Les_Paul86
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 15 times

Re: Lots of build questions...

Post by Les_Paul86 »

I think it might work... seems to be stable.

The best things in life are actually really expensive!

ChAoZ
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 291 times

Post by ChAoZ »

Route it for a Floyd - Problem solved :)
Attachments
396441_176759362428623_1121923205_n.jpg
396441_176759362428623_1121923205_n.jpg (85.05 KiB) Viewed 4838 times

Lyle
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 255 times

Post by Lyle »

Les_Paul86 wrote:I think it might work... seems to be stable.
See how it goes, are you going to run into issues with the whole bridge shifting horizontally towards the treble side when you use the bar?

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7692 times
Been liked: 4159 times

Post by jeremyb »

Les_Paul86 wrote:I think it might work... seems to be stable.

That looks like it will pop off or at a bare minimum slide around when you use it :(
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Les_Paul86
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Les_Paul86 »

I don't think it can move once the spring etc are in.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

Wow, that trem is a rare thing...it is one of the locking Wilkinson ones--it locks when you move the arm.

That arrangement above makes no sense--apart from the lateral movement problem, the trem is designed to pivot on the fine edges cut into the two recesses at each end, not the middle.

You can buy the two inserts & posts needed to do this properly, and they are not expensive. You can fit them into the two outside holes from the original 6-hole trem, using the original holes as guides, & just drilling them out. Then you push the inserts in, with a bit of glue for good measure, then screw in the posts. Job done.

Les_Paul86
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Les_Paul86 »

olegmcnoleg wrote:Wow, that trem is a rare thing...it is one of the locking Wilkinson ones--it locks when you move the arm.

That arrangement above makes no sense--apart from the lateral movement problem, the trem is designed to pivot on the fine edges cut into the two recesses at each end, not the middle.

You can buy the two inserts & posts needed to do this properly, and they are not expensive. You can fit them into the two outside holes from the original 6-hole trem, using the original holes as guides, & just drilling them out. Then you push the inserts in, with a bit of glue for good measure, then screw in the posts. Job done.
Yeah, I think I will need to make holes, not sure I want to do it on my no1 strat though so the bridge might be put in the cupboard. It does have all the parts needed to do it properly though.

What do you mean by it lock when you move the arm? Is that why there are ball bearings in the block?

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

Yes, that trem is a very clever and fussy thing. It should come with a special spring cover (made of metal, and a cam fitting that goes in it). When the trem arm swings up, it pushes a piston downwards that is caught by the cam, and the trem becomes immobile. I have one, they did not make many as they got sued over the design. If you can get it set up right, it works a charm...trem when you grab the arm, hardtail when you let it go.

If you don't have the other parts you will still be able to use it as a normal bridge.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2255 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

olegmcnoleg wrote:Yes, that trem is a very clever and fussy thing. It should come with a special spring cover (made of metal, and a cam fitting that goes in it). When the trem arm swings up, it pushes a piston downwards that is caught by the cam, and the trem becomes immobile. I have one, they did not make many as they got sued over the design. If you can get it set up right, it works a charm...trem when you grab the arm, hardtail when you let it go.

If you don't have the other parts you will still be able to use it as a normal bridge.
Knife edges are really worn though, did you see?
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Les_Paul86
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Les_Paul86 »

Bg wrote:
olegmcnoleg wrote:Yes, that trem is a very clever and fussy thing. It should come with a special spring cover (made of metal, and a cam fitting that goes in it). When the trem arm swings up, it pushes a piston downwards that is caught by the cam, and the trem becomes immobile. I have one, they did not make many as they got sued over the design. If you can get it set up right, it works a charm...trem when you grab the arm, hardtail when you let it go.

I don't think the wear will cause any issues BG. It's not as bad as it looks, still loads for it to hold onto.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2255 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Les_Paul86 wrote:
Bg wrote:

I don't think the wear will cause any issues BG. It's not as bad as it looks, still loads for it to hold onto.
Worn edges lead to sticky trems though :)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

HackSaw
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 519 times

Post by HackSaw »

Bg wrote:
Les_Paul86 wrote:
Bg wrote:
JB edging leads to sticky trems though :)