Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 186 times

Plastic nuts!

Post by Vince »

I have an El Cheapo Vox amp. For the record, it's a DA20. Hey, it's battery powered! Good for busking.

Like all cheap Vox amps, the input jack is held in place with a plastic nut. Which always comes off. The trick is to pre-empt this by putting a dollop of something under the nut and gluing it in place. Some suggest clear nail varnish for example.

But lazy sod that I am, I never got around to that and the plastic nut is long gone.

I've opened the amp and the jack is still in place and unlikely to sink into the amp but I'd still like to fix this, if only because nobody in their right mind will buy an amp where the input jack seems to be about to fall into the amp.

So my question is... where does one buy plastic nuts? I've never seen them at Mitre 10, Music Planet says they don't stock them (fair enough)

Any suggestions?

I'd use a metal one but I'm not sure the thread on the plastic input jack tube (I don't know the proper name) would like that.
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

Jake
Gibson
Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 107 times

Re: Plastic nuts!

Post by Jake »

Jaycar? You might have to buy a socket from them that comes with a plastic nut

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vince »

Jake wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:57 am Jaycar? You might have to buy a socket from them that comes with a plastic nut
Ye-ah... I'll have to have another look. Last time I was at their nuts island (Lower Hutt store) I didn't see any plastic ones, but then I wasn't looking for them.

Ta! :)
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

I also had to replace the plastic nut in my El Cheapo Vox amp (Pathfinder 15R). Ended up buying a replacement socket from Jaycar just to use the nut. I suspect your requirement would be identical to mine, but I can't recall the model. It might've been this? https://www.jaycar.co.nz/6-5mm-mono-cha ... t/p/PS0160

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

codedog wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:29 am I also had to replace the plastic nut in my El Cheapo Vox amp (Pathfinder 15R). Ended up buying a replacement socket from Jaycar just to use the nut. I suspect your requirement would be identical to mine, but I can't recall the model. It might've been this? https://www.jaycar.co.nz/6-5mm-mono-cha ... t/p/PS0160
Definitely this.

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vince »

codedog wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:29 am I also had to replace the plastic nut in my El Cheapo Vox amp (Pathfinder 15R). Ended up buying a replacement socket from Jaycar just to use the nut. I suspect your requirement would be identical to mine, but I can't recall the model. It might've been this? https://www.jaycar.co.nz/6-5mm-mono-cha ... t/p/PS0160
That nut looks metal but yeah, good idea. :) I'm sure they'll know, either way.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

You may also find the correct sized plastic nut on a cheap switch at Jaycar.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 737 times
Been liked: 511 times

Post by Zaulkin »

I have this. It fits a standard female 1/4 inch jack socket. I can send it to you if it will work?
IMG_20230130_125631.jpg
IMG_20230130_125631.jpg (1.79 MiB) Viewed 2708 times