Bg
Site Admin
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

50's or modern wiring?

Post by Bg »

Rewiring my epi 339 tomorrow with decent pots etc

Not really thought about wiring styles before, I think I've only used 60's style in the past. Should I go 50's style - not sure I want to be doing the ship in a bottle thing again so would prefer to get it right first time ;)

Oh IIRC I've got a magnet flipped for out of phase - though I may have just done it wiring wise. So any thoughts on 50's wiring with out of phase would be good :)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

IMOCD
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 479 times
Been liked: 221 times

Re: 50's or modern wiring?

Post by IMOCD »

Bg wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:59 pm Rewiring my epi 339 tomorrow with decent pots etc

Not really thought about wiring styles before, I think I've only used 60's style in the past. Should I go 50's style - not sure I want to be doing the ship in a bottle thing again so would prefer to get it right first time ;)

Oh IIRC I've got a magnet flipped for out of phase - though I may have just done it wiring wise. So any thoughts on 50's wiring with out of phase would be good :)
Lol, I was going to ask you this yesterday when you posted about your new pots in the post.
50's wiring gets the vote every day of the week, for me. I like the increased useable range of the volume before it gets too woofy, how the V and T interact and the added clarity it gives, especially to neck HB's. Some folk find this interactivity is not for them tho e.g. with the volume low, you can actually get an increase in volume by boosting the tone pot. This does make the middle position very versatile (which is where the magic lies in 2 x HB guitars imo).

My single pick up LP has 50's wiring and I love it. My semi hollow has modern wiring. I'm looking to change it over as I just can't get the clarity I need with the neck HB. Mind you, the thought of dicking about with 'the ship in the bottle' thing :) is preventing me atm.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

Leave as is and add treble bleed?
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 596 times

Post by Starfire »

‘50s with independent volumes.

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

When i got your old Les Paul off Jim, you had different value tone resistors for the neck and bridge pickups. I really liked that. I've kept them together, and could dig them out if you wanted to know the values :-)
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 1064 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

The best and easiest thing that works for me is just a treble bleed made from a 120k/1nf parallel RC network on the volume pot lugs. It keeps the treble all the way down. I like it so much I removed the coil taps I used to have as winding down the volume does similar.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

AiRdAd wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:12 am When i got your old Les Paul off Jim, you had different value tone resistors for the neck and bridge pickups. I really liked that. I've kept them together, and could dig them out if you wanted to know the values :-)
Yeah they were great, it was an RS-guitarworks kit. Still have the wiring diagram somewhere, will wire the same if I can find it in my magic box of parts
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

It looks like the rs-guitarworks kit uses 50's wiring, so I'll follow their diagram :)

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1200 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

You could make it switchable between 50's / 60's ;-)
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

sizzlingbadger wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:46 am You could make it switchable between 50's / 60's ;-)
its bad enough trying to shoehorn everything in there as it is.

Glad to be rid of the stock pots though, they're weird on this - like the whole shaft can come out of the pot. Bridge tone fell out a few years back and I could never find it, never quite missed it though...

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

sizzlingbadger wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:46 am You could make it switchable between 50's / 60's ;-)
ObsidianWire has a hardness that does exactly that :wink:

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

codedog wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 12:56 pm
ObsidianWire has a hardness that does exactly that :wink:
Might have a job getting that through the F-Hole...

plenty of room for JB in his A-Hole though

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Wiring done, ship in a bottle done, setup tomorrow

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

Fuck I hate ship in a bottle wiring.

I’m forever grateful that my Gretsch has a ridiculous mute system, just because it means there’s an access plate on the back!

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

I always dread it, but in reality its easy enough just a bit of time needed, some fishing nylon and leave plenty of slack in the wiring.
Had to enlarge the holes of course. All done now, other than fret polish, stringing and setup :)