Moderator: Capt. Black

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Re: Jam Along Backing Tracks!! - NEW TRACK UP (20/4/20)

Post by willow13 »

hamo wrote:Cool, so just one more question: how do you solo? :lol:

I learned a couple of positions for the C#m scale, but noodling around in these mostly sounded like shit over the backing track. Note selection seems to be a whole different ball game. :?

I had slightly better luck with the GnR one, but realised I can't shift easily enough between boxes yet to construct anything interesting. I might work with this one some more if I get the chance.

This has been great though, opened my eyes up to a bunch of what we've been talking about here lately, and just how many things I have to work on. Including how to use Reaper. And the Katana. And my left hand.
I think the best thing you can do is just copy/paste the rhythm track a few times so it is about 10min long and then just solo over the whole thing (recording it in reaper.) Then go back and listen to it and find the bits that sound ok and then try to figure those bits out then record those in a new track and keep doing that until you get something that is as long as you want it. Then paste them all together and then sit down and try and learn it in one take .... thats pretty much what I did for the fast one. Although there were a few parts that I heard in my head without playing them accidentally :rofl:
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

I learned a couple of positions for the C#m scale, but noodling around in these mostly sounded like shit over the backing track. Note selection seems to be a whole different ball game. :?

Here's how I composed the solo to the Andy Timmons track - I looped the backing over, and over, and over again, and kinda just PLAYED things over it. Some good, some okay, some utter bullshit. In this case, I had kind of a mindset that I wanted to follow, which was playing lines along a single string like Andy does, so I did lots of variations on that theme.

Eventually you might start to hear licks that you like over certain parts of the progression. Record these ideas down, whether it's via your phone or DAW.

Repeat this process until you find a bunch of licks or phrases that you like over various parts of the progression.

Now, review everything you've got, and try and string it into some form of structure, writing bits to connect the various licks and phrases together as you go.

Once you've got the layout of the whole solo, you can hone in on any parts that don't quite fit or could be better, and work on those.

I'm sure there are more advanced players than me who use less trial and error but I've found that this is the best way for me to construct a memorable solo. And I think it can be a useful exercise which will then give you learnings for future solos that you want to put together, and eventually it'll become easier and easier.

OR you can just whack pentatonic licks all over the track which I've certainly been guilty of over the years :rofl:
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 632 times
Been liked: 802 times

Post by hamo »

slash-ed wrote:

Here's how I composed the solo to the Andy Timmons track - I looped the backing over, and over, and over again, and kinda just PLAYED things over it. Some good, some okay, some utter bullshit. In this case, I had kind of a mindset that I wanted to follow, which was playing lines along a single string like Andy does, so I did lots of variations on that theme.

Eventually you might start to hear licks that you like over certain parts of the progression. Record these ideas down, whether it's via your phone or DAW.

Repeat this process until you find a bunch of licks or phrases that you like over various parts of the progression.

Now, review everything you've got, and try and string it into some form of structure, writing bits to connect the various licks and phrases together as you go.

Once you've got the layout of the whole solo, you can hone in on any parts that don't quite fit or could be better, and work on those.

I'm sure there are more advanced players than me who use less trial and error but I've found that this is the best way for me to construct a memorable solo. And I think it can be a useful exercise which will then give you learnings for future solos that you want to put together, and eventually it'll become easier and easier.

OR you can just whack pentatonic licks all over the track which I've certainly been guilty of over the years :rofl:
That's good advice man, ta, kind of backs up what willow said too. I'm pretty keen to bust out of the one position Am pentatonic box I've been living in for the last 15 year's or so, so I was trying to use the full scale. What threw me was how much of what I played just sounded like dissonant garbage. Like, I wasn't even sure I was playing the right thing, that's how bad it sounded. :?
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7688 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Linky to the wav file from the video, includes Ed's solo at the start, too lazy to crop it :lol:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1waAgt ... sAljOVr_VA
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

jeremyb wrote:Linky to the wav file from the video, includes Ed's solo at the start, too lazy to crop it :lol:

Can't hear your solo???

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Molly wrote:
jeremyb wrote:Linky to the wav file from the video, includes Ed's solo at the start, too lazy to crop it :lol:

Can't hear your solo???
It's for others to solo over :)

I'm going to do one this weekend :mrgreen:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

jeremyb wrote:
Molly wrote:

Can't hear your solo???
It's for others to solo over :)

I'm going to do one this weekend :mrgreen:
Oh... Duh. Sorry.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore

Post by slash-ed »

Bumping this one up in anticipation of some exciting news coming soon...

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

slash-ed wrote:Bumping this one up in anticipation of some exciting news coming soon...
I'll start practicing my scales. :-)

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Another weekend down and I haven't recorded one.... got a few ideas down, but essentially a fail :(

chur
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 210 times

Post by chur »

Darn, I was going to use the last one to learn how to sync audio and video in Reaper.. alas works been so busy I can't be bothered with staring at the PC screen in the weekends as my eyes hurt. Maybe this weekend..
No one ever died of hard work.. but why take the risk..

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore

Post by slash-ed »

Here's a really good reason to write that solo, guys. Enter here! https://bit.ly/JamlikeaBOSS

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore

Re: Jam Along Backing Tracks!! - RnB/Soul Jam Added 19/6/20

Post by slash-ed »

Added a new backing track just now!

chur
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 210 times

Post by chur »

slash-ed wrote:Here's a really good reason to write that solo, guys. Enter here! https://bit.ly/JamlikeaBOSS

Did the winners get published in the end?
No one ever died of hard work.. but why take the risk..

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore

Post by slash-ed »

chur wrote:
slash-ed wrote:Here's a really good reason to write that solo, guys. Enter here! https://bit.ly/JamlikeaBOSS

Did the winners get published in the end?
Yeah of course! On the BOSS FB page.