Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

TmcB
I may have a problem
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 653 times
Been liked: 556 times

Re: Bass effects!

Post by TmcB »

Tidy! Love the VT Bass. What do you thing of the XXL?
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 608 times
Been liked: 946 times

Post by foal30 »

There was a XXL on the Tard last week
Genuine Old Frontier Gibberish

crowbgood1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 341 times
Been liked: 240 times

Post by crowbgood1 »

I'm thinking about a MXR M108. Anyone have experience with these Eq's?
A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree.

Mattallica
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 558 times
Been liked: 175 times

Post by Mattallica »

foal30 wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:57 pm Lots of Tech21😎
Way back when I was a bass noob I determined they were a good brand for bass stuff. And I wasn't wrong.

I bought the XXL as I read John Stockman of Karnivool used it and I was smitten with Sound Awake at the time. Pretty sure he kicked off the modern metal clangy bass sound..

TmcB
I may have a problem

Post by TmcB »

Mattallica wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:03 am
Way back when I was a bass noob I determined they were a good brand for bass stuff. And I wasn't wrong.

I bought the XXL as I read John Stockman of Karnivool used it and I was smitten with Sound Awake at the time. Pretty sure he kicked off the modern metal clangy bass sound..
Good inspiration there.

I would go with you on influence - Darkglass dude stated he was inspired by John Stockman’s tone and trying to capture it in a pedal and now they’re the biggest name ever in bass dirt. Darkglass pedals are now synonymous with modern metal bass tone.
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".

TmcB
I may have a problem

Post by TmcB »

crowbgood1 wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:15 am I'm thinking about a MXR M108. Anyone have experience with these Eq's?
I have not. Had a bit of experience with graphic EQ’s on bass, and I can’t help but feel they’re a surgical tool rather than a tone enhancer.

I’d go for something with parametric eq like a Q-Strip

Mattallica
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Mattallica »

TmcB wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:34 am
Mattallica wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:03 am

Good inspiration there.

I would go with you on influence - Darkglass dude stated he was inspired by John Stockman’s tone and trying to capture it in a pedal and now they’re the biggest name ever in bass dirt. Darkglass pedals are now synonymous with modern metal bass tone.
When the Alpha Omega came out I thought "Huh, that's just a pimped out XXL, cheeky" but what they've done with it since is nothing short of incredible. Quietly hoping the XXL will become collectible..

Kinda want to build one of these now https://www.pedalpcb.com/product/obsidius/

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by foal30 »

foal30 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:25 pm The Solidgoldfx OF works nicely with the VCA Compressor and Boss PEQ behind it

I think this pedal should be designed as 2x3 not 1x3 plus switch😐 The preamp setting I want different than the OD so having separate dials would make this pedal significantly better /useful

But it’s well made , cool low gain OD. The preamp side should have a bit less hair for my tastes but I haven’t fired it up through a big SS rig with a Rock Band yet. I think it’ll be awesome in that setting

Talked to Solidgoldfx and they make a Beta DLX version. I’ll investigate further. I’ve sort of decided I can keep this little one as a PreAmp or Boost as it always adds a little hair (IMO the pre should be clean as)

With the Diamond Comp and Sadowsky Pre behind it WOW the Precision w/Chromes is fucking unreal. And I haven’t fired it up through a big rig yet :shock: where I think the Solidgoldfx Beta Germanium will shine.

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by foal30 »

jeremyb wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:14 pm
foal30 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:29 pm The Ashdown Subharmonic Octaver is among the most annoying pieces of equipment I have ever owned

Normally I would have binned it but in there is a brilliant reliable smooth cool Octaver

It’s just who knows when it’s going to perform 😂😂😂. It adds hi end hiss if it’s not in tandem with the correct pedals It hates the the tone or Treble boost of any bass guitar😩. I think it wants it’s own power spot rather than sharing so it’s probably first one out. It can lag but again it’s not clear to me yet when that will happen 😂😂
Does it take a 9V battery? See if that improves it :-)
It behaves better with a Passive Bass rather than an Active one

Need to make a decision on this pedal. Does sound great with the Diamond in front of it. But it’s still temperamental with hi end hiss.

Weather forecast is absolutely dire this week so Tuesday I’ll run it independently at the front of the board then independent as #2 behind the Diamond. Any problems and it’s gonski as the FTT BB I prefer in front of the Diamond

Mattallica
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Mattallica »

TmcB wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:27 pm Tidy! Love the VT Bass. What do you thing of the XXL?
Whoops missed this the first time. Once I get reacquainted I will let you know. This might take a while. I got as far as putting it together

Mattallica
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Mattallica »

foal30 wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:51 pm There was a XXL on the Tard last week
Which colour was it?
I'd like an original chrome one to round the collection. I won't be paying more than $100 though.

Mattallica
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Mattallica »

Mattallica wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:12 am
foal30 wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:51 pm There was a XXL on the Tard last week
Which colour was it?
I'd like an original chrome one to round the collection. I won't be paying more than $100 though.
https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/marketplace ... ?archive=1

Found it. Bass version. Nice

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by foal30 »

0488F1A9-ADCB-489D-A178-151A2F454F32.jpeg
0488F1A9-ADCB-489D-A178-151A2F454F32.jpeg (1.07 MiB) Viewed 1907 times
Successful operation

Now for a technical question. Will certain pedals ‘play up’ if other pedals are drawing different power? I think the answer is Yes.

A lot of fiddling and trial to get here. But it seems to be the optimal Order-Cables- Power

hercules
Squier
Has liked: 76 times
Been liked: 247 times

Post by hercules »

Well Mr. Foal and others concerned, I can offer a better (though far from comprehensive) review of the Origin Effects Bassrig Super Vintage.
IMG_3688.jpg
IMG_3688.jpg (350.33 KiB) Viewed 1898 times
Controls and usability
4/5
It's quite a mixture of 'set and forget' vs. 'tweak as needed' controls. The big blue knobs are easy enough to understand and operate, though the mid control (coupled with a selectable frequency band) isn't immediately intuitive, particularly if you aren't familiar with SVTs.

Build quality
5/5
Probably the most well-built bit of kit I own. Everything on it is precise, immaculate and weighty. The control knobs are beautiful, and I love the long toggle switches. Their durability would be my only concern, but this is also not something you'd be stomping on regularly so I reckon they're more than fit for purpose.

Sounds
4.5/5
Put simply, this is the only pedal (and DI) that really behaves like what it's trying to emulate. The controls are hugely interactive, and that might put off some who want an SVT "effect". It's not really a drive pedal you kick on, and it's probably even a bit of overkill as a preamp (depending on what you're running it into).

I always found Sansamps (including VT Bass) to sound very much like an effect, or perhaps a recreation of a recorded Ampeg tone rather than the feel of an amplifier. This is quite the opposite. Since the drive (and clean blend) are completely integrated, you pretty much find your base level of overdrive and leave it there. The amount of drive affects the rest of the pedal quite a lot. Boost the drive and you'll need to compensate by changing the blend or EQ, cos it's all...integrated. One big sound, one unified amplifier, rather than a separate drive 'layer'. I might not be explaining this part very well, but put it this way: if I want to kick in a drive pedal, I'd put one before this in the chain.

Running as purely a stompbox, it encourages you to set your amp (Markbass LM Vintage in my case) completely flat and clean, and sculpt with the Bassrig's controls - sculpt being the operative word. It doesn't totally change your core tone, but it presents it in a very Ampeg-like way. I'd be curious to know how it went with more of a 'character' amp like an Orange; the Markbass is pretty neutral, which may play into the strengths of this. The Amp Out EQ (silver screw-type knobs) lets you alter the LF and HF response to suit your amp, so it could be mostly moot.

As for the 8x10 cabinet simulation, I haven't been able to test it as a true DI pedal other than into my recording interface. It sounds impressive and far, far better to my ears than the Amplitube SVT model.

