Offset chat

Pickups, Pots, Caps, Wiring

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Mr Bungle
Ashton
Ashton
Posts: 125
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:42 am
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 51 times

Re: Offset chat

Post by Mr Bungle »

StrummersOfThunder wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 4:07 pm
Mr Bungle wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 12:30 pm
StrummersOfThunder wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 1:35 pm Anyone tried the toughtset bridge yet ?
Looks really interesting https://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/vi ... p?t=126191

I've got a Staytrem, but I've never fitted it as my AO60s Jazzmaster is set up well and I have no issues with the stock bridge.

Really don't like the look of the Mastery on a vintage Jazz. The Tuffset looks a litte in between both.
I agree re: aesthetics of the mastery on vintage spec offsets
I went back to old mustang bridge on my 63 JM
Considering grabbing a toughset, looks good to me
What issues were you having? And what strings do you typically use? My AOJM is 9.5” but is the old style bridge. No issues. As you know I have a 7.25” inbound.

User avatar
StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 7495
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:23 pm
Has liked: 883 times
Been liked: 1417 times

Re: Offset chat

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

Mr Bungle wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 10:02 pm
StrummersOfThunder wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 4:07 pm
Mr Bungle wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 12:30 pm

Looks really interesting https://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/vi ... p?t=126191

I've got a Staytrem, but I've never fitted it as my AO60s Jazzmaster is set up well and I have no issues with the stock bridge.

Really don't like the look of the Mastery on a vintage Jazz. The Tuffset looks a litte in between both.
I agree re: aesthetics of the mastery on vintage spec offsets
I went back to old mustang bridge on my 63 JM
Considering grabbing a toughset, looks good to me
What issues were you having? And what strings do you typically use? My AOJM is 9.5” but is the old style bridge. No issues. As you know I have a 7.25” inbound.
I use 11's onmy JMs and 12's on my jag.

Issues with the original JM bridge:
1. Grates your hand off
2. Strings skip out of slots
3. chattery and relatively poor sustain

Issues with mastery on a vintage guitar:
1. Looks wrong

Issues with mastery in general
1. Lacks individual string adjustment
2. Prioe to rattle/buzz
3. Tend to self lower/sink over time unless you use locktite or a bit of nail varnish

Dont get me wrong, the mastery is a fine bridge. But its not perfect and its not right for vintage offsets IMO

Mr Bungle
Ashton
Ashton
Posts: 125
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:42 am
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 51 times

Re: Offset chat

Post by Mr Bungle »

StrummersOfThunder wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 6:04 am
Mr Bungle wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 10:02 pm
StrummersOfThunder wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 4:07 pm

I agree re: aesthetics of the mastery on vintage spec offsets
I went back to old mustang bridge on my 63 JM
Considering grabbing a toughset, looks good to me
What issues were you having? And what strings do you typically use? My AOJM is 9.5” but is the old style bridge. No issues. As you know I have a 7.25” inbound.
I use 11's onmy JMs and 12's on my jag.

Issues with the original JM bridge:
1. Grates your hand off
2. Strings skip out of slots
3. chattery and relatively poor sustain

Issues with mastery on a vintage guitar:
1. Looks wrong

Issues with mastery in general
1. Lacks individual string adjustment
2. Prioe to rattle/buzz
3. Tend to self lower/sink over time unless you use locktite or a bit of nail varnish

Dont get me wrong, the mastery is a fine bridge. But its not perfect and its not right for vintage offsets IMO
Thanks for that. I run 10s on all my electrics. Might have to jump up to 11s when the '64 arrives.

Not a fan of the Staytrem? They're the best looking of the 3.

User avatar
StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 7495
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:23 pm
Has liked: 883 times
Been liked: 1417 times

Re: Offset chat

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

Mr Bungle wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 12:35 pm
StrummersOfThunder wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 6:04 am
Mr Bungle wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 10:02 pm

What issues were you having? And what strings do you typically use? My AOJM is 9.5” but is the old style bridge. No issues. As you know I have a 7.25” inbound.
I use 11's onmy JMs and 12's on my jag.

