rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

AER AK-15+ Acoustic Pickup

Post by rickenbackerkid »

Installed a new pickup in my Lowden yesterday. I haven't played it much in 2-3 years, as I haven't had a pickup in it, and I hardly play guitar outside of gigs. Anyway, really nice to have it up and running, and I'll be playing it this year.

Pickup I put in is an AER AK-15, Mic + Piezo system and it's actually very good. It faithfully transmits some elements of the Lowden, you can hear the sort of warm bass that you get from a jumbo, and the treble is also somewhat restrained, which is appropriate for an old Cedar topped guitar.

Its downside is that the mic could do with more pre-EQ-ing. In the perfect world the mic would have bass rolling off at 250 or so, and a total bass cut at 80hz, but this mic seems to be pretty full range, and it wants to feed back around a low G. The pickup on the AER is buried deep with in the guitar, and I wonder if I can get the mic a bit more balanced by extending the wires and moving it towards the soundhole, like where the mics are on the Maton, Seymour Duncan and Fishman systems.

I've had a long list of pickups, always trying to get an acoustic sound I'm happy with, so fun to try something new, and it's pretty good. Will certainly work great in a band. A good system for sure, nearly as good as the Seymour Duncan Multisource which is my favourite out of the systems I have tried.