 'had a go' on instruments whose design faults made them unsuitable to play because to be in tune the action was better suited for archery or even trampolining.
Genuine Old Frontier Gibberish

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

I made my bass and set the action, at what I thought were comfortable levels. I lent it to crowbegoods bassist to record their album, and the action came back HEAPS higher.

Probably because I set it up for how a guitarist plays a bass, not how a bassist plays
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

kwhelan
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 123 times
Been liked: 93 times

Post by kwhelan »

Single coil wrote:
KNNZ wrote:I like it when my bass strings "fight back" :mrgreen:
There’s something about an effortless guitar that’s just a bit meh.
I like one you have to fight with just a little bit. Like you’ve gotta earn its respect first.
bollocks, couldn't disagree more, picked up casually a few shitty guitars from time to time in shops or students hands, can't wait to pass then back ,sharp frets, sharp bridges that cut your palm, incorrect string spacings, tuners that slip when you bend.
no wonder people give up trying to play when they're fighting it and don't even know it

KNNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1777 times
Been liked: 667 times

Post by KNNZ »

I thought the thread is on string action. I play a EBMM Stingray 4 with medium high action coz I dislike super low action, it does not have sharp frets or sharp bridges etc, the strings fight back a little when I play and that’s how I like it, it’s not s cheap shitty bass lol

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 653 times
Been liked: 556 times

Post by TmcB »

KNNZ wrote:I thought the thread is on string action. I play a EBMM Stingray 4 with medium high action coz I dislike super low action, it does not have sharp frets or sharp bridges etc, the strings fight back a little when I play and that’s how I like it, it’s not s cheap shitty bass lol
No, it is definitely not a cheap shitty bass - my no 1 is a ‘90s Ray.

Higher action will deliver your notes cleaner and fatter, and will give you more bite/attack in your sound because you have to play harder.

Lower action is a bit smoother and you can get that raspy growl out of it when you dig in, which really suits a Jazz Bass. I like to use that snarl as an effect.

I’ve been running 105’s for years but just switched to 100’s because of my 5 string came with bridge cable tension GHS Flats on it and I thought I’d give it whirl. Great decision, can really fly around the board now.

Have had to change my right hand technique to floating thumb to deal with the B but it’s seeming like a straightforward adaption
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

kwhelan wrote: [missing the point 101]
I don’t recall saying I like shitty guitars that try to give the player tetanus.
This is a thread about action, not a shitty guitar.
Perhaps I have my guitar string height (you know, action) a little higher on some of them, and just maybe that’s the “fighting” I’m describing. :yawn:
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

Chupacabra
Stagg
Stagg
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by Chupacabra »

Been wanting to try out a bit of slap and pop on my Epi Thunderbird but the action was way too high. So studied Utube and adjusted the tunomatic bridge and got some great snap and poop instead. Snap went the G string (which is normally a good thing hehe) and out poped the stud. No damage phew..

Then adjusted the intonation. Looks like will have to make up some spacers to extend the new strings to come between the eyelets and rear of bridge as the red wrap stuff on the ends of the strings is ontop of the saddles with the correct settings.

Basically ended up several times loosening the strings, and screwing the bridge down till I could play clean or rasp by just using dynamics. Bass now sounds way better, is easier and faster to play. Strings are low enouugh to slap and pop but that is going to take a heap of practice.

Planning not to screw with the rod up the neck if I can help it.
Just a semitone away from nailing it.

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by foal30 »

The Tension difference between
D'Addario Chromes and Steels is 65lb for the 105E sets
I'm wondering if this could be an issue for the old bass neck

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

bums, wanted to get the action lower on my Aria. Its excellent now, really low if I want it. Until I put the neck pickup back in then the strings are grabbed by the pole pieces haha.

Ok going to make a tapered shim, I want it reasonably low. Or rather I want to be able to go low if the fancy takes me.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

Bg wrote:bums, wanted to get the action lower on my Aria. Its excellent now, really low if I want it. Until I put the neck pickup back in then the strings are grabbed by the pole pieces haha.

I'm assuming you've considered dropping the height of the neck pickup?
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

robthemac wrote:
Bg wrote:bums, wanted to get the action lower on my Aria. Its excellent now, really low if I want it. Until I put the neck pickup back in then the strings are grabbed by the pole pieces haha.

I'm assuming you've considered dropping the height of the neck pickup?
My first thought, sadly its fixed. It rests on the neck tenon, and there is no adjustment.

Actually that brings a further problem into light... it rests on the top of the neck tenon. So I'll need to fit a shim and remove some from the neck tenon.

Maybe I'll just raise the strings a couple of mm and be done with it ;)

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by foal30 »

Ok going to make a tapered shim, I want it reasonably low. Or rather I want to be able to go low if the fancy takes me.
Play Bass - GET MORE ACTION

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

No idea with regards to measurements, but it's not low and I don't think it's high either.

So I'm gonna go with medium :-)