Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

MakoGat
Squier
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 115 times

Re: Strat Territory

Post by MakoGat »

Well the strat turned up today all in one piece bubble wrapped in its original case (also bubble wrapped).
Opened it .. first impression was ... Ive been conned.. looks new.. perhaps real neck on fake new body - this thing is in super mint condition. Ive seen more beat up guitars hanging on walls new in shops.
Like this spent its life under a bed. Neck is real, serial number all good according to Fender, bridge, pickups & plastics, correct. possibly original frets lol
Im going to have to pull it apart to check further, stamps, electrics etc.
I did want something perhaps a little more worn in but hey, I guess im going to have to do that now.
Will plug it in tonight give it a blast.

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1313 times
Been liked: 867 times

Post by MikeC »

MakoGat wrote:Hey Mike, I recently created a list of elements that affect the sound of a guitar (pedals and amp not included from picks or fingers right through to lead to amp and I can say its quite a long list. What you say is about right it depends on what you are trying to achieve - even then in can be near on impossible all things considered.
So many variables let alone the native tone of the guitar in question!
Whakanuia o mea kei a koe

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2263 times
Been liked: 3907 times

Post by Bg »

Mike Clayton wrote:
MakoGat wrote:Hey Mike, I recently created a list of elements that affect the sound of a guitar (pedals and amp not included from picks or fingers right through to lead to amp and I can say its quite a long list. What you say is about right it depends on what you are trying to achieve - even then in can be near on impossible all things considered.
So many variables let alone the native tone of the guitar in question!
I'm always amazed at how different strats can be. I have 4 (no fenders, apart from a mexican squier) and everyone sounds completely different. Granted one has a mahogany body and a cool rails in the bridge, two have a bridge humbucker etc etc... but even so!
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

MakoGat
Squier

Post by MakoGat »

So many contributing factors, ill see if I can remember that list and make a post of it for council comment haha, its pretty in depth and Im sure ive missed things

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1313 times
Been liked: 867 times

Post by MikeC »

MakoGat wrote:So many contributing factors, ill see if I can remember that list and make a post of it for council comment haha, its pretty in depth and Im sure ive missed things
That'd be interesting, see if everyone agrees or has a different POV.
And then "How to select the right Strat when purchasing", a can of worms I'd say!
Whakanuia o mea kei a koe

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 234 times

Post by Delayman »

Wonder how different a 24.75" scale strat would be - or whether it's the same effect as tuning to Eflat for lower tension. Hmm
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2263 times
Been liked: 3907 times

Post by Bg »

MakoGat wrote:So many contributing factors, ill see if I can remember that list and make a post of it for council comment haha, its pretty in depth and Im sure ive missed things
Don't forget make and type of tremolo. My favourite is the wilkinson 2 point, with knives....

And never blocked, ever.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

MakoGat
Squier

Post by MakoGat »

Hey BG, you just added more to my list as this is the first strat ive owned and never thought of trem / bridge / springs / block HAHA

Tuned up stratty Mcstrat lastnight and wow its pretty nice although intonation is way out, easy fix. Swapped out the parchment knobs over to mint matching the minty pickguard, replaced the jackplate to a relic one as it was to shiny.
The stock "noiseless" pickups are nice but not what I would call strat sounding and I keep looking at the set of aged SD Texas Hot set I have in the cupboard...
Im interested to see whats inside in the way of pot and cap values, wiring ect, I have aluminium shielding plate, huge .1 cap and either vintage wire or evidence audio cable on standby, just waiting for my Callaham shipment to arrive with bridge set and stamped saddles

MakoGat
Squier

Post by MakoGat »

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2488 times
Been liked: 2799 times

Post by Molly »

Lovely dark fretboard on that.

MakoGat
Squier

Post by MakoGat »

It is dark, freshly oiled tho. Did you note the odd abalone dots?

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2488 times
Been liked: 2799 times

Post by Molly »

MakoGat wrote:It is dark, freshly oiled tho. Did you note the odd abalone dots?
No but I have now. :-)

MakoGat
Squier

Post by MakoGat »

So had this thing apart on the weekend, pretty original inside but added a bunch of bits...
Matched set of 250k pots, cloth wire, HUGE .1uf cap, Aluminium shielding plate under pickguard, and a set of Seymour Duncan antiquity Texas Hots (holy these are good).
Also fitted Callaham vintage style saddles, trem block, 4 way springs and a set of 11s - this thing is now a beast!

Why have I never owned a Strat before LMAO

OhFuxk
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by OhFuxk »

MakoGat wrote:Image
the inlays looks unmatchy

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie