Optical
Tokai
Tokai
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 142 times

Floyd detuners

Post by Optical »

Does anyone use or recommend these things?
Ive only seen the EVH D'Tuna and it seems to get mixed reviews about how accurate the tuning is in each position...

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Re: Floyd detuners

Post by willow13 »

I have a Dtuna, when set up right it was pretty stable. I had it on a fully floating trem that had a stabiliser. Ultimately I took it off because the stabiliser stopped me from doing things I like to do with the trem.

I was going to put the Dtuna on something else but never did because I realised I pretty much never used it
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

AFAIK unless you have a stabiliser like Dave has mentioned, in the case of a fully floating bridge they will cause the other strings to go flat when you use it :(

Can you not get enough turns out of your fine tuner to drop it down a full step?
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Optical
Tokai
Tokai

Post by Optical »

Hmm yeah I guess i'm more after the convenience factor - to avoid spending 5 seconds turning the screw ha
Good to know it works ok though

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 227 times

Post by Delayman »

jeremyb wrote:AFAIK unless you have a stabiliser like Dave has mentioned, in the case of a fully floating bridge they will cause the other strings to go flat when you use it :(

Can you not get enough turns out of your fine tuner to drop it down a full step?

I think the other strings would go sharp wouldn't they? And wouldn't they do the same if you did the same pitch change using the fine tuner?
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Delayman wrote:
jeremyb wrote:AFAIK unless you have a stabiliser like Dave has mentioned, in the case of a fully floating bridge they will cause the other strings to go flat when you use it :(

I think the other strings would go sharp wouldn't they? And wouldn't they do the same if you did the same pitch change using the fine tuner?
DOH! Yes you're right, they will go sharp! Yeah same problem with fine tuner but either way you'd need to adjust the other strings :(
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 227 times

Post by Delayman »

jeremyb wrote:
Delayman wrote:

DOH! Yes you're right, they will go sharp! Yeah same problem with fine tuner but either way you'd need to adjust the other strings :(
This is way I’m not a Floyd guy. I also hated how much the other strings would alter when you bend one note.
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...

Optical
Tokai
Tokai

Post by Optical »

I sold all my Floyd guitars several years back because i got sick of the tuning issues and reduced sustain, yet now find myself with three floyd equipped guitars and enjoying them again...
Blocking the trem at the front is a good compromise - dives only but stable string to string tuning the rest of the time

Optical
Tokai
Tokai

Post by Optical »

FYI this new product has just come out

https://www.allparts.com/products/bp-20 ... floyd-rose

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

I quite like the fixed bridge "floyd" you get on the MTM Mick Thompson Ibanez guitars. No sharp/flat issues with that, but all the "set and forget" tuning stability of a FR. I don't use the FR on my guitars to dive-bomb or squeal, I have no idea where any of my trem arms are.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.