Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 391 times

Re: Offset chat

Post by k1w1 »

StrummersOfThunder wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:23 am Custom Harvester Goldthwait
Such a great guitar. Mahogany body and maple neck. 9.5" radius. Mastery everything. Dangerous hatchet headstock. Hand wound lace JM pickups (now has fralin p90s)

Wow that headstock really reminds of the sixties Kay guitars.

So my Squier Jazzmaster pickups sound fine to me, the Duncan Designed models. Am I likely to get much improvement upgrading them? And if so what would be a good replacement?

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 815 times
Been liked: 1304 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

k1w1 wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:44 pm
StrummersOfThunder wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:23 am Custom Harvester Goldthwait
Such a great guitar. Mahogany body and maple neck. 9.5" radius. Mastery everything. Dangerous hatchet headstock. Hand wound lace JM pickups (now has fralin p90s)

So my Squier Jazzmaster pickups sound fine to me, the Duncan Designed models. Am I likely to get much improvement upgrading them? And if so what would be a good replacement?
Intersting question.
If you're happy with the sound then why do chang'n!

Are you playing live? I found the main benefit out of changing was to get a better live sound. I can dial in sweet sounds at home with all my vintage legit types of pickups but when pushed hard in stage with some of the heavier stuff we do they tend to 'flub out'. I find a hotter bridge like the Jess luerio telemaster (hands down best JMbridge pickup I've had) really makes all the difference for live playing. Mid position wise I've had some combinations that sound weirdly out of phase regardless of correct polarity and direction but the set I have in my JM just sound great.

So yeh, depends on your goals. Or , if like alot of us, you just like smelling solder and pissing around with guitars for the sake of it, then you've got a lot to gain merely by undertaking the project !

k1w1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 391 times

Post by k1w1 »

Not played out or with anyone for over 10 years, I'll leave them then, to be honest I have been impressed with the Indonesian Jazzy and Starcaster fit and finish.

Yeah I like mucking around with guitars but mostly old vintage stuff, neck resets and the likes. I'll stick to that, have quite a queue with three guitars needing a neck reset and a couple of mandolins and a new fretboard for a Tiple.

HackSaw
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 519 times

Post by HackSaw »

k1w1 wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:44 pm

I swapped my Squier pickups for some fender vintage 65’s. I’m not entirely sure I didn’t like it more beforehand. I’d stay stock and save the coin!

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7727 times
Been liked: 4169 times

Post by jeremyb »

If you really want it to sing! https://mrglynspickups.com/
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

IMOCD
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 481 times
Been liked: 222 times

Post by IMOCD »

jeremyb wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:15 am If you really want it to sing! https://mrglynspickups.com/
Pretty close to pulling the trigger on a set of Tui and an Integrity HB. Just took delivery of Oleg's HSS warmoth strat and it is as good as he said it was, but not really gelling with alnico ii's, a bit too well behaved, and I think I'm going to struggle up against my bandmates humbucker stew.

I think I'll pair them up with an Obsidian kit as they have a killer setup for HSS guitars that enables both SC's and HB's to see their true ohm value. I know I could do it myself, but my soldering skills have not improved and I run the risk of nuking something. Besides good to support local, aye? :wink:

..oh and black pickguard and black input jack on their way too. :thumbup:

...and apologies y'all for polluting the thread with strat talk
IMG20210315144425.jpg
IMG20210315144425.jpg (3.74 MiB) Viewed 5732 times

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7727 times
Been liked: 4169 times

Post by jeremyb »

You won’t regret putting in the obsidian kit, they’re so good!!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

IMOCD
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by IMOCD »

jeremyb wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:11 am You won’t regret putting in the obsidian kit, they’re so good!!
Just put one in the LP I traded for the strat. Soooooo refreshingly easy; no burns, no cursing.......

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

IMOCD wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:40 am
jeremyb wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:15 am If you really want it to sing! https://mrglynspickups.com/
Pretty close to pulling the trigger on a set of Tui and an Integrity HB. Just took delivery of Oleg's HSS warmoth strat and it is as good as he said it was, but not really gelling with alnico ii's, a bit too well behaved, and I think I'm going to struggle up against my bandmates humbucker stew.

I think I'll pair them up with an Obsidian kit as they have a killer setup for HSS guitars that enables both SC's and HB's to see their true ohm value. I know I could do it myself, but my soldering skills have not improved and I run the risk of nuking something. Besides good to support local, aye? :wink:

IMG20210315144425.jpg
:wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :oh: :oh: :crybaby:
HSS strat content is not allowed in offset chat
Your post has been referred to the department of offset affairs for immediate consideration of inhumane punishments.

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 1047 times

Post by kdawg2a »

StrummersOfThunder wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:01 am

IMG20210315144425.jpg
Your post has been referred to the department of offset affairs for immediate consideration of inhumane punishments.
Severe bollock flogging to be unleashed by JB.
As soon as I saw that symmetrical waist and fancy top, I was engulfed in rage.

Please don't look at any of my posts on any of the Strat threads.
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.
1958 Fender twin, 1965 Vox AC30, 1966 Marshall JTM 45, 1977 Dumble OD Special.
Big black garbage bag full of original Klon Centaurs and TS808s.

IMOCD
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by IMOCD »

:lol: ...oh dear, now I'm really in trouble having mentioned LP as well. I seek forgiveness from the collective of cool whom sling offsets. They are purdy, there's no denying that!

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 862 times
Been liked: 742 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

In his defence, a Strat is not symmetric, and one horn does stick out slightly more than the other....

Nah, just kidding, this is a serious infraction.

Punishment is as follows:

Get a proper offset guitar and post pics of it here. ASAP. Oh, and your Strat is confiscated.

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 597 times

Post by Starfire »

Bleh. Need at least two offsets to wash the taste of Strat from my eyes.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

kdawg2a wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:07 am
StrummersOfThunder wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:01 am

IMG20210315144425.jpg
Severe bollock flogging to be unleashed by JB.
As soon as I saw that symmetrical waist and fancy top, I was engulfed in rage.

Please don't look at any of my posts on any of the Strat threads.
I'm having difficulty looking at anything right now. Still piecing together the torn shards that were my corneas.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Starfire wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:58 pm Bleh. Need at least two offsets to wash the taste of Strat from my eyes.

Oh sweet grandma's cake mix that JM :crybaby:
So good