jhyang549
Tokai
Tokai
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 201 times

Re: Anyone like bass guitars?

Post by jhyang549 »

I didn't know that Ash Customworks made bass guitars as well. I have a Radian Les Paul that I bought from somebody in nzguitars for a great price. Great guitars.

hercules
Squier
Has liked: 76 times
Been liked: 247 times

Post by hercules »

jhyang549 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:23 pm I didn't know that Ash Customworks made bass guitars as well. I have a Radian Les Paul that I bought from somebody in nzguitars for a great price. Great guitars.
It’s an excellent bass, as was one of the others I played. I think Adrian’s own bass prowess influenced his skill with them.

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 608 times
Been liked: 946 times

Post by foal30 »

jhyang549 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:23 pm I didn't know that Ash Customworks made bass guitars as well. I have a Radian Les Paul that I bought from somebody in nzguitars for a great price. Great guitars.
He made at least 3 Fretless Basses.

One ended up on the West Coast/ Hokitika. Fijian Kauri with Seymour Duncan electronics

There was one with Bartolinis which I probably should have purchased from Ben / Manicbanjonest. I ended up getting a Fretless Jazz ($ price was cheap) but I think I should have been more adventurous.
303FD58E-C185-438A-9477-58CCFE77A6C6.jpeg
303FD58E-C185-438A-9477-58CCFE77A6C6.jpeg (1.38 MiB) Viewed 1260 times
Genuine Old Frontier Gibberish

hercules
Squier

Post by hercules »

Rather a tasty amp there Mr Foal. I have long been curious but never played through one.

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by foal30 »

hercules wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:19 am Rather a tasty amp there Mr Foal. I have long been curious but never played through one.
The CTM-300 is very good

Definitely a try before buy amplifier though. The EQ is quirky and in some ways counterintuitive. I wouldn’t call it multi-purpose but it’s just what I wanted from a valve head

If you like flatwound strings and a touch of OD it’s way cool.

hercules
Squier

Post by hercules »

Yum. Even with the Markbass/Origin Bass Rig setup, I still miss tubes :(

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 653 times
Been liked: 556 times

Post by TmcB »

hercules wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:56 pm Yum. Even with the Markbass/Origin Bass Rig setup, I still miss tubes :(
Miss that tube vibe of epic dynamics.

First time I fired up an SVT I was scared of how limitless it felt
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

jhyang549
Tokai
Tokai

Post by jhyang549 »

New Bass Day :D

Introducing my new bass guitar, the Cort A4 Plus FMMH (Open Pore Black Cherry).

This will be an upgrade to my existing, cheap (but good) Artist JB2 (which is a Jazz Bass knockoff).

The price I was looking to spend was around $1k, and I spent a lot of time trying out the best basses I could get new or used for that money. Squier Classic Vibes 70s P Bass, G&L Tribute, Epiphone, Ibanez soundgear, Jackson etc. Basically, guitars that were either made by Cort or Samick in their Indonesia factories. I also spent a lot of time browsing Trademe, Facebook marketplace and this forum.

Knowing that Cort makes a lot of instruments for Squier, G&L Tribute, Ibanez, Jackson etc, I've decided to take a chance on a Cort instrument. Rubber Monkey had some stupid discounts on them (it's ended when I checked a few minutes ago). Their retail price for the Cort A4 Plus was $1399, which was discounted to $979 (over 30% off). At that price, they were definitely making a loss and trying to get rid of their old stock.

It's a lot nicer than I anticipated. Neck thru design. Hipshot bridge and tuners. "Bartolini" pickups and preamp (equivalent to Duncan Designed). Fretwork is great and the abalone inlays look really nice.

I expected that it would really need a setup because it was sitting in the original box in Rubber Monkey's warehouse after being shipped from Indonesia for over 6 months. But actually, it was playable right out of the box. It would need its intonation calibrated once I receive my Sadowsky Blue Label Stainless Steel Flatwounds. Neck relief looks good. Good action too (just a hair high than I would like).

Also nice that this comes with a standard 1 year warranty from Rubber Monkey. Their support was really good too.

Very happy with my new bass!
Attachments
IMG_20220804_164555419.jpg
IMG_20220804_164555419.jpg (2.89 MiB) Viewed 1163 times

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by foal30 »

Nice one

Let me know how you like the strings, I got some SS Rounds and Flats from Gheraldo but yet to fit them 😂😂

jhyang549
Tokai
Tokai

Post by jhyang549 »

foal30 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:45 pm Nice one

Let me know how you like the strings, I got some SS Rounds and Flats from Gheraldo but yet to fit them 😂😂
:rofl: I'll buy them from you in 2 years

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by foal30 »

jhyang549 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:56 pm
foal30 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:45 pm Nice one

:rofl: I'll buy them from you in 2 years
Hopefully next week, highly likely given weather forecast

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by foal30 »

TmcB wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:00 pm
hercules wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:56 pm Yum. Even with the Markbass/Origin Bass Rig setup, I still miss tubes :(
Miss that tube vibe of epic dynamics.

First time I fired up an SVT I was scared of how limitless it felt
Did you keep the GB 2x12” cabinet?

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 653 times
Been liked: 556 times

Post by TmcB »

No, eventually sold it. Kept that for a long, long while until I ended up just going ampless for all my gigs.

Bought a Fralin P pickup just before so it’s not all sadness
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

I have the Bugera knock-off SVT, and I'm scared how little the knobs affect the tone - other than quiet, loud, louder, lower louder, hi louder. Not sure what the preamp valves do as no matter where the knob is set, there is no grind. I take a valve out and it stops working so they must be in the circuit somewhere.

It was cheap and the graphic eq works at least. As does the mute button. Having said which, it shakes my window frames and annoys the neighbours so its a win :)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

jhyang549
Tokai
Tokai

Post by jhyang549 »

I've had success intonating a Hipshot TransTone bridge, which was more complicated than my Jazz Bass knockoff. I'll adjust the saddle height later.

Oddly, the Hipshot TransTone bridge allows strings to be top loaded and strung through the body. The factory strings are strung through the body but the angles look... pretty dodgy. Once I have my new strings, I'll just top load for peace of mind.