Issues with the original JM bridge:
1. Grates your hand off
2. Strings skip out of slots
3. chattery and relatively poor sustain

Issues with mastery on a vintage guitar:
1. Looks wrong

Issues with mastery in general
1. Lacks individual string adjustment
2. Prioe to rattle/buzz
3. Tend to self lower/sink over time unless you use locktite or a bit of nail varnish

Dont get me wrong, the mastery is a fine bridge. But its not perfect and its not right for vintage offsets IMO
Thanks for that. I run 10s on all my electrics. Might have to jump up to 11s when the '64 arrives.

Not a fan of the Staytrem? They're the best looking of the 3.
Staytrems good but I don’t own one. They aren’t far of a jag bridge from what I can tell

Yep 11s for a JM. Particularly if you are playing surf

User avatar
jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 3420
Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2004 2:23 pm
Location: Auckland
Has liked: 876 times
Been liked: 365 times

Re: Offset chat

Post by jimi »

Offset Advice please!

Used my Squier JM for a band practice, and it held up okay, plus we’ve got a new guitarist who is also a LP into a Marshall guy, so I enjoyed the sound of the JM not sitting in the same space.

While it’s passable, and I like it, I don’t love it, So now I’m looking at either upgrading parts, or just looking for a replacement.

Anyone sitting on a good giggable JM they want to sell?

Otherwise suggestions please on good upgrades for a Squier CV 70s? Looking at maybe some pickups from Glyn, a fender or mastery trem, locking tuners. Not sure if any other electronics upgrades are needed with the pickup swap. I like the 2 circuits, tho the switch to swap could be easier to hit.

Issues
- tuning could be stabler
- there are a few places where bends fret out
- usual Squier too much poly on the neck thing going on
- not the same clarity as I’ve heard on other JMs I’ve played

User avatar
AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 7816
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:33 pm
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 706 times

Re: Offset chat

Post by AiRdAd »

jimi wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 1:12 pm Offset Advice please!

Used my Squier JM for a band practice, and it held up okay, plus we’ve got a new guitarist who is also a LP into a Marshall guy, so I enjoyed the sound of the JM not sitting in the same space.

While it’s passable, and I like it, I don’t love it, So now I’m looking at either upgrading parts, or just looking for a replacement.

Anyone sitting on a good giggable JM they want to sell?

Otherwise suggestions please on good upgrades for a Squier CV 70s? Looking at maybe some pickups from Glyn, a fender or mastery trem, locking tuners. Not sure if any other electronics upgrades are needed with the pickup swap. I like the 2 circuits, tho the switch to swap could be easier to hit.

Issues
- tuning could be stabler
- there are a few places where bends fret out
- usual Squier too much poly on the neck thing going on
- not the same clarity as I’ve heard on other JMs I’ve played
A really good place to start is to shim the neck to increase the break angle. It helps with the tuning, and it might be my imagination, but from memory it made my one sound better when I did it.
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

User avatar
StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 7495
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:23 pm
Has liked: 883 times
Been liked: 1417 times

Re: Offset chat

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

jimi wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 1:12 pm Offset Advice please!

Used my Squier JM for a band practice, and it held up okay, plus we’ve got a new guitarist who is also a LP into a Marshall guy, so I enjoyed the sound of the JM not sitting in the same space.

While it’s passable, and I like it, I don’t love it, So now I’m looking at either upgrading parts, or just looking for a replacement.

Anyone sitting on a good giggable JM they want to sell?

Otherwise suggestions please on good upgrades for a Squier CV 70s? Looking at maybe some pickups from Glyn, a fender or mastery trem, locking tuners. Not sure if any other electronics upgrades are needed with the pickup swap. I like the 2 circuits, tho the switch to swap could be easier to hit.

