Lefty to Righty Conversion (lotsa pix)

Dodgy rythym and thick strings here...

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

RUDENBARK
Gibson
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Lefty to Righty Conversion (lotsa pix)

Post by RUDENBARK »

Thought I might as well share this just for the heck of it.

Needed a bass, and found a new cheapy one that I couldn't refuse (the price was gooood 8) ). Only issue being that it's a L/H'er. Not a major issue since only really need a bass for recording (getting ideas down etc - no matter how hard I try, sequencing a bassline just sounds plain crap).

Btw, hope I set it up right; set it up as I would for a *ahem* "normal" :wink: gat with regards truss rod, string height, intonation, etc etc blah blah. (Anything I should be aware of relating to bass set up?)

Now, pesky bit and the fix - them knobs, in just the wrong place, right where you want to rest your arm on the body.
Again, not really a major issue all things considered (cheap-as, only for recording, etc, and not really overly bothersome in fact). But had an idea, tried it and it worked a treat. Didn't really take much work, and was fairly quick to implement. In fact the most bothersome and time consuming part of the process was waiting for the paint to dry; used a cheap-arse spraypaint I got from Te Warewhare a while back, takes bloody FOREVER to dry, had to leave it overnight! Needless to say, when my stock runs out will NOT be using that brand again.

So anyway, here's the "before" shots:
Before.JPG
...inotherwords, standard L/H layout.
My idea was to flip them around and have the knobs tucked into the back recess - still usable but not in the way.
Made some cardboard templates to get a rough idea, keeping in mind of course to leave enough room for the caps and wiring, also to keep the socket cover (protection and aesthetics). Transfered the template onto some aluminium, and (after the paint job) this is what I ended up with:
Bracket.JPG
(Sorry about the bad pic quality)
Didn't to too bad I thought since the only tools I used (had, lol) were a pair of tin-snips, a file, and a drill.
And yes, that is a double hole you can see - my one boo-boo, lol.

With everything screwed on and put in place, this is the pretty-much finished product:
After.JPG
From a functional POV it works primo. The knobs can still be easily accessed/used, but they're well out of the way; almost flush with the back surface and don't readjust themselves while playing. Too, it's completely (and easily) reversable should I decide to sell on.
Could do with a little touch-up paint around the edges, but not going to bother about that.

Haven't decided yet what to use to cover up the holes on the front. In lieu just put a blob of bluetac in each hole and stuck a drawing pin in, lol. Then again was thinking of maybe using studs or something to cover them; the drawing pins look fairly stud-ish, and quite tidy regardless, so yeah might just leave it as is.
You have the right to remain silent... But I wanna hear you scream!

RUDENBARK
Gibson

Re: Lefty to Righty Conversion (lotsa pix)

Post by RUDENBARK »

Sheesh!
What is it with the picture auto-resizer on here!?!?!
Lmao.

Well, if any of ya's are fussed about it, drop a PM and I can send you some larger-size pix.
You have the right to remain silent... But I wanna hear you scream!