Anybody got a really nice set of Strat Pups for sale?

Pickups, Pots, Caps, Wiring

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Re: Anybody got a really nice set of Strat Pups for sale?

Post by Slowy »

Interesting day.
Rained off, so stripped the G&L.
IMG_2609.JPG
Not only a swimming pool, but the guitar's birthday as well! And I'm confident it's an Ash body.
Cleaned, tweaked the intonation, restrung and spent a couple of hours playing the result.
It sounded encouragingly good.
Then I discovered the key to making this guitar work. The volume control is hyper sensitive. The whole tonal character changes in a quarter turn of the volume knob. And the Bass & Treble cut knobs have a huge effect as well.

Armed with this insight, I headed off to band practice to discover I have a Strat with more clarity and tonal variation than I ever thought possible. When you know how to drive it, this thing is incredible. I love it!
IMG_2486.JPG
So this thread is closed. I'm not messing with it. It's as close to a perfect Strat as I can imagine. I'm just going to accept Leo knew better than me and play the hell out of this thing.

Starting to realise I won the lottery with this guitar.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Post by StratMatt »

Me and Slowy both put a couple of bids in against each other for this. But I think it's obvious this guitar went to the right buyer, you know when you've got a winner :)
Loving it so far

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

StratMatt wrote:Me and Slowy both put a couple of bids in against each other for this. But I think it's obvious this guitar went to the right buyer, you know when you've got a winner :)
I owe you for spotting it Matt. Still embarrassed I was bidding against you but it's certainly come to the right home. It has just become my #1 gigging instrument.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

bobiron
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by bobiron »

Good on ya mate (in the Speights voice over tone), good to hear you found out how to work with what you have.
OMM OM MM OMM MM

WellyBlues
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 519 times
Been liked: 351 times

Post by WellyBlues »

Slowy wrote:I'm just going to accept Leo knew better than me
Not bad for a guy who didn't play guitar!
Slowy wrote: Ultimately though, guitars are like women. On paper there's not much difference but only a few can make you happy.
Ray Wylie Hubbard wrote: And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations Well, I have really good days

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

WellyBlues wrote:
I wonder if he's unique in that sense. How many guitar builders/designers out there don't actually play guitar?

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 737 times
Been liked: 511 times

Post by Zaulkin »

codedog wrote:
WellyBlues wrote:
I wonder if he's unique in that sense. How many guitar builders/designers out there don't actually play guitar?
Once I played an acoustic made by a guy who couldn't play a single chord. It was a really impressive guitar, although there were obviously a few bits that he didn't understand having not been a guitarist.

Still a great instrument though. He got a friend of mine to professionally record some songs using the guitar.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

codedog wrote:
WellyBlues wrote:
Sure I've told this story before:
I have an American friend who was instrumental in the development of the G&L Comanche.
Leo Fender gave him a prototype with the instructions, "Play it, come back next week and tell me what you think."

The following week, Leo, brusque as always picked up a clipboard and pencil, "Well?"
Every comment made was met with a sharp, "Why?" and a furious scribbling.

Leo didn't need to play; he knew what to ask from people who could.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

How about these?

When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Post by StratMatt »

Thought I'd jump on the G&L wagon and picked up a nice Sonic Blue one yesterday. Its basically brand new, still had the plastic on the pickguard. Fresh strings and a setup and it plays great. Indonesian S500, mahogany body, rosewood board. Pickups are growing on me, still tempted to get some replacements but I do like the treble and bass controls. Coil tap to activate the neck and bridge pickups together.
Loving it so far

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

StratMatt wrote:Thought I'd jump on the G&L wagon and picked up a nice Sonic Blue one yesterday. Its basically brand new, still had the plastic on the pickguard. Fresh strings and a setup and it plays great. Indonesian S500, mahogany body, rosewood board. Pickups are growing on me, still tempted to get some replacements but I do like the treble and bass controls. Coil tap to activate the neck and bridge pickups together.
Never heard of the S500. Seems like the ultimate modern incarnation of Fender's Strat. The Legacy is a bit Old School so we may each have received our ideal instrument.