Darth Sabbathi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 195 times
Been liked: 374 times

Unnecessary fuzzness

Post by Darth Sabbathi »

I am having a rare old time recording stuff in my bedroom at the moment. Quite happy with this number:

Features all the fuzz! Well, both a big muff and a tone bender. More on the muff side of things so pretty scoopy - doubt I'd be able to use that tone in any kind of live setting.

Anyway, such fun. I'm just using Garage Band at the moment, but might switch back to Reaper. I'd be really keen to actually use my amp rather than the simulators - which I could do by micing up my cab, but that'd only be an occasional option as I'd need to be down at the band room. As a bedroom alternative, I've been looking at this thing:

http://www.rockshop.co.nz/shop/mesa-boo ... lator.html

Does anyone have any experience with these?
Last edited by Darth Sabbathi on Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sirvill
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 241 times

Re: Unnecessary fuzzness

Post by sirvill »

I've got a cab clone built into my Mesa head, I can bring the head next time I see ya and you can have a bash.

You'll find it a bit boxy though I imagine - the buzz out there about them is pretty negative :(

That track is fucking awesome by the way

Darth Sabbathi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 195 times
Been liked: 374 times

Post by Darth Sabbathi »

sirvill wrote: You'll find it a bit boxy though I imagine - the buzz out there about them is pretty negative :(
Hmmm. Are there other (better) options that do the same thing?

sirvill
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 241 times

Post by sirvill »

Well the Two Notes Torpedo stuff is awesome, pro grade with proper cabinet impulses and stuff, but it ain't cheap!

I've never used one though - Ed has one and someone was selling one on here recently actually.

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 376 times

Post by Dharmajester »

“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Dharmajester wrote:http://www.suhr.com/amplifiers-for-elec ... tive-Load/

I'd like one of these myself.
In his video at that link what does Pete Thorn mean by: "... impulse responses for really high speaker simulation..."?

Eruera
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Eruera »

Molly wrote:
Dharmajester wrote:http://www.suhr.com/amplifiers-for-elec ... tive-Load/

I'd like one of these myself.
In his video at that link what does Pete Thorn mean by: "... impulse responses for really high speaker simulation..."?
High quality? Impulse responses are basically a high-resolution capture of the frequency response of a cabinet. They're about as good as it gets in terms of speaker sims, but still have some significant tradeoffs.

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 376 times

Post by Dharmajester »

Molly wrote:
He's referring to the fact that you will need to use cabinet simulation software with it. The software functions by using impulse responses ( much like many software reverbs etc ) to simulate a cabinet.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3465 times
Been liked: 711 times

Post by Cdog »

I'm getting this IR convolution player for live and recording uses, it's in the post now :)

I'm going to build a load 'box' for it... so I can use it kinda like a poor man's torpedo cab. You can can up-to 100 cab presets loaded into it at a time