Tokai
Tokai
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 201 times

Re: Talk me down!

Post by jhyang549 »

Slowy wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:57 pm
jhyang549 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:08 am Just strip the paint if it doesn't look or feel right to you. That should be the reason why you want to do this. Personal preference should always win over findings in science journals when it comes to guitars.
To be clear, I'm quite happy with the look of this guitar (a bit shiny but). And I'm happy with the guitar; it's the perfect vintage Strat for me. In fact, I wouldn't even be thinking about this if it wasn't such a good instrument (could it be even better? :think: ).

Because it's a brand name in excellent condition I don't feel the liberty to experiment in the way afforded by my partcasters. But If I can be convinced that something will make a good guitar even better, I'll do it.
Better to you. If you did this, it would aesthetically join your Arps very well. I personally think the tonal differences would be practically negligible. But it would have quite a impact on the looks and the feel of the instrument. Isn't that what causes people to love their guitar day-to-day? Because it looks cool and feels perfect?

I don't know. You only live once.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

Slowy wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:42 pm
olegmcnoleg wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:23 pm
jhyang549 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:08 am

I've read that white painted guitars can affect the resonance Vs non-white painted guitars because the amount of primer that is needed is greater, hence greater dampening

But Slowy, we are talking about differences that is practically negligible and only of scientific interest. There are so many other factors of how a guitar resonates besides paint it becomes impossible to isolate.

Just strip the paint if it doesn't look or feel right to you. That should be the reason why you want to do this. Personal preference should always win over findings in science journals when it comes to guitars.
Also grain filler, which is applied to most electric guitars. Can't imagine that being resonant.

But to think of it another way... What if the finish helps to lock the vibrations inside the guitar, rather than letting them escape... not much use for an electric guitar to radiate
An excerpt from the tome Jay posted. This theory is expanded in the text but in essence it says,

".......in the acoustic guitar, the sound energy needs to travel through the body i.e. through the wood, while in
the electric guitar, the part of the sound energy that is reflected from the string to the wood is captured.

Any conjecture that, in the electric guitar, the vibration energy needs to be also fed to the guitar body as much as possible, is wrong."[/i]

Ah, wormy cans everywhere! :D
Yep, that quote sums it up nicely. You don’t really want the body to be leaking all that nice sound energy… you want it all in the strings.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

olegmcnoleg wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:02 pm
olegmcnoleg wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:23 pm

Also grain filler, which is applied to most electric guitars. Can't imagine that being resonant.

But to think of it another way... What if the finish helps to lock the vibrations inside the guitar, rather than letting them escape... not much use for an electric guitar to radiate
An excerpt from the tome Jay posted. This theory is expanded in the text but in essence it says,

".......in the acoustic guitar, the sound energy needs to travel through the body i.e. through the wood, while in
the electric guitar, the part of the sound energy that is reflected from the string to the wood is captured.

Any conjecture that, in the electric guitar, the vibration energy needs to be also fed to the guitar body as much as possible, is wrong."[/i]

Yep, that quote sums it up nicely. You don’t really want the body to be leaking all that nice sound energy… you want it all in the strings.
Some people associate a resonating electric guitar neck/body with 'guitar goodness'
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

jhyang549 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:11 pm
Better to you. If you did this, it would aesthetically join your Arps very well. I personally think the tonal differences would be practically negligible. But it would have quite a impact on the looks and the feel of the instrument. Isn't that what causes people to love their guitar day-to-day? Because it looks cool and feels perfect?

I don't know. You only live once.
No, I'm sure I have lived several times. :P

Your logic is sound, but flawed, dear Sir. I care nothing for aesthetics. Don't get me wrong, I love a fine looking axe but it wouldn't figure in chosing to play it. (Though I confess honest wear is More Good)
These instruments are power tools to me. I want them to work to their potential but I'm not interested in changing the cosmetics without a significant tonal benefit.

The chances of which you rate as negligible so I'll put you in the 'No' column then. :D
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Jay wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:15 pm

Some people associate a resonating electric guitar neck/body with 'guitar goodness'
Yeah. I'm one of them. :problem:

Gentlemen, you realise this is getting seriously Geeky. Just checking everyone's good with that? :rofl:
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

no fuck off to tgp....
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 632 times
Been liked: 802 times

Post by hamo »

Just keep toys as is and buy a fancy guitar from Conway. Problem solved.
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

Slowy wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:25 pm
Jay wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:15 pm

Yeah. I'm one of them. :problem:

Gentlemen, you realise this is getting seriously Geeky. Just checking everyone's good with that? :rofl:
In the bad old days I would have been reemed off the forum for saying those things. Now it is safe to say that nitro was just used because the car manufacturers had plenty so why not use it on guitars.... and then it became sniffers :lol:
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

Gitar
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Gitar »

Saw an s500 sell for $900 couple weeks back (me too slow), yet people trying to get $600 back on $900 tributes...... go figure.

Im presuming this is not a working gat?

A used tribute (ie natural finish) done to your taste is not on the cards or wont scratch the itch? Im getting to the age of being risk adverse ;-p. If only you could xray the block underneath haha :-)

Easily my fav strat (have started to enjoy the MFDs of late though, disliked them at first), but the bluesboy will be my next G&L.

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 836 times
Been liked: 358 times

Post by jimi »

Slowy wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:26 am I blame Conway for this disturbance in the Force. He handed me his Novo. That thing is not just good, it's completely off the charts.
It is an outstanding guitar. That pricetag though. Almost wish I hadnt played it.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

jimi wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:50 pm
Slowy wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:26 am I blame Conway for this disturbance in the Force. He handed me his Novo. That thing is not just good, it's completely off the charts.
It is an outstanding guitar. That pricetag though. Almost wish I hadnt played it.
I told myself it's only a mid range mountain bike.
Didn't help much.

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 855 times
Been liked: 274 times

Post by calling card »

I heat gunned off the finish on the backside of my Vintage Junior. Looks normal from the front, I figured get some oxygen into the timber.
If you did that you'd see how many bits of wood it's made with.
I think Gary Moore did this with his guitars.
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 836 times
Been liked: 358 times

Post by jimi »

Slowy wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:26 am I told myself it's only a mid range mountain bike.
Didn't help much.
My current reference currency is vet bills. Its 2 corneal grafts, or half a gastrocnemius reconstruction. If I didn't have to pay for those in the past 12 months I'd be able to afford it, but still don't think I could justify it.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

That novo serus price isn't too bad, our current vet bill is up to approx 9k, so I'd have change left over.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.