Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1309 times
Been liked: 867 times

Farlane Pickups

Post by MikeC »

A recommendation for Farlane Pickups.
I've had a set of SD Antiquity Texas Hot pickups installed in my Stratocaster for the past 11 months (thanks Dany). I've been wanting to try a Fender CS '69 in the neck position (for a more glassy tone) but the magnet pole pieces are reversed as compared to my SD's so I put it on the back burner. Then I recently saw an ad on TradeMe for Farlane pickups - Andrew MacFarlane winds them to your requirements. So after an email discussion he wound me a "magnetically suitable" aged neck pickup with spec's matching the CS '69. It sounded great (better than the SD) so I had him wind me a RWRP middle and an A2 5%-overwound bridge to have a matching set. They all sound really great on my guitar - the in-between sounds (pos 2 & 4) are really hollow and the hum cancelling in these positions is great. They are well priced and the aging is subtle and natural looking. He can also provide alternative pole spacing's which can be particularly useful on the neck pickup in a Strat. He also does Tele pickups. So if you're looking for customised pickups I highly recommended Farlane and I've encouraged Andrew to become a member here.
Farlane Pickups Box.jpg
Farlane Pickups Box.jpg (1.79 MiB) Viewed 3799 times
Farlane Pickups Installed.jpg
Farlane Pickups Installed.jpg (1.79 MiB) Viewed 3799 times
Whakanuia o mea kei a koe

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Re: Farlane Pickups

Post by MikeC »

UPDATE - Andrew is now a member here - "Farlane" is his handle.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Great to have two good pickup winders available in our corner of the world!
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

Wow, the magnet aging and covers actually look the part, at least from a distance. And appreciate the recommendation, they sound awesome.

You have nice aged pickups and a mint green scratchplate. Time to get working on the relicing of that pristine body :-)

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MikeC »

olegmcnoleg wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:06 pm Wow, the magnet aging and covers actually look the part, at least from a distance. And appreciate the recommendation, they sound awesome.

You have nice aged pickups and a mint green scratchplate. Time to get working on the relicing of that pristine body :-)
Lol! That nitro finish is Grant's finest work - I'm gonna let it age naturally! P.S. The SD's were factory "aged" and I wanted the new Farlane neck pup to match (thinking I'd only be changing the neck). Nec minit...

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Post by StratMatt »

Great looking strat. What's the go with that trem arm there? Is it a custom set up?
Loving it so far

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MikeC »

It's called a "Staytrem" - a SS arm that locks into the block so there's no wobble. The arm's angle is adjustable/lockable. The resistance of rotation is adjustable too. Their website is (now) https://www.staytrem.com/ and they don't seem to do Strat trems any longer :?

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

so theres a lock nut that winds against the trem plate? Or is it sprung so you pull the knob (oh-err) up, move the arm and let go of the knob (etc) and it stays put...
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MikeC »

Bg wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:55 pm so theres a lock nut that winds against the trem plate? Or is it sprung so you pull the knob (oh-err) up, move the arm and let go of the knob (etc) and it stays put...
The short main shaft screws down tight into the block threads. The arm rotates on the main shaft with adjustment for rotational resistance via the off-white cap in the pic. A small spanner is supplied :)

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Cool, clear as mud :)

So the top bit screws into the small sub shaft via manual torsion of the white knob thingy through a banjo like hole at the end of the vibrato arm itself.

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MikeC »

Bg wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:15 pm Cool, clear as mud :)

So the top bit screws into the small sub shaft via manual torsion of the white knob thingy through a banjo like hole at the end of the vibrato arm itself.
Pretty close :clap: And it works very well!

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

MikeC wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:19 pm
Bg wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:15 pm Cool, clear as mud :)

Pretty close :clap: And it works very well!
Nice :)

dethken
Stagg
Stagg
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by dethken »

Another vouch for Andrew and his quality pickups. He's a nice guy, top bloke. He's recently wound me a set of hot Tele pickups with a P90 in the neck for a new build.
Attachments
20221208_103013.jpg
20221208_103013.jpg (933.18 KiB) Viewed 2424 times

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

This is great news. I'd much rather send money next door than across the ditches.

Welcome Farlane.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

MikeC wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:12 am ... I've encouraged Andrew to become a member here.
Don't do that. He'll never get any work done. ;-)