Issues
- tuning could be stabler
- there are a few places where bends fret out
- usual Squier too much poly on the neck thing going on
- not the same clarity as I’ve heard on other JMs I’ve played
1. Bridge: Get a mustang. that will get you most of the way. If you must have a mastery I could sell you one.
2. See if you can grab a USA trem assembly off ebay or reverb or new. Worth it.
3. Grease your nut. Get decent tuners.
4. Solder your string winds (ive had them unravel a little and sometimes completely with heavy vibrato use)
5. Turn your trem plate scres upside down ( I .e screw in from underneath)
6. Use 11s not 10s
7. If oyu dont change out the whole trem assembly at least get a better spring
8. Pickups. I dont know what squiers are running with but if they are as bad as MIJ ones then they have to go. Lots of options. I have a set of fender AVRI's you could try and buy if they suit you. I might have some others too.
9. Shim the neck. Almost all need this. Get a proper tapered shim not a bit of card.
10. Electronics. The 1 MEG pots can sound weird. I like a resistor mod across the outer lugs to make a sort of 500k (but not exactly the same as a 500k pot, its its onw thing but works with JMs)
11. synthetic steel wool or sand paper to remove the neck shine. No one wants a clacky poly neck
12. Sometimes have to play with your pole (pieces) I usally poke the D out a little to give some stagger.

User avatar
jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Posts: 42360
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:03 am
Has liked: 8057 times
Been liked: 4299 times

Re: Offset chat

Post by jeremyb »

StrummersOfThunder wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 6:32 pm I usually poke the D out a little to give some stagger.
Aroused.
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Mr Bungle
Ashton
Ashton
Posts: 125
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:42 am
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 51 times

Re: Offset chat

Post by Mr Bungle »

StrummersOfThunder wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 12:49 pm
Mr Bungle wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 12:35 pm
StrummersOfThunder wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 6:04 am

I use 11's onmy JMs and 12's on my jag.

Issues with the original JM bridge:
1. Grates your hand off
2. Strings skip out of slots
3. chattery and relatively poor sustain

Issues with mastery on a vintage guitar:
1. Looks wrong

Issues with mastery in general
1. Lacks individual string adjustment
2. Prioe to rattle/buzz
3. Tend to self lower/sink over time unless you use locktite or a bit of nail varnish

Dont get me wrong, the mastery is a fine bridge. But its not perfect and its not right for vintage offsets IMO
Thanks for that. I run 10s on all my electrics. Might have to jump up to 11s when the '64 arrives.

Not a fan of the Staytrem? They're the best looking of the 3.
Staytrems good but I don’t own one. They aren’t far of a jag bridge from what I can tell

Yep 11s for a JM. Particularly if you are playing surf
https://www.instagram.com/reel/C8_AkHHR ... g1ZHJrbQ==

User avatar
AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 7816
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:33 pm
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 706 times

Re: Offset chat

Post by AiRdAd »

StrummersOfThunder wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 6:32 pm
jimi wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 1:12 pm Offset Advice please!

Used my Squier JM for a band practice, and it held up okay, plus we’ve got a new guitarist who is also a LP into a Marshall guy, so I enjoyed the sound of the JM not sitting in the same space.

While it’s passable, and I like it, I don’t love it, So now I’m looking at either upgrading parts, or just looking for a replacement.

Anyone sitting on a good giggable JM they want to sell?

Otherwise suggestions please on good upgrades for a Squier CV 70s? Looking at maybe some pickups from Glyn, a fender or mastery trem, locking tuners. Not sure if any other electronics upgrades are needed with the pickup swap. I like the 2 circuits, tho the switch to swap could be easier to hit.

