sty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 207 times
Been liked: 264 times

Ultimate Guitar now restricting access to some tabs

Post by sty »

I've been using Ultimate-Guitar.com for many years for grabbing tabs when I fancy seeing how some people try to play the songs I'm interested in having a look at...

I was always intrigued by how they were simply ripping the tabs that were freely posted in the old days to usenet, and then even more suprised when they started selling an iPhone (I guess android as well) app to access their own tabs.

Anyway noticed this afternoon when I went to browse some tab for Clapton's version of Cocaine that they are now blocking some tabs in NZ, and I'm guessing other countries because I couldn't get at the tab at all for this song (any version by Clapton) (*1).

So heads up if you use this site.

Also general query, what decent tab(*2) sites are people using these days?

Luckily this isn't a massive problem for me as I know I have a magazine with a decent tab and backing track for this specific song, it's just i was sat on the sofa with my guitar and iPad and thought I'd have a gander as all I could remember was the intro riff.

(Obviously taken as read that Decent Tab is an oxymoron).

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 837 times
Been liked: 358 times

Re: Ultimate Guitar now restricting access to some tabs

Post by jimi »

Apparently blocked at request of the rights owner, so I assume thats not just their way of getting more people to pay for Tab subscriptions via thier iPad app otherwise there'd be a link for where to pay to view it right?

Boo to that, has been my go-to site for tab for years.

Lespaul92
Stagg
Stagg
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Lespaul92 »

check out www.guitarforge.com, it has pdf sheet music / tabs which are free to down load

sam_the_bogan
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by sam_the_bogan »

jimi wrote:Apparently blocked at request of the rights owner, so I assume thats not just their way of getting more people to pay for Tab subscriptions via thier iPad app otherwise there'd be a link for where to pay to view it right?

Boo to that, has been my go-to site for tab for years.
Hmm that's a bit of a pain in the arse, I use it when I'm too lazy to work something out.

spasm6
Ashton
Ashton

Post by spasm6 »

If you buy *cough cough* a copy of Guitar Pro 6 and download a tab pack with 40000+ songs (only around 2gb) you'll never need Ultimate-Guitar again.
And of course you can actually listen to the songs and slow your parts down.

I haven't even seen tab in my last 2 years at jazz school and I've just joined a new metal band, it's a sight for sore-eyes I tell you :D
AXES | Ibanez AS-103BM
FX | Sonic Research Turbo Tuner > AMT Japanese Girl Wah > Jetter Jetdrive > CMAT Mods Analog Chorus > Way Huge Supa-puss Analog Delay
AMP | Blackstar HT-20

sam_the_bogan
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by sam_the_bogan »

spasm6 wrote:If you buy *cough cough* a copy of Guitar Pro 6 and download a tab pack with 40000+ songs (only around 2gb) you'll never need Ultimate-Guitar again.
And of course you can actually listen to the songs and slow your parts down.

I haven't even seen tab in my last 2 years at jazz school and I've just joined a new metal band, it's a sight for sore-eyes I tell you :D
Yeah guitar pro is a good call or it's slightly dorky cousin - Powertab (which I've found to be quite handy).

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by jimi »

spasm6 wrote:If you buy *cough cough* a copy of Guitar Pro 6 and download a tab pack with 40000+ songs (only around 2gb) you'll never need Ultimate-Guitar again.
I have bought GP6, no coughing required. Ofcourse any copyright you were infringing viewing tabs on Ultimate Guitar you have also infringed with your 40000 song tab pack.

Very cool software... the slow down and loop feature is very handy for getting complicated sections of songs right. Better than Rocksmith anyway.

spasm6
Ashton
Ashton

Post by spasm6 »

jimi wrote:
I have bought GP6, no coughing required. Ofcourse any copyright you were infringing viewing tabs on Ultimate Guitar you have also infringed with your 40000 song tab pack.

Very cool software... the slow down and loop feature is very handy for getting complicated sections of songs right. Better than Rocksmith anyway.
I got the impression the OP was more concerned with Ultimate-guitars blocking of songs rather than any copyright issues.
AXES | Ibanez AS-103BM
FX | Sonic Research Turbo Tuner > AMT Japanese Girl Wah > Jetter Jetdrive > CMAT Mods Analog Chorus > Way Huge Supa-puss Analog Delay
AMP | Blackstar HT-20

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by jimi »

spasm6 wrote: I got the impression the OP was more concerned with Ultimate-guitars blocking of songs rather than any copyright issues.
For sure, was more indicating that the reason tab is being blocked will eventually extend to making it hard to find GP6 files as well. Not a drama if you've managed to find a 40000 song package thats reasonably complete, and you only want to learn songs that were tabbed a few years ago.

Ironbird13
"Resident Cyborg" or something

Post by Ironbird13 »

just curious as to how copyright can effect tabs? :think: as most tabs arent exactly correct, and alot of bands dont release tab books so where is the copyright infringement?
Hurdy Gurdy.... some how... and I'm not entirely certain how mind you, an instrument that sounds like someone has shoved a nest of angry hornets into a goose with a kazoo bill and is randomly slapping the poor creature with an accordion.... Sounds amazing.

Doc Murray
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Doc Murray »

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

how weird I read this thread and then the very next thing I saw was an ad at the top of the trade me site for this "artist approved" site

http://www.guitarinstructor.com/
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

druz15
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by druz15 »

yeah haven't been able to get any Led Zep tabs whole time I've been in Aus
BG wrote:I don't care if you worship god or you worship goats cocks

Hades
Ashton
Ashton
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Hades »

Clapton tabs have been blocked for a while now (6-9 months). The only artist I have come across on Ultimate Guitar so far.
"Some gross human/hippo hybrid walked in,sat at a piano, and began wailing away with a passion that could only be described as EXTREME" - Kris

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

Hades wrote:Clapton tabs have been blocked for a while now (6-9 months). The only artist I have come across on Ultimate Guitar so far.
he's sucked since he started using strats anyway hasn't he :lol: :lol: :crazy: :crazy: :yawn: :think: :mrgreen:

:shh:

:angel:
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be