The only reason I've deducted half a point is that I wish there was a preset for kicking the gain up a notch; however, that would come at a cost of accuracy to the SVT.

Quirks and foibles
I find a few Origin pedals have the same thing: surprisingly low output. Unity is well above noon, which probably makes no difference really, but I do wonder why there's so much room for below-unity settings.

It's also absolutely massive, and for my board, I'd prefer more of a landscape layout (being very fussy here). Same with having the XLR out on the top, it means I have to have it on the top row of my board.

Does it really sound like a spongey, tubey, beautiful SVT?
No, because it's not. But as someone who has weekly bad dreams about having to sell his SVT years ago, this is really an exceptionally good option. It's warm, fat and captures almost all of that SVT-in-the-mix magic I crave.

TmcB
I may have a problem

Post by TmcB »

hercules wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 4:02 pm Well Mr. Foal and others concerned, I can offer a better (though far from comprehensive) review of the Origin Effects Bassrig Super Vintage.

IMG_3688.jpg

Controls and usability
4/5
It's quite a mixture of 'set and forget' vs. 'tweak as needed' controls. The big blue knobs are easy enough to understand and operate, though the mid control (coupled with a selectable frequency band) isn't immediately intuitive, particularly if you aren't familiar with SVTs.

Build quality
5/5
Probably the most well-built bit of kit I own. Everything on it is precise, immaculate and weighty. The control knobs are beautiful, and I love the long toggle switches. Their durability would be my only concern, but this is also not something you'd be stomping on regularly so I reckon they're more than fit for purpose.

Sounds
4.5/5
Put simply, this is the only pedal (and DI) that really behaves like what it's trying to emulate. The controls are hugely interactive, and that might put off some who want an SVT "effect". It's not really a drive pedal you kick on, and it's probably even a bit of overkill as a preamp (depending on what you're running it into).

I always found Sansamps (including VT Bass) to sound very much like an effect, or perhaps a recreation of a recorded Ampeg tone rather than the feel of an amplifier. This is quite the opposite. Since the drive (and clean blend) are completely integrated, you pretty much find your base level of overdrive and leave it there. The amount of drive affects the rest of the pedal quite a lot. Boost the drive and you'll need to compensate by changing the blend or EQ, cos it's all...integrated. One big sound, one unified amplifier, rather than a separate drive 'layer'. I might not be explaining this part very well, but put it this way: if I want to kick in a drive pedal, I'd put one before this in the chain.

Running as purely a stompbox, it encourages you to set your amp (Markbass LM Vintage in my case) completely flat and clean, and sculpt with the Bassrig's controls - sculpt being the operative word. It doesn't totally change your core tone, but it presents it in a very Ampeg-like way. I'd be curious to know how it went with more of a 'character' amp like an Orange; the Markbass is pretty neutral, which may play into the strengths of this. The Amp Out EQ (silver screw-type knobs) lets you alter the LF and HF response to suit your amp, so it could be mostly moot.

As for the 8x10 cabinet simulation, I haven't been able to test it as a true DI pedal other than into my recording interface. It sounds impressive and far, far better to my ears than the Amplitube SVT model.

The only reason I've deducted half a point is that I wish there was a preset for kicking the gain up a notch; however, that would come at a cost of accuracy to the SVT.

Quirks and foibles
I find a few Origin pedals have the same thing: surprisingly low output. Unity is well above noon, which probably makes no difference really, but I do wonder why there's so much room for below-unity settings.

It's also absolutely massive, and for my board, I'd prefer more of a landscape layout (being very fussy here). Same with having the XLR out on the top, it means I have to have it on the top row of my board.

Does it really sound like a spongey, tubey, beautiful SVT?
No, because it's not. But as someone who has weekly bad dreams about having to sell his SVT years ago, this is really an exceptionally good option. It's warm, fat and captures almost all of that SVT-in-the-mix magic I crave.
I can tell writing is your day job!
Amazing review.

I also share those same bad dreams about the very same amp.