Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 207 times
Been liked: 264 times

ZW Epiphone updated with Mr Glyn pickups

Post by sty »

ZW-Integrities.jpg
ZW-Integrities.jpg (2.08 MiB) Viewed 4374 times
OK, so that's a bit weird and going to take some getting used to.

I grew out of the old active EMGs so I've opted to install a set of Mr Glyn Integrity pickups and an Obsidian Wire 50s/60s wiring harness. Had some teething troubles as Epiphones don't use the wider CTS pots but nothing was too hard and I'm happy with the job so far. Will need a bit of TLC to get the action and everything set up properly as I'm sure it was way off.

Gone for NYXL 9s strings this time (I use to put 10s on it) and no longer top wrapping as it seemed to have been cutting into the tail given it wasn't a proper one for top wrapping.

jhyang549
Tokai
Tokai
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 201 times

Re: ZW Epiphone updated with Mr Glyn pickups

Post by jhyang549 »

That's an amazing looking guitar, mate.

Did you have to enlarge the holes to make room for the CTS pots?

sty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sty »

jhyang549 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:49 pm That's an amazing looking guitar, mate.

Did you have to enlarge the holes to make room for the CTS pots?
Thanks,

yes I had to enlarge the holes slightly and very slightly move the centres of a couple (by 1 or 2 mm only). I found a really good youtube video that showed how to easily enlarge the holes (involved applying painters tape to the back of the CTS washer, taping it down to the top of the guitar firmly using more painters tape and then filing gently inside the washer until the desired hole was achieved. worked great and no finish damage).

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 446 times
Been liked: 384 times

Post by dayl »

Nice one! Great to see a ZW Bullseye.

How are those Integritys? They are on the top my want list for my strat build. Even better to support the locals. From what I heard so far they are great.

chur
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 210 times

Post by chur »

Awesome, loved the neck on the ZW Epi I had some years ago. Mine only had the passive HZ pickups, and they were horrible.

Got me gassing another now darn you.. anyone holding? :lol:
No one ever died of hard work.. but why take the risk..

sty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sty »

dayl wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:29 pm Nice one! Great to see a ZW Bullseye.

How are those Integritys? They are on the top my want list for my strat build. Even better to support the locals. From what I heard so far they are great.
Too early to know how they are at the moment. I'm a bit of a ludite really so will be an interesting journey to start to get a feel for them, They do seem to have a superb reputation though. They also look amazing in the gloss black finish! I originally wanted to get black screws but I actually like the look now.

sty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sty »

chur wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:39 pm Awesome, loved the neck on the ZW Epi I had some years ago. Mine only had the passive HZ pickups, and they were horrible.

Got me gassing another now darn you.. anyone holding? :lol:
mine originally had the passive Hz in as well, I installed the 18/85 set a while back and to be honest while I liked the feel of the whole guitar the sound never really blew me away. Lets see how that changes now. Quite funny to think that it will now be a pretty traditional sounding LP with "odd" looks

chur
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 210 times

Post by chur »

sty wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:02 pm
mine originally had the passive Hz in as well, I installed the 18/85 set a while back and to be honest while I liked the feel of the whole guitar the sound never really blew me away. Lets see how that changes now. Quite funny to think that it will now be a pretty traditional sounding LP with "odd" looks
Yer, I have put EMG-81TW and I think 89 (both coil split versions) in my LP Studio (previously had Burstbuckers iir). Unsure if they will stay, however the split on the neck pickup is quite good.
No one ever died of hard work.. but why take the risk..

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

sty wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:18 pm ZW-Integrities.jpg

I grew out of the old active EMGs so I've opted to install a set of Mr Glyn Integrity pickups and an Obsidian Wire 50s/60s wiring harness. Had some teething troubles as Epiphones don't use the wider CTS pots but nothing was too hard and I'm happy with the job so far. Will need a bit of TLC to get the action and everything set up properly as I'm sure it was way off.

Gone for NYXL 9s strings this time (I use to put 10s on it) and no longer top wrapping as it seemed to have been cutting into the tail given it wasn't a proper one for top wrapping.
I really want one of those; hung on my wall with holes drilled in to accept crossbow bolts.
Actually, a Chibson version is the one I actually want for this vision.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

dayl wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:29 pm Nice one! Great to see a ZW Bullseye.

To rain on your parade some more, I have the integrity in the bridge of my strat, its a very well defined humbucker that can do teh br00tz or low gain rock, Glyn knows his shit!!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 632 times
Been liked: 802 times

Post by hamo »

Slowy wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:53 pm

I really want one of those; hung on my wall with holes drilled in to accept crossbow bolts.
I really, really want this to happen for you one day too.
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

hamo wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:20 pm
Slowy wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:53 pm

I really, really want this to happen for you one day too.
Thank you. I'm continually open to the opportunity. My life experience says it's only a matter of time. :D
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 446 times
Been liked: 384 times

Post by dayl »

jeremyb wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:43 pm

To rain on your parade some more, I have the integrity in the bridge of my strat, its a very well defined humbucker that can do teh br00tz or low gain rock, Glyn knows his shit!!
hahaha I'll have to make you widh you had the neck too then :lol:

Sheriffdohboy
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 55 times

Post by Sheriffdohboy »

I had some integrity’s in a Gibson LPJ …..I did a rewire through Rockshop which was a bit budget as money was skint….not the best quality pots/caps etc but the Pickups still sang through…..wish I never sold it ….great products ghe Glyn pickups