Dodgy rythym and thick strings here...

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

BY el byrdo
Sounds cool. I'm going for flats next time I buy srtings for the squier.
BY Bg
I love the flats on my Aria but just wouldn't be right on a P-Bass in my head - I'll probably get a set to try at some point. Its not like I can't switch back and forwards.
I just can't imagine playing that riff at the start of 'No more heroes' with flatwounds ;)
BY Single coil
Ok, you bastards just reminded me to spend money on more shit I don’t reeeeeally need :lol:
BY Bg
Single coil wrote:Ok, you bastards just reminded me to spend money on more shit I don’t reeeeeally need :lol:

You do need it ;) Have you still got Aria Bass? I can report on the success/failure of an actual adjusting bridge when it arrives :D
BY Single coil
That’s already thuddy enough. I’m thinkin for my p style wot haz rounds. It’s done well for all my recording so far.
BY foal30
I thought that was your old one but didn't remember you selling it
BY foal30
Bg wrote:Woah those half round strings feel freaky at first, I thought they were sticky and were old stock or something. But according to Talkbass, thats how they are. They do wear in though apparently, even in the last hour they've improved beyond compare to how they first felt. So many put them on then bin them in the first 5 mins. I love that they feel pretty smooth but still keep the P-Bass tone that I think would be lost with full flats on it.

Mods to this bass so far include:
Removed poly from neck and oiled, reshaped all the sharp edges that bug me.
Reshaped headstock (the standard sx shape bugs me)
Fret dress, recrown, polish etc
Gotoh Tuners
Pro-series wiring
Rio Grande vintage pickups

Still to come:
Gotoh bridge.

Sounds like a million bucks :) Plays like buttah :) Worth the cost of upgrades? Bass cost me 100 bucks, I've spent about another 4 hand shandy or so on it - yeah I won't be selling unless I get a special p-bass for next to nothing...

Did you get D'Addario Halfwounds?
BY foal30
I put some on the Tobias because the high end on that with S/S Rounds was (for me) unusable/ too abrasive.

You can definitely dig in on Halfs

Before putting a set on the Tobias I hadn't used Halfwounds since the late 80's early 90's
BY foal30
I was going to restring my Jazz tonight but just can't be arsed.
Once you've had a Steinberger its a drag changing strings
BY foal30
el byrdo wrote:Sounds cool. I'm going for flats next time I buy srtings for the squier.

Maybe try Chromes first
Give them 4-6 weeks to calm down
BY el byrdo
Yeah chromes. Light gauge. And I'll take down the action and relief while I'm at it.
BY foal30
el byrdo wrote:Yeah chromes. Light gauge. And I'll take down the action and relief while I'm at it.

I prefer a higher action with Flats

Yes look at the relief as Flats obviously increase the tension on the instrument
I've got the respective weights around here somewhere I'll post them up at some point.

Without trying to sounfpd like Nervous Nellie they will 'feel' different too...but IMO well worth trialling / faffing about with.
BY el byrdo
the question is do flats sound better than dead rounds? because I never change bass strings so they're always dead. I would like a jazz or something for the honkier parts but I'm no bassists so meh..