Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

MakoGat
Squier
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 115 times

Strat Territory

Post by MakoGat »

Recently had a play on a nice strat after doing some repairs a few weeks back, really felt nice. I love SRV and the sound of Mick from TPS blue so I went on the hunt for my first strat (IKR). Searched in NZ, Ozzie and the USA for something used, kinda old but within a budget and found a nice original 98 USA deluxe chrome red, alder body, rosewood board.
As I like tinkering and vintage stuff ive ordered Callaham stamped saddles, springs & block, an aluminium shielding plate, .1 cap, a relic jack plate as all other parts look aged accept for this so must have been replaced at some point, and a set of SD Texas Hot mmmmmmmmmm.
It should be with me net week and parts from USA arrive then also so will post pics.
Cant wait to chuck on some 10s or 11s and blues it

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Re: Strat Territory

Post by Bg »

I love chrome red :)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

MakoGat
Squier

Post by MakoGat »

I like Fiesta, olive & sonic blue but you are right chrome red is pretty stunning especially with the natural ageing and "minting" plastics, the maple on the neck has also gone a little roasted colour too, even in original case. I wonder if there is anything in the pocket!

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

Olive Strat - yes, never thought of that! Ok, that’s the colour I’m going for. Cheers
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

MakoGat
Squier

Post by MakoGat »

GrantB wrote:Olive Strat - yes, never thought of that! Ok, that’s the colour I’m going for. Cheers
Look good with black pickguards

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

GrantB wrote:Olive Strat - yes, never thought of that! Ok, that’s the colour I’m going for. Cheers
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

Hmm, good point. I like both.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

GrantB wrote:Hmm, good point. I like both.
2 strats then ... you're changing
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

MakoGat
Squier

Post by MakoGat »

jvpp wrote:

that exactly it .... mmmm

MakoGat
Squier

Post by MakoGat »

Currently new / old strat is on its way up from CHCH in the cab of a truck of a company I use for bulk transport. Arrives in AKL tomorrow, so may go out to the depot an pick it up. Aluminium shielding plate, vintage .1uf cap and a few other aged items arrived today so itching for a play... 62 vintage here we come
Last edited by MakoGat on Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

MakoGat wrote:Currently new / old start is on its way up from CHCH in the cab of a truck of a company I use for bulk transport. Arrives in AKL tomorrow, so may go out to the depot an pick I us. Aluminium shielding plate, vintage .1uf cap and a few other aged items arrived today so itching for a play...
I want to put a treble-bleed in the CS Strat I have for sale but, of course, I can't really do that if I'm selling it.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

MakoGat wrote:Currently new / old start is on its way up from CHCH in the cab of a truck of a company I use for bulk transport. Arrives in AKL tomorrow, so may go out to the depot an pick I us. Aluminium shielding plate, vintage .1uf cap and a few other aged items arrived today so itching for a play...
0.1uF cap is 100nF... quite a large value and you will loose most of your treble. I have tried 47nF in the past but even find that too much. Now I never go higher than 33nF...
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

MakoGat
Squier

Post by MakoGat »

jvpp wrote:
0.1uF cap is 100nF... quite a large value and you will loose most of your treble. I have tried 47nF in the past but even find that too much. Now I never go higher than 33nF...
Check vintage specs and only works if you roll it off

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1309 times
Been liked: 867 times

Post by MikeC »

jvpp wrote:
Over the years I've done alot of experimentation with tone cap values especially on Strats. Theoretically, with tone control at 10 you should have 250K ohms (or thereabouts - they do vary +- 20%) between your signal and the tone cap to ground. So MOST of your treble is preserved, but some will sneak thru that 250K ohms pot (this is part of the reason that higher value pots yield a brighter tone). As you turn the treble down, your tone muffles much more quickly with higher value caps. To my ear higher value tone caps (.033uF up to .1uF) give a thicker/fatter tone which can be useful on a Strat bridge, but as always it's all about what you are trying to achieve.
Whakanuia o mea kei a koe

MakoGat
Squier

Post by MakoGat »

Hey Mike, I recently created a list of elements that affect the sound of a guitar (pedals and amp not included from picks or fingers right through to lead to amp and I can say its quite a long list. What you say is about right it depends on what you are trying to achieve - even then in can be near on impossible all things considered.