Issues
- tuning could be stabler
- there are a few places where bends fret out
- usual Squier too much poly on the neck thing going on
- not the same clarity as I’ve heard on other JMs I’ve played
1. Bridge: Get a mustang. that will get you most of the way. If you must have a mastery I could sell you one.
2. See if you can grab a USA trem assembly off ebay or reverb or new. Worth it.
3. Grease your nut. Get decent tuners.
4. Solder your string winds (ive had them unravel a little and sometimes completely with heavy vibrato use)
5. Turn your trem plate scres upside down ( I .e screw in from underneath)
6. Use 11s not 10s
7. If oyu dont change out the whole trem assembly at least get a better spring
8. Pickups. I dont know what squiers are running with but if they are as bad as MIJ ones then they have to go. Lots of options. I have a set of fender AVRI's you could try and buy if they suit you. I might have some others too.
9. Shim the neck. Almost all need this. Get a proper tapered shim not a bit of card.
10. Electronics. The 1 MEG pots can sound weird. I like a resistor mod across the outer lugs to make a sort of 500k (but not exactly the same as a 500k pot, its its onw thing but works with JMs)
11. synthetic steel wool or sand paper to remove the neck shine. No one wants a clacky poly neck
12. Sometimes have to play with your pole (pieces) I usally poke the D out a little to give some stagger.
Do you think something like this might be a more cost effective solution? It might be a better all around guitar, and you might not need to upgrade pickups/bridge/wiring/trem/tuners etc? He's also got a car listed, so you could potentially negotiate a better price without fees.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/marketplace ... f=Pvb5OtWI
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

User avatar
Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 23282
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:13 pm
Location: Orcland
Has liked: 1039 times
Been liked: 2535 times

Re: Offset chat

Post by Slowy »

AiRdAd wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 1:56 pm

Do you think something like this might be a more cost effective solution? It might be a better all around guitar, and you might not need to upgrade pickups/bridge/wiring/trem/tuners etc? He's also got a car listed, so you could potentially negotiate a better price without fees.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/marketplace ... f=Pvb5OtWI
That does seem a good price....... Japanese made....... and I'm currently getting my Nels Cline on......

Sigh :roll:
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

User avatar
StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 7495
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:23 pm
Has liked: 883 times
Been liked: 1417 times

Re: Offset chat

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

AiRdAd wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 1:56 pm
StrummersOfThunder wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 6:32 pm
jimi wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 1:12 pm Offset Advice please!

Used my Squier JM for a band practice, and it held up okay, plus we’ve got a new guitarist who is also a LP into a Marshall guy, so I enjoyed the sound of the JM not sitting in the same space.

While it’s passable, and I like it, I don’t love it, So now I’m looking at either upgrading parts, or just looking for a replacement.

Anyone sitting on a good giggable JM they want to sell?

Otherwise suggestions please on good upgrades for a Squier CV 70s? Looking at maybe some pickups from Glyn, a fender or mastery trem, locking tuners. Not sure if any other electronics upgrades are needed with the pickup swap. I like the 2 circuits, tho the switch to swap could be easier to hit.

Issues
- tuning could be stabler
- there are a few places where bends fret out
- usual Squier too much poly on the neck thing going on
- not the same clarity as I’ve heard on other JMs I’ve played
1. Bridge: Get a mustang. that will get you most of the way. If you must have a mastery I could sell you one.
2. See if you can grab a USA trem assembly off ebay or reverb or new. Worth it.
3. Grease your nut. Get decent tuners.
4. Solder your string winds (ive had them unravel a little and sometimes completely with heavy vibrato use)
5. Turn your trem plate scres upside down ( I .e screw in from underneath)
6. Use 11s not 10s
7. If oyu dont change out the whole trem assembly at least get a better spring
8. Pickups. I dont know what squiers are running with but if they are as bad as MIJ ones then they have to go. Lots of options. I have a set of fender AVRI's you could try and buy if they suit you. I might have some others too.
9. Shim the neck. Almost all need this. Get a proper tapered shim not a bit of card.
10. Electronics. The 1 MEG pots can sound weird. I like a resistor mod across the outer lugs to make a sort of 500k (but not exactly the same as a 500k pot, its its onw thing but works with JMs)
11. synthetic steel wool or sand paper to remove the neck shine. No one wants a clacky poly neck
12. Sometimes have to play with your pole (pieces) I usally poke the D out a little to give some stagger.
Do you think something like this might be a more cost effective solution? It might be a better all around guitar, and you might not need to upgrade pickups/bridge/wiring/trem/tuners etc? He's also got a car listed, so you could potentially negotiate a better price without fees.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/marketplace ... f=Pvb5OtWI
Couldnt comment, have never played one. Looks nice tho. Will have thick poly and a japanese profile neck.

