Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

TmcB
I may have a problem
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 653 times
Been liked: 556 times

Re: Anyone like bass guitars?

Post by TmcB »

Took the GZR PJ set out of my Lakland today, and replaced it with a Fralin P and a Lakland single coil I had from my DJ4. I’ve got a Dimarzio Ultra Jazz Bridge on the way to swap out the single for a split coil for no noise. Also, blends or Vol/Vol setups are impossible for me to hear the difference on so I wired up a rotary switch to to P/PJ/J without changing the appearance of 3 knobs.

I’d wanted a Fralin P forever but Nordstrand always seemed slightly more accessible or within my price range.

Fralin was so much better than the GZR and a really rich, beautiful P sound. Bit of grind up top, punchy enveloping lows, sweet midrange, just beautiful. Lakland single was surprisingly no slouch either.

GZR’s sound great with gain/drive but they have a grind high midrange, shy bottom end, and reasonable treble. A great pickup but not what I’m after at the moment and the J is pretty anaemic.

Stoked with this afternoon’s tinkering, and look forward to receiving the Dimarzio to finish it off
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

hercules
Squier
Has liked: 76 times
Been liked: 247 times

Post by hercules »

Nice, TmcB. I'm pretty keen to put a Fralin P'J set in my ESP. Better start saving I guess...

Kev77
Mr Echo
Has liked: 357 times
Been liked: 283 times

Post by Kev77 »

TmcB wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:34 pm Took the GZR PJ set out of my Lakland today, and replaced it with a Fralin P and a Lakland single coil I had from my DJ4. I’ve got a Dimarzio Ultra Jazz Bridge on the way to swap out the single for a split coil for no noise. Also, blends or Vol/Vol setups are impossible for me to hear the difference on so I wired up a rotary switch to to P/PJ/J without changing the appearance of 3 knobs.

I’d wanted a Fralin P forever but Nordstrand always seemed slightly more accessible or within my price range.

Fralin was so much better than the GZR and a really rich, beautiful P sound. Bit of grind up top, punchy enveloping lows, sweet midrange, just beautiful. Lakland single was surprisingly no slouch either.

GZR’s sound great with gain/drive but they have a grind high midrange, shy bottom end, and reasonable treble. A great pickup but not what I’m after at the moment and the J is pretty anaemic.

Stoked with this afternoon’s tinkering, and look forward to receiving the Dimarzio to finish it off
Pics please
"Cash on the ballot, money to burn, Dealey Plaza, make a left-hand turn" Bob Dylan is a genius

jhyang549
Tokai
Tokai
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 201 times

Post by jhyang549 »

foal30 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:31 pm
jhyang549 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:56 pm
foal30 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:45 pm Nice one

Let me know how you like the strings, I got some SS Rounds and Flats from Gheraldo but yet to fit them 😂😂
:rofl: I'll buy them from you in 2 years
Hopefully next week, highly likely given weather forecast
Have you put them on yet? I received them today and put them on. I very much like them. Love the feel and the tone compared to the stock D'addrario roundwounds I've had on before. Thanks for telling us about Gheraldo.

Surprised how well my new Cort A4 Plus is setup out of the box. Did neck relief and action measurements and it's almost perfect for me.

crowbgood1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 341 times
Been liked: 240 times

Post by crowbgood1 »

Kev77 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:11 pm
TmcB wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:34 pm Took the GZR PJ set out of my Lakland today, and replaced it with a Fralin P and a Lakland single coil I had from my DJ4. I’ve got a Dimarzio Ultra Jazz Bridge on the way to swap out the single for a split coil for no noise. Also, blends or Vol/Vol setups are impossible for me to hear the difference on so I wired up a rotary switch to to P/PJ/J without changing the appearance of 3 knobs.

Pics please
Plectrum?
A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree.

crowbgood1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 341 times
Been liked: 240 times

Post by crowbgood1 »

I am six months into my bass journey now - very little guitar playing and about 1 or 2 hours on bass a day. Sheesh, what a pleasure of an instrument to play. I am getting the hang of singing and playing at the same time and have a three piece on the boil. It feels like I have a new lease on life!
A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree.

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 608 times
Been liked: 946 times

Post by foal30 »

crowbgood1 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:57 pm I am six months into my bass journey now - very little guitar playing and about 1 or 2 hours on bass a day. Sheesh, what a pleasure of an instrument to play. I am getting the hang of singing and playing at the same time and have a three piece on the boil. It feels like I have a new lease on life!
Singing Bass Player in a trio is FHUN
Genuine Old Frontier Gibberish

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by foal30 »

jhyang549 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:20 pm
foal30 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:31 pm
jhyang549 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:56 pm

:rofl: I'll buy them from you in 2 years
Hopefully next week, highly likely given weather forecast
Have you put them on yet? I received them today and put them on. I very much like them. Love the feel and the tone compared to the stock D'addrario roundwounds I've had on before. Thanks for telling us about Gheraldo.

Surprised how well my new Cort A4 Plus is setup out of the box. Did neck relief and action measurements and it's almost perfect for me.
Pleased you like them

No movement here 😂😂😂 it takes ages for me to buy something let alone then actually apply said purchase

jhyang549
Tokai
Tokai

Post by jhyang549 »

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

My Strat looks like it’s shrunk in the wash!
Attachments
4EA98664-732F-4D32-8C7E-B1D000D90942.jpeg
4EA98664-732F-4D32-8C7E-B1D000D90942.jpeg (3.72 MiB) Viewed 1462 times
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 653 times
Been liked: 556 times

Post by TmcB »

That’s a cheeky wee fiver!
Where did you get that?
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

TmcB wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:54 pm That’s a cheeky wee fiver!
Where did you get that?
Dirty old Artist guitars! Shes a heavy beast, needs a bit of setup work, but for $350 delivered shes a bargain!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by foal30 »

Weathers crapped out again in Otautahi

So a recording session tomorrow on the Fretless Stingray.

If there’s time I’ll try and record my Quiz Night Bass Motif’s thang.

We can have an NZG quiz

jhyang549
Tokai
Tokai

Post by jhyang549 »

That 5string Music Man HH Stingray is still listed on TradeMe for $2k right now. Great deal.

Savoska
Stagg
Stagg
Been liked: 7 times

Post by Savoska »

My Warmoth ’72 p-bass. Love it. :thumbup: :thumbup:
PJ-72.jpg
PJ-72.jpg (321.77 KiB) Viewed 1038 times