Has liked: 7688 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Re: Anyone like bass guitars?

Post by jeremyb »

:lol:
Attachments
53AD6558-58E0-4371-9062-866915CFA9D4.jpeg
53AD6558-58E0-4371-9062-866915CFA9D4.jpeg (111.5 KiB) Viewed 4043 times
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 653 times
Been liked: 556 times

Post by TmcB »

jeremyb wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:45 am:lol:
You’d own a bass?

You’d own a Yamaha because you’d owned every other brand ever?

You’d put your strings in properly?

You’d change your bass strings?

You change your bass strings from thinnest to fattest like an absolute lunatic?
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7688 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Everyone knows you don’t change bass strings cause they’re so expensive!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 386 times

Post by Kris »

the straight end on that clearly shows they are fresh rather than boiled

Kev77
Mr Echo
Has liked: 357 times
Been liked: 283 times

Post by Kev77 »

I put a set of thomastik flats on my pbass over ten years again. Still sounds a lil fresh
"Cash on the ballot, money to burn, Dealey Plaza, make a left-hand turn" Bob Dylan is a genius

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

strings for life!
Best thing about rounds and half rounds, is over time, so much skin, snot,shit and crud get stuck in them - they feel like flats!

First thing I do is change strings on a new/2nd hand bass. I don't want others shit on my hands.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

H671
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 264 times

Post by H671 »

Kev77 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:10 pm I put a set of thomastik flats on my pbass over ten years again. Still sounds a lil fresh
My Hagstrom has the original rounds still on after about 10 years also.
Epiphone Riviera P93 & EJ200CE, Hagstrom Viking Bass, Doubleneck bass/guitar.
Rivera Clubster 45, Carvin AG100D, Ashton BSK158.

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 596 times

Post by Starfire »

jeremyb wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:13 am Everyone knows you don’t change bass strings cause nobody cares how the bass sounds anyway!

:mental:

Hamsta
Stagg
Stagg
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by Hamsta »

Kia ora koutou

Long time lurker who figures he should probably be a bit more contributory.
Primarily a bass player, with a bit of guitar on the side.
I likes me my Warwicks & have hopefully managed to attach a photo of the whānau:
08C16082-E4BB-4FA0-B7BF-5BA51A62BB8A.jpeg
08C16082-E4BB-4FA0-B7BF-5BA51A62BB8A.jpeg (3.19 MiB) Viewed 3193 times
First was the ‘93 Fortress One (all passive version) & it’s still my main axe. Can do pretty much anything I need it to.

Next came the ‘90 Thumb 5 NT with Barts on a screaming deal - a bass far superior to my abilities & not nearly as versatile as the Fortress TBH, but it’s whānau & you don’t sell whānau (& a B-string can be rather handy at times)

Finally picked up the 2010 Corvette Bubinga Fretless this year - have been after a fretless for a while & managed to resist various Rockbass offerings. TBH became quite cynical about post-2000 Warwick’s as most really didn’t stack up to my original 2 (have zero love for the $$’s I’m afraid). This is a MIK Pro-Series & TBH it’s ever inch as good as the others. It’s only real issue is my intonation… Strung with flats of unknown age & I have zero intention of changing them currently - probably just broken in.

As you may guess from the photo I’m also a bit of an old SWR fan - sound amazing but OMG they’re not light & I ain’t getting any stronger. Got an Aguilar ToneHammer 350 a couple of years back & am finally enjoying using that through the Goliath Jr 2x10 - not the most intuitive of heads & took me a fair while to figure out how to dial in the sound I wanted (or maybe I’m just getting old…). The GoliJr is a ridiculously efficient little cabinet that creates a lot of headroom for whatever amp you use. I’d love a lighter box that sounds as good, but haven’t found anything that holds a candle to it yet. At some point I’ll probably need to bid the Bass 350 (sitting in the SKB) & the 4x10 farewell - they’re awesome but just impractical.

Also have a Tanglewood Acoustic Bass - huge thing with great acoustic tone. The electronics can be a bit temperamental at times.

Do have some guitars, but y’all wouldn’t be interested in that here, right?
Ngā mihi,
Hamsta
[Serial Warwick Junkie]

“You can’t talk about the drums without talking about the bass.”