Im always wary of chucking great parts at a cheap guitar and expecting a result. I guess it can sometimes work. Partscasters are a good example. More often than not what reads like a bunch of high end stuff cobbled together isnt really that good. I guess thats why we have luthiers that know how to build a guitar from the ground up.

Ive assmebled a partscaster that has wowed me. I know there are a couple floating round that are legendary tho.

For what its worth I just think its worth laying down the coin and getting a USA fender offset. Maybe play round with the pickups.
Yep youll pay up for it but no free lunches etc

User avatar
jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 3420
Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2004 2:23 pm
Location: Auckland
Has liked: 876 times
Been liked: 365 times

Re: Offset chat

Post by jimi »

StrummersOfThunder wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 6:36 pm
AiRdAd wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 1:56 pm
Do you think something like this might be a more cost effective solution? It might be a better all around guitar, and you might not need to upgrade pickups/bridge/wiring/trem/tuners etc? He's also got a car listed, so you could potentially negotiate a better price without fees.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/marketplace ... f=Pvb5OtWI
For what its worth I just think its worth laying down the coin and getting a USA fender offset. Maybe play round with the pickups.
Yep youll pay up for it but no free lunches etc
Cheers! Yeah, all advice appreciated.

I think holding out for a good one is the answer.

Guitar Gallery have a nice looking Vintera I’m going to try out next time I’m in the area. Otherwise it’s mostly MIJ JMs on FB and TM. All good though, I’m happy to sit and wait on the right guitar to come along.

Can always pimp my Squier if I get too impatient.

User avatar
StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 7495
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:23 pm
Has liked: 883 times
Been liked: 1417 times

Re: Offset chat

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

jimi wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 9:40 pm
StrummersOfThunder wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 6:36 pm
AiRdAd wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 1:56 pm
Do you think something like this might be a more cost effective solution? It might be a better all around guitar, and you might not need to upgrade pickups/bridge/wiring/trem/tuners etc? He's also got a car listed, so you could potentially negotiate a better price without fees.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/marketplace ... f=Pvb5OtWI
For what its worth I just think its worth laying down the coin and getting a USA fender offset. Maybe play round with the pickups.
Yep youll pay up for it but no free lunches etc
Cheers! Yeah, all advice appreciated.

I think holding out for a good one is the answer.

Guitar Gallery have a nice looking Vintera I’m going to try out next time I’m in the area. Otherwise it’s mostly MIJ JMs on FB and TM. All good though, I’m happy to sit and wait on the right guitar to come along.

Can always pimp my Squier if I get too impatient.
I went there a month ago.
The vintera offsets.... the ones i tried ...not worth price of admission. God the pau ferro fretboard is ghastly. And also gloss poly finish. And to make mattes worse...$2900??! And the setup, fit and finish was crappo. Im sorry, but it just was.

Heres something tast ideas from J guitar japan. Remember they should be able to take tax off for international purchases. You still be up for shipping and tax our end but still...

Looking at reverb I can see shipping from japan to nz for a JM/Jag for as little as $200-250 NZD.
Assuming remiving japanese sales tax of 10% and adding shipping plus nz tax of 15% on sale price and shipping.

https://www.j-guitar.com/products/detail.php?id=1282904
ender AMERICAN VINTAGE II 1966 JAZZMASTER DAKOTA RED. 297'000 yen -> 3000 . Minus japan tax = $2700 + shipping $250 x 1.15 = $3335 NZD
Image



2002 AV 62 USA jag 260'000 yen - > 2600 NZD. minus tax = 2340 . add $250 = 2590 x 1.15 = 2978 NZD

Image

Post Reply