Total votes: 17

GrantB
ADMIN
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Re: To Do Or Not To Do

Post by GrantB »

Can Mr Glyn make one of these? P90 Tele size.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/253281677141

"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

I think I'm going down this route with my Tele. 500K pot for volume...or, three pots (replace switch) - 250K for neck, 500k for bridge, tone (or rotary tone dial).
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

werdna
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 590 times
Been liked: 458 times

Post by werdna »

I have a Rio Grande Dirty Harry if you'd like to borrow it and try it out for a couple of weeks.
In life, don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

Lostininverness
Gibson
Has liked: 499 times
Been liked: 136 times

Post by Lostininverness »

Build a new body for the pickups and set up you want, use the same neck. If it sucks, no harm done and flick it on to recoup some of the costs. Hardest part - getting some korina at a reasonable price (and if you find some, please let me know :D)

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

werdna wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:02 pm I have a Rio Grande Dirty Harry if you'd like to borrow it and try it out for a couple of weeks.
Thanks. The Special T is Lollar's venture into P90 territory which is why I put it there in the first place. Probably need to spend some more time with P90s.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

Don’t do it. Lovely looking guitar

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 488 times

Post by JHorner »

Slowy wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:07 pm I dreamed it, I sourced the materials, I built it, I tweaked it until it was happy.
I think you answered your own question right there.

How long have you had the Baja? Any chance the shine wears off and you go back to Korinacaster as #1 tele?

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

JHorner wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:01 pm
Slowy wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:07 pm I dreamed it, I sourced the materials, I built it, I tweaked it until it was happy.

How long have you had the Baja? Any chance the shine wears off and you go back to Korinacaster as #1 tele?
Fair question.
In recent years, there's been some refinement in my attitude towards guitars. My primary love is acoustics; they're what I play at home and they're what I play for simple pleasure.
Electrics allow me to play with others, something I enjoy immensely. I've been playing in bands for long enough to know what works for me. I see band guitars as power tools. As long as they have their own sonic space, own that space and are pleasant to play, I don't care what they are.

The Baja and the Korinacaster sound different. The k'caster is fatter and warmer. It's a great guitar for punk and rock and a friend of mine plays wonderful Jazz on it. But the Baja does that too with a bit more spike and jangle and a whole lot more tonal options. It's way better for a band with more than one guitar. I can't get away from needing a Strat for a couple of things but the Baja works for 95% of everything I can do.

Now the only thing I feel I'm missing is a really good Les Paul Junior... see where I'm going here? The Korinacaster was designed to show the spirit an LPJ and the idea of putting a P90 in it is really just taking the design brief to its logical conclusion.

This is what I'm telling myself in my lockdown spare time anyway. :rofl:
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Starfire wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:27 pm Alternatively, have you thought about something like this and one of the hotter TV Jones offerings?

It would then be completely reversible — at least visually.
Interesting. This and a Black Sand might be the perfect solution. :idea:

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 596 times

Post by Starfire »

Slowy wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:51 pm
Interesting. This and a Black Sand might be the perfect solution. :idea:
It's a Guitarfetish job, in case you hadn't worked that out.

https://www.guitarfetish.com/Filter-Tro ... 33485.html

It fits a 'no ears' Filtertron type pickup, rather than a humbucker or HB-sized P90, which are a bit wider than a Tele bridge, if I'm not mistaken (cf. Sizzlingbadger's humbucker Tele hatchet job from a number of years ago).

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 632 times
Been liked: 802 times

Post by hamo »

While "you're an idiot" was a tempting option, I never miss the opportunity to dunk on teles. :mrgreen: :wave:
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 488 times

Post by JHorner »

Slowy wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:46 pm
JHorner wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:01 pm

Fair question.
In recent years, there's been some refinement in my attitude towards guitars. My primary love is acoustics; they're what I play at home and they're what I play for simple pleasure.
Electrics allow me to play with others, something I enjoy immensely. I've been playing in bands for long enough to know what works for me. I see band guitars as power tools. As long as they have their own sonic space, own that space and are pleasant to play, I don't care what they are.

The Baja and the Korinacaster sound different. The k'caster is fatter and warmer. It's a great guitar for punk and rock and a friend of mine plays wonderful Jazz on it. But the Baja does that too with a bit more spike and jangle and a whole lot more tonal options. It's way better for a band with more than one guitar. I can't get away from needing a Strat for a couple of things but the Baja works for 95% of everything I can do.

Now the only thing I feel I'm missing is a really good Les Paul Junior... see where I'm going here? The Korinacaster was designed to show the spirit an LPJ and the idea of putting a P90 in it is really just taking the design brief to its logical conclusion.

This is what I'm telling myself in my lockdown spare time anyway. :rofl:
I only play in a trio so as long as I avoid the bass player and don't blow away the vocals then I'm sitting pretty.

I use amp tone controls for this.

However, based on what you have told me, you use guitars for this control, and you have 2 which perfectly complement each other to allow you to choose one or the other depending on what range the other guitar player is sitting in.

Again, seems like you answered your own question :P

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

OK old fella... How about this? Why don't you try a four position switch in the guitar, with the fourth position being both pickups running in parallel. The extra grunt that you get might be close enough to the p90 sound you're after.
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

AiRdAd wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:12 pm OK old fella... How about this? Why don't you try a four position switch in the guitar, with the fourth position being both pickups running in parallel. The extra grunt that you get might be close enough to the p90 sound you're after.
Danny! About time you showed up. :D Got the fiddly stuff in the Baja already. The trick may be to get a LPJ around and see just what the differences really are.

How you doing, my friend? I need to make a post lockdown trip to see Mummy so we should catch up.

And to answer your question, the 2/parallel setting on the Baja is by far its least engaging sound.