Lets hear your sound clips...

Moderator: Capt. Black

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 632 times
Been liked: 802 times

Re: Jam Along Backing Tracks!! - NEW TRACK UP (20/4/20)

Post by hamo »

handsoffmatt wrote:
jeremyb wrote:You could play the youtube track on your phone into the aux in of the katana and use the katana direct to reaper, altho' not sure if the aux gets mixed in with the guitar via usb?!?? Matt? Ed?
I'm actually not sure....though i THINK that it does.

*edit* actually, maybe the Aux In DOESN'T go out the USB....

However, you could still take the same appraoch (backing track in the KTN Aux IN) but output analog audio (Katana and Aux IN mixed) out of the Katana PHONES/REC jack into an audio interface.
What sort of cable does that need?
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by hamo »

slash-ed wrote:hamo, I don't think anyone will begrudge you just playing along with the backing track up loud on your computer with your guitar amp going as well!
They might begrudge my playing tho :lol:

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

hamo wrote:
slash-ed wrote:hamo, I don't think anyone will begrudge you just playing along with the backing track up loud on your computer with your guitar amp going as well!
They might begrudge my playing tho :lol:
That's what I did and it sounds like I used Abbey Road. Ish.

KNNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1777 times
Been liked: 667 times

Post by KNNZ »

Lyle wrote:
willow13 wrote:
I ran my Kat into my interface and then used my phone to record the video and Reaper to record the audio..then used imovie to sync up audio and video.

I started the audio track 20 secs before "my" solo bit came in and hit harmonics on all strings with an exaggerated hand movement so I could visual "hear" exactly where to sync um up
I do pretty much the same thing. Guitar into Helix into Reaper, record video with phone, smack the strings when I start recording to make a spike in the audio to help when it comes time to sync things up.

Sometimes I'll forget to smack the strings which makes matching the audio and video a bit trickier.
when you guys record video with phone, does that mean including audio as well? coz video automatically records audio as well? tryna learn how to do it separately and sync it with reaper. Or when you record video in your phone, is there a way to not record the sound? cheers

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

KNNZ wrote:
Lyle wrote:
willow13 wrote:
I ran my Kat into my interface and then used my phone to record the video and Reaper to record the audio..then used imovie to sync up audio and video.

I started the audio track 20 secs before "my" solo bit came in and hit harmonics on all strings with an exaggerated hand movement so I could visual "hear" exactly where to sync um up
I do pretty much the same thing. Guitar into Helix into Reaper, record video with phone, smack the strings when I start recording to make a spike in the audio to help when it comes time to sync things up.

Sometimes I'll forget to smack the strings which makes matching the audio and video a bit trickier.
when you guys record video with phone, does that mean including audio as well? coz video automatically records audio as well? tryna learn how to do it separately and sync it with reaper. Or when you record video in your phone, is there a way to not record the sound? cheers
When you add the video into Reaper as a track you can mute the audio. When the mix is rendered it will only have the audio from your guitar track. Also, you'd be amazed how easy it is to sync the video and guitar track just from the waveform in both tracks. YMMV, I'm a total amateur/hack at all this.

Lyle
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 255 times

Post by Lyle »

KNNZ wrote:
Include audio with the video, but I turn the volume of that track down when I import it Reaper so you can't hear it when I export the finished recording. Having the audio with the video helps to get things synced up - When I start recording I slap the strings which makes a spike in the audio track waveform in Reaper, and the same spike will be in the audio track for the video, once I import the video into Reaper I move its so the spike in both waveforms line up and then everything will be in sync.

kwhelan
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 123 times
Been liked: 93 times

Post by kwhelan »

Lyle
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 255 times

Post by Lyle »

This guys video shows pretty much the same process I use to sync up the video recorded on my phone with the audio in reaper.

handsoffmatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 244 times

Post by handsoffmatt »

hamo wrote:
handsoffmatt wrote:
jeremyb wrote:You could play the youtube track on your phone into the aux in of the katana and use the katana direct to reaper, altho' not sure if the aux gets mixed in with the guitar via usb?!?? Matt? Ed?
I'm actually not sure....though i THINK that it does.

*edit* actually, maybe the Aux In DOESN'T go out the USB....

However, you could still take the same approach (backing track in the KTN Aux IN) but output analog audio (Katana and Aux IN mixed) out of the Katana PHONES/REC jack into an audio interface.
What sort of cable does that need?
Depends what the output of your track player has and what inputs your audio interface has...

Audio Source (laptop/ipod/whatever) goes to 3.5mm stereo TRS jack on rear of Katana
Katana 6.5mm stereo TRS PHONES/REC jack goes to whatever inputs your audio interface has.
"Volume is tone" - EVH

Electrics: ESP/Fender/Gibson/.strandberg*/Godin/Washburn/Music Man/Knaggs/Squier/Vintage
Acoustic: Cole Clark/Godin/Takamine/Taylor
Amps: BOSS Katana Head / Friedman Smallbox

handsoffmatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 244 times

Post by handsoffmatt »

Or you just get a GOMIXER and record everything direct into your phone as you are shooting (no syncing required)

https://www.rockshop.co.nz/shop/roland- ... hones.html
"Volume is tone" - EVH

Electrics: ESP/Fender/Gibson/.strandberg*/Godin/Washburn/Music Man/Knaggs/Squier/Vintage
Acoustic: Cole Clark/Godin/Takamine/Taylor
Amps: BOSS Katana Head / Friedman Smallbox

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

Bg wrote:Hey Ed, you know the relative major of this is E, yeah?

/disengage smug mode
It's all relative, mate!
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

slash-ed wrote:
Bg wrote:Hey Ed, you know the relative major of this is E, yeah?

/disengage smug mode
It's all relative, mate!
to the size of your steeple :?:
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by hamo »

Cool, so just one more question: how do you solo? :lol:

I learned a couple of positions for the C#m scale, but noodling around in these mostly sounded like shit over the backing track. Note selection seems to be a whole different ball game. :?

I had slightly better luck with the GnR one, but realised I can't shift easily enough between boxes yet to construct anything interesting. I might work with this one some more if I get the chance.

This has been great though, opened my eyes up to a bunch of what we've been talking about here lately, and just how many things I have to work on. Including how to use Reaper. And the Katana. And my left hand.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

hamo wrote:Cool, so just one more question: how do you solo? :lol:

I learned a couple of positions for the C#m scale, but noodling around in these mostly sounded like shit over the being track. Note selection seems to be a whole different ball game. :?

I had slightly better luck with the GnR one, but realised I can't shift easily enough between boxes yet to construct anything interesting. I might work with this one some more if I get the chance.

This has been great though, opened my eyes up to a bunch of what we've been talking about here lately, and just how many things I have to work on. Including how to use Reaper. And the Katana. And my left hand.
My Strat was down a semitone so I played in Dm. First box in 10th position. Just do a fuckload of widdle there. :thumbup:

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

Molly wrote:
hamo wrote:Cool, so just one more question: how do you solo? :lol:

I learned a couple of positions for the C#m scale, but noodling around in these mostly sounded like shit over the being track. Note selection seems to be a whole different ball game. :?

My Strat was down a semitone so I played in Dm. First box in 10th position. Just do a fuckload of widdle there. :thumbup:
sound advice :thumbup: ... well short term anyway :rofl:
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be