jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 837 times
Been liked: 358 times

Re: Anyone like bass guitars?

Post by jimi »

Bg wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:15 pm I have the Bugera knock-off SVT, and I'm scared how little the knobs affect the tone - other than quiet, loud, louder, lower louder, hi louder. Not sure what the preamp valves do as no matter where the knob is set, there is no grind. I take a valve out and it stops working so they must be in the circuit somewhere.

It was cheap and the graphic eq works at least. As does the mute button. Having said which, it shakes my window frames and annoys the neighbours so its a win :)
LOL... I keep telling myself that if I need a bass amp again Im just gonna grab a fender rumble combo and be done with it. But then I know I'll be looking for that little bit of glorious SVT breakup and grind, and soon enough I'll be down a rabbit hole of needing a bigger car to carry my bass amp around again.
DSCF0564.jpg
DSCF0564.jpg (117.84 KiB) Viewed 1185 times

I miss the amp, I dont miss driving a station wagon.

jhyang549
Tokai
Tokai
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 201 times

Post by jhyang549 »

My back is sore just by looking at that obelisk.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

jimi wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:01 pm
Bg wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:15 pm I have the Bugera knock-off SVT, and I'm scared how little the knobs affect the tone - other than quiet, loud, louder, lower louder, hi louder. Not sure what the preamp valves do as no matter where the knob is set, there is no grind. I take a valve out and it stops working so they must be in the circuit somewhere.

It was cheap and the graphic eq works at least. As does the mute button. Having said which, it shakes my window frames and annoys the neighbours so its a win :)
LOL... I keep telling myself that if I need a bass amp again Im just gonna grab a fender rumble combo and be done with it. But then I know I'll be looking for that little bit of glorious SVT breakup and grind, and soon enough I'll be down a rabbit hole of needing a bigger car to carry my bass amp around again.

DSCF0564.jpg

that cab was enormous! It was like a coffin :)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by jimi »

Bg wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:36 pm one of our cats goes in for an emergency op tomorrow - 8k, insurance has 5k left in the 'kitty' - gallows humour.

Heartbreaking to see a very healthy lad a shadow of his former self. Dreading the point when the money is the priority :(
Hope he's doing ok post op!

A corneal graft for a ruptured eyeball was my surprise vet bill last week. We were literally down to our last physio session from the leg reconstruction last December too. can't get away from them.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

I went to see him today, technically he's ok but he looks bloody miserable and he's half his healthy weight. I gave him a brush but he was very sad. I had a good blub when I got out. Picking him up tomorrow and then 2 weeks cage rest but he's reaching the point of no return weight wise, they're trying to rush test results through. He had to have an extra night due to having the squits this morning, there goes another $600! That gave me the shits as well.

Shit, hope the eye comes right, seeing pets in pain is bad :(
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by jimi »

jhyang549 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:04 pm My back is sore just by looking at that obelisk.
hah, I dont think I ever had to lift it - it had casters to wheel around, and a couple of rails on the back so you'd just tilt it back then slide it into the wagon.

at 75kgs, was probably just as well. Didnt have it long, got downsized to an Ampeg Bseries 4x10 which really was still more amp that was needed.

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by jimi »

Bg wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:14 pm I went to see him today, technically he's ok but he looks bloody miserable and he's half his healthy weight. I gave him a brush but he was very sad. I had a good blub when I got out. Picking him up tomorrow and then 2 weeks cage rest but he's reaching the point of no return weight wise, they're trying to rush test results through. He had to have an extra night due to having the squits this morning, there goes another $600! That gave me the shits as well.
that sounds awful. our place is miserably empty when the cat is away for just one night.

fingers crossed you've got him home tomorrow!

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

the others are missing him too, he's such a big softy and normally so happy, running around with his tail in the air like a bushy flagpole. Heartbreaking :(

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

I hope you pronounce it buggerer!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

jeremyb wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:34 pm

I hope you pronounce it buggerer!
with a proper northern accent. Buggerra Baastad.

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 608 times
Been liked: 946 times

Post by foal30 »

Bg wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:05 pm
jimi wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:01 pm

DSCF0564.jpg

that cab was enormous! It was like a coffin :)
Jimi’s got a big one.
Genuine Old Frontier Gibberish

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 608 times
Been liked: 946 times

Post by foal30 »

Kev there is a second hand Nordstrom MM style pickup on TM
Could worth a bo peep
Genuine Old Frontier Gibberish

jhyang549
Tokai
Tokai
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 201 times

Post by jhyang549 »

I've spent this afternoon playing my new bass guitar through my DAW, cycling through all my sound-mangling plugins. Had an absolute blast, especially through distortion, fuzz and overdrive. It's wondrous how halving the fundamental frequency makes such an impact.
Last edited by jhyang549 on Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hercules
Squier
Has liked: 76 times
Been liked: 247 times

Post by hercules »

foal30 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:33 pm Kev there is a second hand Nordstrom MM style pickup on TM
Could worth a bo peep
Oops...I put a bid in on that to restore my Ash Radian bass...

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 653 times
Been liked: 556 times

Post by TmcB »

hercules wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:04 pm
foal30 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:33 pm Kev there is a second hand Nordstrom MM style pickup on TM
Could worth a bo peep
Oops...I put a bid in on that to restore my Ash Radian bass...
Watch out for that one - it has the fake coil on the bottom so needs extra space
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz