griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 247 times

Refret, what guage?

Post by griff »

Hey all. I'm getting a local fella to refret my Epiphone LP. Currently I don't like the way it is. I think I might have filed too much off the frets when I leveled them a couple years ago. I have trouble doing sustained bends and it just doesn't feel as nice as my Tele does, which has bigger frets.
I'm just not sure what Guage wire to go for or whats usually standard for a les paul type guitar. I'm thinking jumbo 6100 for better playability. What's are the inherent downsides, if any, to jumbo wire? I'm also thinking stainless for longevity.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Re: Refret, what guage?

Post by jeremyb »

No idea, but I did notice the other day that sound nations are stocking fretwire now: https://soundnations.com/product-catego ... fret-wire/
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

I use StewMac Item # 0154 a lot for LP's. To me it's the right mix of high and wide without being too wide.

In saying that, I used # 0150 for my last scratch build and recently my Flying V, and it's awesome. Late 1958 Gibsin wide but heaps more hieght.

Stainless - can't help, but I have heard a LP once with stainless that the owner was unhappy with due to it sound brighter and "plinkier" (his words, not mine).
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 247 times

Post by griff »

Thanks Grant, will look into that :thumbup:

Optical
Tokai
Tokai
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 142 times

Post by Optical »

Only downside to jumbos is sometimes if you press the string down hard enough it can pull the note sharp
6100 is (or is close to) what Charvel uses, I like those.

chur
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 210 times

Post by chur »

I got 6100's (or the equiv in the brand Alan F uses here in chch) in my LP Studio. Took a while to get used to as I could pull the strings sharp pressing down too hard. Also, when I looked down, it looked like my action was really high, which ultimately it is from the fretboard, but measured from the top of the frets no so much. It was certainly more different than I thought initially. However, I grew to love it again.

Didn't help my playing though..
No one ever died of hard work.. but why take the risk..