Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Bg
Site Admin
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Re: Lots of build questions...

Post by Bg »

Leave it off if it doesn't stick out, thats going to be the easiest solution. I doubt it'll matter, try it nothing to lose! 10mm is a load to take off the block though, I wouldn't think about that. Think I've done about 5mm in the past.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

I've got a different two point wilkinson on a strat body here, it had 6 hole bridge. I'll take a pic to show you how it lines up tomorrow if you're worried about that.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Les_Paul86
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Les_Paul86 »

Bg wrote:Leave it off if it doesn't stick out, thats going to be the easiest solution. I doubt it'll matter, try it nothing to lose! 10mm is a load to take off the block though, I wouldn't think about that. Think I've done about 5mm in the past.
It’s going to stick out. Probably about 3-5mm?
I’m just worried about dampening the sound if it’s resting on me.

The alternate is to put this bridge in my other strat which is thick enough and put a vintage style bridge on this.
The best things in life are actually really expensive!

Les_Paul86
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Les_Paul86 »

Molly wrote:
Les_Paul86 wrote:
Bg wrote:bugger thats different to the two post wilkinsons I've used before... You might be able to hacksaw some of the top of the block where it attaches to the bridge. How much do you need to take off? You might need to chop the screws the same amount
Unsure how much. Maybe 10mm at most.

Would you not recommend just not having a cover on?
Leaving the cover off is fine. I think he was just pointing-out that it might not be possible due to a lack of clearance. First thing I do with a Strat is remove the trem cover. Easier to change strings and easy tweaking as req.
Yeah, I would usually too but this one is going to stick out from the back of the body by 3-5mm probably. That’s what I’m worried about. I might dampen the sound if it’s up against me?

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Les_Paul86 wrote:
Molly wrote:
Les_Paul86 wrote:
Unsure how much. Maybe 10mm at most.

Would you not recommend just not having a cover on?
Leaving the cover off is fine. I think he was just pointing-out that it might not be possible due to a lack of clearance. First thing I do with a Strat is remove the trem cover. Easier to change strings and easy tweaking as req.
Yeah, I would usually too but this one is going to stick out from the back of the body by 3-5mm probably. That’s what I’m worried about. I might dampen the sound if it’s up against me?
No but the tuning will be all over the place if the trem's making contact with your body whilst you're playing. Just shave it down then maybe.

Partscasters often run into such problems. Things are never quite as interchangeable as we hope they'll be.

Les_Paul86
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Les_Paul86 »

So, I’m probably going to put this bridge in my other strat because of how deep the block is.

However, the 6 screw holes are gonna look crap if they’re showing. Pictures below for reference.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but going off the install instructions, this bridge can be installed with 6 screws instead of the 2 point which would require drilling?
I don’t have the screws required and only have the 2 point with inserts, but can probably find something suitable.

Amiright?

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

Les_Paul86 wrote: However, the 6 screw holes are gonna look crap if they’re showing. Pictures below for reference.
Why not fill them and overspray the area? be easy to hide with everything going on there.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

20200518_214850.jpg
20200518_214850.jpg (3.03 MiB) Viewed 4703 times
I never bothered, less noticeable with this style, but its got plenty of dings, a few old holes doesn't really matter ;)

Les_Paul86
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Les_Paul86 »

I’m more worried about making holes that I can’t reverse. If I just use 6 screws instead of the 2 point like BG’s I don’t have to worry about it?
But... can I do that?

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Bg wrote: a few old holes doesn't really matter ;)
Words to live by.
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Lostininverness
Gibson
Has liked: 499 times
Been liked: 136 times

Post by Lostininverness »

Les_Paul86 wrote:I’m more worried about making holes that I can’t reverse. If I just use 6 screws instead of the 2 point like BG’s I don’t have to worry about it?
But... can I do that?
I don't want to be a downer, but if I were you, I'd keep that bridge for another project or pass onto someone else and get a 6-screw bridge with the right hole spacing. Worse case maybe that you have to plug and drill if the body has some weird spacing, but at least you have the line where the screws need to go marked out already. It would mean shelling out $60-$100 (NZ guitar parts has some reasonable bridges), but at least you'd be sure it would play well.

If you're anything like me and when shit goes wrong with projects like this you question your sanity, then I'd go for a bridge that doesn't require a bodge job (no offense BG) to get it to work.

Good luck!

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Lostininverness wrote:
Les_Paul86 wrote:I’m more worried about making holes that I can’t reverse. If I just use 6 screws instead of the 2 point like BG’s I don’t have to worry about it?
But... can I do that?
I don't want to be a downer, but if I were you, I'd keep that bridge for another project or pass onto someone else and get a 6-screw bridge with the right hole spacing. Worse case maybe that you have to plug and drill if the body has some weird spacing, but at least you have the line where the screws need to go marked out already. It would mean shelling out $60-$100 (NZ guitar parts has some reasonable bridges), but at least you'd be sure it would play well.

If you're anything like me and when shit goes wrong with projects like this you question your sanity, then I'd go for a bridge that doesn't require a bodge job (no offense BG) to get it to work.

Good luck!
Yes and no, lots of early strats were fitted with floyds back in the 80's. Actual fitting of a bridge is a minor job - not a bodge job. Its a partscaster, plug and redrill.

I'd go 2 point everytime over 6 screws, if you were ever going to use it.

However the knife edges on that bridge look pretty hammered anyway.

Lostininverness
Gibson
Has liked: 499 times
Been liked: 136 times

Post by Lostininverness »

Bg wrote:
Yes and no, lots of early strats were fitted with floyds back in the 80's. Actual fitting of a bridge is a minor job - not a bodge job. Its a partscaster, plug and redrill.

Oh, I agree with you that its a minor job, one of my first hacks was to fill a 6 hole bridge and drill for a 2 point as well (also filled the neck pick up route and covered it with veneer which was fine till I stained it and it wrinkled.....learning experience, now its sitting gathering dust). But the OP seems concerned about drilling holes and making a mistake that I can relate too, also something about the holes looking shite. It would be a shame if it went wrong, didn't play well, and hopes and dreams were dashed. Personally, I'd just drill the body (JB...) and see how it goes!

And yeah, looks like the bridge posts weren't in the right spot and the knife edges have worn in an odd spot.

Les_Paul86
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Les_Paul86 »

Lostininverness wrote:
Bg wrote:

Oh, I agree with you that its a minor job, one of my first hacks was to fill a 6 hole bridge and drill for a 2 point as well (also filled the neck pick up route and covered it with veneer which was fine till I stained it and it wrinkled.....learning experience, now its sitting gathering dust). But the OP seems concerned about drilling holes and making a mistake that I can relate too, also something about the holes looking shite. It would be a shame if it went wrong, didn't play well, and hopes and dreams were dashed. Personally, I'd just drill the body (JB...) and see how it goes!

And yeah, looks like the bridge posts weren't in the right spot and the knife edges have worn in an odd spot.
Thanks gents. Think i'll just put an old MIM bridge on this project, probably suits it more anyway.

The wilkinson should go in my other strat but again, holes will be needed to change for a 2 point and i'm fairly precocious about that guitar. So the dilemma will surface again lol.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Les_Paul86 wrote:
Lostininverness wrote:
Bg wrote:

Thanks gents. Think i'll just put an old MIM bridge on this project, probably suits it more anyway.

The wilkinson should go in my other strat but again, holes will be needed to change for a 2 point and i'm fairly precocious about that guitar. So the dilemma will surface again lol.
Honestly, I'd not put that bridge on any of my guitars, it's pretty much fucked for two point. I don't know about 6 screws, it might work.