meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Out of Phase Wiring

Post by Slowy »

IMG_3703.JPG
IMG_3703.JPG (95.02 KiB) Viewed 3651 times
[/i]
Wanting to change to middle position on the Korinacaster to out of phase. Going for herd wisdom before I start.

So what wires do I need to swap?

And my old 5SE's camera really isn't up to it anymore...
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Re: Out of Phase Wiring

Post by jeremyb »

With a single coil all you would need to do is swap the leads coming from the pickup, so choose a pickup, maybe neck? unsolder its black ground wire and put it to the switch where the other neck wire is (white??) and put that white to ground instead.
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

jeremyb wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:18 am With a single coil all you would need to do is swap the leads coming from the pickup, so choose a pickup, maybe neck? unsolder its black ground wire and put it to the switch where the other neck wire is (white??) and put that white to ground instead.
That's what I thought; just checking though. :thumbup:
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Curious to know why you would want the out of phase thing, doesn't it make them sound really thin?
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

IMOCD
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 479 times
Been liked: 221 times

Post by IMOCD »

How does the 50's wiring work out for you? Only ever tried it on P90 and HB guitars.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

jeremyb wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:56 am Curious to know why you would want the out of phase thing, doesn't it make them sound really thin?
Why yes, it does. But it also pops clearly out of a mix in a way rounder tones don't. I like the nasal quality and it works well with the fingerpicking which is 80% of my playing. Amps and pedals can maintain the 'honk' and still make it as big as you like.

Absolutely the best tone for swampy blues too.

Of the 6 pickup tones on the Baja, the standard both pups on is the only one I really don't use. Just doesn't have the character of the out of phase option.
And if I wanted huge fat tones, I'd probably be better friends with Les Pauls. :rofl:

Mattallica
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 558 times
Been liked: 175 times

Post by Mattallica »

Add a push pull pot for both options

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

IMOCD wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:59 am How does the 50's wiring work out for you? Only ever tried it on P90 and HB guitars.
That's the one with the treble rolloff? If so, not for me.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Mattallica wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:12 am Add a push pull pot for both options
Baja Tele. Job done. :thumbup:
Never use both pups on the Korinacaster. Each of the Lollars has a distinct and wonderful voice. Combined though, they seem less.

IMOCD
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 479 times
Been liked: 221 times

Post by IMOCD »

Slowy wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:14 am
IMOCD wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:59 am How does the 50's wiring work out for you? Only ever tried it on P90 and HB guitars.
50's retains treble as you roll off volume. To my untrained eye, having the tone cap between V and T like you have, makes it 50's style(??).

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

IMOCD wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:44 am
Slowy wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:14 am
50's retains treble as you roll off volume. To my untrained eye, having the tone cap between V and T like you have, makes it 50's style(??).
Right. In that case yes, I like.

JustMatt
Gibson
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 68 times

Post by JustMatt »

Like JB said BUT.....

The neck pickup cover will then be attached directly to hot. If you touch it, it will buzz like a MF.

You should detach the pickup cover from the ground wire and solder on its own independent one, which should then be sent to ground.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

ToneLoungeMatt wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:55 pm Like JB said BUT.....

The neck pickup cover will then be attached directly to hot. If you touch it, it will buzz like a MF.

You should detach the pickup cover from the ground wire and solder on its own independent one, which should then be sent to ground.
Didn't think of that, doh!! Maybe just reverse the bridge pickup?

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

jeremyb wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:01 pm
ToneLoungeMatt wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:55 pm Like JB said BUT.....

Didn't think of that, doh!! Maybe just reverse the bridge pickup?
Wot Jb said?

JustMatt
Gibson
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 68 times

Post by JustMatt »

Nope. The bridge pickup is worse.

The ground wire is attached to the copper base plate, which is attached to the mounting screws, which are attached to bridge, which is attached to your strings.