MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1309 times
Been liked: 867 times

New Nut for my Martin

Post by MikeC »

Hey all, can anyone recommend someone in the Whangaparaoa/Orewa/North Auckland area to make me a new bone nut for my Martin? Cheers.
Whakanuia o mea kei a koe

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 1064 times

Re: New Nut for my Martin

Post by NippleWrestler »

Ramsay gets my business these days. He's in Glendowie and did my LP and my vintage strat.

Otherwise you can get a nubone but for $5.50 from Rockshop, they're just tusq offcuts remolded but the same material and it's really easy to change a nut out.

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MikeC »

NippleWrestler wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:48 am Ramsay gets my business these days. He's in Glendowie and did my LP and my vintage strat.

Otherwise you can get a nubone but for $5.50 from Rockshop, they're just tusq offcuts remolded but the same material and it's really easy to change a nut out.
Thanks, I've always used Peter Zetwitz to make/fit new bone nuts (which he does really well) but I can't be arsed driving down to Beach Haven twice! Hoping for someone local - I'm pretty sure there is but the name escapes me. I've never made a nut from scratch but have a fucked up quite a few that I've modified! I now even have a full set of nut files (which has ended the modification fuck ups I'm pleased to say)! Right tools for the job...

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 1064 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

Andries Vorster has the fret shop on the shore somewhere.

Tusq stuff is pre slotted to save you the job if you go that route, and you can fine-tune with some folded 600 grit if need be.

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MikeC »

Just spent a couple of hours with Andries Vorster of The Fret Shop when dropping off my guitar for a new nut... What an interesting and enthusiastic guy. His knowledge of acoustic instruments, woods & construction effects on tone was fantastic and so interesting. If you have an acoustic question he's well worth talking to.

FuzzMonkey
Gibson
Has liked: 510 times
Been liked: 407 times

Post by FuzzMonkey »

There must be a joke in the title of this thread somewhere. Where is JeremyB when you need him?
"There's no creativity without vulnerability."

www.fantailaudio.com