Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

macmacmac
Stagg
Stagg
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1 time

Single coil humbucker

Post by macmacmac »

So I was going to start building my own Jaguar, and I got to thinking about what pickup to put in the bridge. Humbucker or regular Jag bridge PU? I really like both but then I thought, why not both? I've heard you can wire two single coils into a humbucker but I've never seen any wiring diagrams or instructions on how to. I'd like to add a coil split to get traditional Jag sounds from the bridge but I'm electronically illiterate and I'd need to be spoonfed instructions... lol. :mental:

Has anyone tried to do something like this? Did it turn out good or a bit shit?
Don't get me wrong he's a nice guy, I like him just fine. But he's a mouth breather.

IMOCD
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 479 times
Been liked: 221 times

Re: Single coil humbucker

Post by IMOCD »

macmacmac wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:28 am So I was going to start building my own Jaguar, and I got to thinking about what pickup to put in the bridge. Humbucker or regular Jag bridge PU? I really like both but then I thought, why not both? I've heard you can wire two single coils into a humbucker but I've never seen any wiring diagrams or instructions on how to. I'd like to add a coil split to get traditional Jag sounds from the bridge but I'm electronically illiterate and I'd need to be spoonfed instructions... lol. :mental:

Hello, I wired a tele once with a 4 way switch, where position 4 added both pickups in series, effectively making a humbucker. It sounded great. Every tele needs this mod IMO. Plenty of wiring diagrams out there for this. Thinking further though, if the mustang has an LP style 3 way, then maybe a 'push/pull' configuration on one of the pots is the way to go. Can't be much help there tho sorry, but plenty of folk here who can I'm sure.:wave:

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

the old tele 4 way where it all becomes a wide Humbucker sounds pretty sweet. that wiring should work in a jag too, no?

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

IMOCD wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:23 am
macmacmac wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:28 am So I was going to start building my own Jaguar, and I got to thinking about what pickup to put in the bridge. Humbucker or regular Jag bridge PU? I really like both but then I thought, why not both? I've heard you can wire two single coils into a humbucker but I've never seen any wiring diagrams or instructions on how to. I'd like to add a coil split to get traditional Jag sounds from the bridge but I'm electronically illiterate and I'd need to be spoonfed instructions... lol. :mental:

Hello, I wired a tele once with a 4 way switch, where position 4 added both pickups in series, effectively making a humbucker. It sounded great. Every tele needs this mod IMO. Plenty of wiring diagrams out there for this. Thinking further though, if the mustang has an LP style 3 way, then maybe a 'push/pull' configuration on one of the pots is the way to go. Can't be much help there tho sorry, but plenty of folk here who can I'm sure.:wave:
I have this kit in my tele: https://obsidianwire.com/custom-4-way-wiring-for-tele/ its incredible quality and the easiest install in the universe, no soldering required! Plus Mat is a local Chch lad and all round good bloke, check out his other ones too, I have the 7 way kit in my strat :thumbup:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

IMOCD
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 479 times
Been liked: 221 times

Post by IMOCD »

Intriguing.....what does pozzie 6 and 7 do? Phasing?

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

IMOCD wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:35 pm Intriguing.....what does pozzie 6 and 7 do? Phasing?
It's still got a 5 way switch but the second tone control you can pull out to add in the neck pickup in positions 1 & 2, aka the Gilmour mod, which I believe he never uses :lol:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.