Pickups, Pots, Caps, Wiring

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

scottpalmy
Stagg
Stagg
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Truss Rod Cover Screws

Post by scottpalmy »

Here's a hint if you are removing the truss rod cover on Gibson style headstocks.

I replaced the tuners on a Gibson acoustic on the weekend. (Thanks Iain, the Klusons are the right match and look great) I also removed the bell shaped truss rod cover to check the state of the truss rod. When replacing the cover the screw nearest the nut stripped the timber before the head tightened on the cover.

Turns out the screw was a replacement and too long so that it hit the truss rod before tightening on the cover.

If you can follow all that you can appreciate that this screw needs to be short so it won't hit the rod below.

Bit of a bugger stripping out the screw hole but fixed with a plug of rimu and shortened screw.

TMG 03
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by TMG 03 »

A match stick sometimes does the job.

did you find much under the TRC? ;)

Mike_Hosking
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Mike_Hosking »

i use toothpicks and glue, had to do that trick on a few of my guitars for the strap buttons, they aint come out since, the glue should be thanked for that lol.
success is fleeting, but artistry lasts forever.

scottpalmy
Stagg
Stagg

Post by scottpalmy »

I had a block of rimu and it seemed beter than a soft match stick. I'll glue it if it works loose.

The truss rod nut was good, no rounding of the hex nut through use of the wrong tool. Guitar (J45) is 5 years old but I only bought 6 months ago. Relief in neck is fine so I'm not playing with the TR.

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

I use matchsticks and PVA glue for the strap buttons too.
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

TMG 03
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by TMG 03 »

Every single guitar of mine is missing screws. From Pickguards to pot cavities. They just fall of and I never bother to get more.