Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 928 times

Is anyone here winding pickups? General low wind humbucker chat

Post by Reg18 »

Been researching low wind/single coil pickups that go in a humbucker slot.
Looking at different pickups like the Lollar El Reyo they use bigger gauge wire and an A8 magnet in the bridge and A4 in the neck with a very low DC resistance.
I also noticed a new brand which I like the sound of a lot
Lambertone Crema use the same magnets and a wind of 4.35k DCR bridge and 3.95K DCR in the neck which sounds way to low but they use thicker gauge wire to compensate. https://www.lambertones.com/pickups/humbucker-

Are there other ‘single coil like’ low wind humbuckers out there?

All of these options are super expensive and maybe someone here can wind me a set of low winds so I can experiment with some magnets?

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Re: Is anyone here winding pickups? General low wind humbucker chat

Post by Jay »

Had a look at that web site but could not see any pickup specs.

'Thicker' gauge wire lowers the DC resistance for a given number of turns. So even with an equivalent number of turns as eg, a given Gibson pickup, the 'thicker' wire will have a lower DC reading. The latter is only one part in the equation and the inductance value of the pickup is also important. Then the strength of the magnet has a direct impact on the voltage output the pickup circuit can produce when excited by a moving string withing its field.

So one can build a low DCR pickup with a high number of turns using a thicker gauge (lower AWG number) and achieve the same DCR with a lower number of turns using a thinner wire gauge (higher AWG number). The point being that these will be two very different pickups and your experimenting with magnets needs to take that into account.

I built some humbucking, single coil like sounding pickups using different sizes Neodymium magnets and used AWG43 and AWG42 for different pickups. Wound them by hand and the experimenting process was fun and produced some interesting results.

re your last question - forum member Bobiron has built his own winder which looked rather professional. Perhaps contact him and see what he is up to.
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Reg18 »

jvpp wrote:Had a look at that web site but could not see any pickup specs.

'Thicker' gauge wire lowers the DC resistance for a given number of turns. So even with an equivalent number of turns as eg, a given Gibson pickup, the 'thicker' wire will have a lower DC reading. The latter is only one part in the equation and the inductance value of the pickup is also important. Then the strength of the magnet has a direct impact on the voltage output the pickup circuit can produce when excited by a moving string withing its field.

So one can build a low DCR pickup with a high number of turns using a thicker gauge (lower AWG number) and achieve the same DCR with a lower number of turns using a thinner wire gauge (higher AWG number). The point being that these will be two very different pickups and your experimenting with magnets needs to take that into account.

I built some humbucking, single coil like sounding pickups using different sizes Neodymium magnets and used AWG43 and AWG42 for different pickups. Wound them by hand and the experimenting process was fun and produced some interesting results.

re your last question - forum member Bobiron has built his own winder which looked rather professional. Perhaps contact him and see what he is up to.
Thanks that’s good info. It’s a bit confusing to figure out how to achieve what you want. Hadn’t considered neo mags, I didn’t even realise they were an option. I watched a video where Jason explains the specs of the Lollar El Reyo and it’s pretty interesting.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

I have some 32awg coming for a project if you want some for a rewind, no idea what I'm going to do with 100m of the stuff, just looking to wind 100 turns on a modified pickup to build a sustainer..
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Reg18 »

jeremyb wrote:I have some 32awg coming for a project if you want some for a rewind, no idea what I'm going to do with 100m of the stuff, just looking to wind 100 turns on a modified pickup to build a sustainer..
Is the 32awg thicker than the normal thickness?
Do you still have a guitar with Mean 90s? I was keen to try some of them as well at some point.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Reg18 wrote:
jeremyb wrote:I have some 32awg coming for a project if you want some for a rewind, no idea what I'm going to do with 100m of the stuff, just looking to wind 100 turns on a modified pickup to build a sustainer..
Is the 32awg thicker than the normal thickness?
Do you still have a guitar with Mean 90s? I was keen to try some of them as well at some point.
Yes and yes!! GEARFEST!!!!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 238 times
Been liked: 1040 times

Post by kdawg2a »

Yes. Gearfest.
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.
1958 Fender twin, 1965 Vox AC30, 1966 Marshall JTM 45, 1977 Dumble OD Special.
Big black garbage bag full of original Klon Centaurs and TS808s.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Reg18 »

Yep gearfest in June/July?

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

July would be good!

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Reg18 »

So after some speculation on new pickup options I decided to try dewaxing my existing GFS Surf 90 pickups and it has helped quite a lot!
Thanks to Steve on here who gave me some tips on how to get the wax out.
I also converted the 2 tone controls to a master tone and master bass roll off which works extremely well too! Even with the bass rolled off completely it’s usable on both pickups, sounds pretty close to a Tele bridge pickup with the bass rolled off completely which I love and the neck pickup is clearer which is perfect!