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

Hamsta wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:41 pm Kia ora koutou

Long time lurker who figures he should probably be a bit more contributory.
Primarily a bass player, with a bit of guitar on the side.
I likes me my Warwicks & have hopefully managed to attach a photo of the whānau:

08C16082-E4BB-4FA0-B7BF-5BA51A62BB8A.jpeg

First was the ‘93 Fortress One (all passive version) & it’s still my main axe. Can do pretty much anything I need it to.

Next came the ‘90 Thumb 5 NT with Barts on a screaming deal - a bass far superior to my abilities & not nearly as versatile as the Fortress TBH, but it’s whānau & you don’t sell whānau (& a B-string can be rather handy at times)

Finally picked up the 2010 Corvette Bubinga Fretless this year - have been after a fretless for a while & managed to resist various Rockbass offerings. TBH became quite cynical about post-2000 Warwick’s as most really didn’t stack up to my original 2 (have zero love for the $$’s I’m afraid). This is a MIK Pro-Series & TBH it’s ever inch as good as the others. It’s only real issue is my intonation… Strung with flats of unknown age & I have zero intention of changing them currently - probably just broken in.

As you may guess from the photo I’m also a bit of an old SWR fan - sound amazing but OMG they’re not light & I ain’t getting any stronger. Got an Aguilar ToneHammer 350 a couple of years back & am finally enjoying using that through the Goliath Jr 2x10 - not the most intuitive of heads & took me a fair while to figure out how to dial in the sound I wanted (or maybe I’m just getting old…). The GoliJr is a ridiculously efficient little cabinet that creates a lot of headroom for whatever amp you use. I’d love a lighter box that sounds as good, but haven’t found anything that holds a candle to it yet. At some point I’ll probably need to bid the Bass 350 (sitting in the SKB) & the 4x10 farewell - they’re awesome but just impractical.

Also have a Tanglewood Acoustic Bass - huge thing with great acoustic tone. The electronics can be a bit temperamental at times.

Do have some guitars, but y’all wouldn’t be interested in that here, right?
Looking good. I'm a big Warwick fan. I've had a Streamer LX4 since I was 16, and it's been incredibly reliable. It's beat to hell after over a hundred gigs it living in the boot of cars for much of its life. Takes it like a champ though.

I really dig that Thumb. I think they are super underrated instruments. I'd happily have just a Thumb and P-bass, that would cover pretty much all the bases!

(I'll see myself out)
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3465 times
Been liked: 711 times

Post by Cdog »

Love it! Warwicks are awesome... A big Stuart Zender fan from the 90's here. My first 5 was a '99 Streamer Standard from the RS. Gorgeous satin red, light as a feather. Neck was Zebrawood, looked the biz. Got pinched unfortunately 😥

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 608 times
Been liked: 946 times

Post by foal30 »

Kev77 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:10 pm I put a set of thomastik flats on my pbass over ten years again. Still sounds a lil fresh
2004 last changed the Chromes on my 76 Precision

2007 for the fretless 89 Jazz

I can't remember when I got my Tobias but put halfwounds on the day i got it and their still on.

Last restring I had to ask Mrs Foal to help😂😂😂 it was killing my hands
Genuine Old Frontier Gibberish

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 653 times
Been liked: 556 times

Post by TmcB »

foal30 wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:05 pm

I can't remember when I got my Tobias but put halfwounds on the day i got it and their still on.

I’ve been meaning to ask you - what’s in the stable at the moment?
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by foal30 »

TmcB wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:12 pm
foal30 wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:05 pm

I’ve been meaning to ask you - what’s in the stable at the moment?
Fender Jazz fretted 71 and fretless 89
Fender Precision 76 - lovely bass
Tobias Growler
L2 Steinberger - doesn't get played enough
MTD Grendel 5 - amazing instrument for sfa Czech
EBMM Stingray fretless- Chromes on way smooth

I can't sell anything, I really am hopeless. Trying to offload Comics presently, even that seemingly simple task is burdensome

I sed Neville has an Aguilar DI pedal for cheap. Do you still have yours?

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by foal30 »

I looked at Daniel's EBMM5

I'd have to sell some shit first or it'll be trouble in the whanau. I can't work until Level 2
Last edited by foal30 on Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.