Gibson
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 510 times
Been liked: 407 times

Re: New Metallica

Post by FuzzMonkey »

hamo wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:58 pm
Olderama wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:19 pm Ripping off motorhead
I got a strong Motorhead vibe from it too.
Me three. I thought very much in the Overkill vein.
"There's no creativity without vulnerability."

www.fantailaudio.com

MogwaiBoy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 242 times

Post by MogwaiBoy »

So how about that new Megadeth album? They seem to be able to invoke their past glory so authentically. Maybe it's because Mustaine actually still is a metalhead.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

MogwaiBoy wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:59 pm So how about that new Megadeth album? They seem to be able to invoke their past glory so authentically. Maybe it's because Mustaine actually still is a metalhead.
The Sick, the Dying is weird, it sounds like it could have slotted in between Rust in Peace and Countdown, but isn't as good as either. Kiko is definitely no Marty either.

But some old bands have released semi-decent albums in their old age, I like Anthrax Worship Music and Exhorder Mourn the Southern Skies, but I suspect they have a fraction of Metallica's wealth so the hunger to pay the bills could be a factor.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 1064 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

Iron maiden are still killing it also.

Pvt. Ryan
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 40 times

Post by Pvt. Ryan »

Anthrax's For All Kings?

Pvt. Ryan
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Pvt. Ryan »

Danger Mouse wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:36 pm
MogwaiBoy wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:59 pm So how about that new Megadeth album? They seem to be able to invoke their past glory so authentically. Maybe it's because Mustaine actually still is a metalhead.
The Sick, the Dying is weird, it sounds like it could have slotted in between Rust in Peace and Countdown, but isn't as good as either. Kiko is definitely no Marty either.

But some old bands have released semi-decent albums in their old age, I like Anthrax Worship Music and Exhorder Mourn the Southern Skies, but I suspect they have a fraction of Metallica's wealth so the hunger to pay the bills could be a factor.
I've been following thrash metal scene this year and Tankard had released their 18th studio album.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 632 times
Been liked: 802 times

Post by hamo »

Pvt. Ryan wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:28 pm
Anthrax's For All Kings?
I haven't heard that for so long I can't remember it. I'll have to listen again.
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 632 times
Been liked: 802 times

Post by hamo »

I'm coming down in favour of this new Metallica album. I can't quite put my finger on it, but it feels like they've stopped trying to recreate 1980s Metallica, and become content to go back to drawing on their influences. Ironically, in doing so they've managed to recapture what made 1980s Metallica great, albeit through the lens of being much older and softer. I'll never react to these songs like I did to their earlier work simply because I'm in my late 40s and not my mid-teens, but objectively I think they're making decent music. Some young person hearing it for the first time might react to it the same way I did to hearing MOP for the first time.

It kind of reminds me of when Terminator: Dark Fate came out. That was a really enjoyable movie in its own right. It wasn't quite as good as the original couple, but not much could live up to the benchmark they set. One reviewer said "this was the best Terminator movie we could hope to get at this point", and that seemed pretty much right. That's kind of how I feel about this new Metallica.

Thank you for coming to my TED talk.
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Post by StratMatt »

There will never be another MoP, and I don't want there to be. I think this is a really enjoyable record. Chasing Light really got me hyped up when that first riff comes in. Too Far Gone? has such a catchy chorus vocal melody which then delves into some cool Thin Lizzy type guitar harmony. Inomorata is epic too.

It's kinda like the best of Load on steroids. I like it.
Loving it so far

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 1064 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

I don't understand how James's voice is still this good.

Pvt. Ryan
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Pvt. Ryan »

NippleWrestler wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:27 pm I don't understand how James's voice is still this good.
That's one thing I loved about them :)

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

hamo wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:45 pm I'm coming down in favour of this new Metallica album. I can't quite put my finger on it, but it feels like they've stopped trying to recreate 1980s Metallica, and become content to go back to drawing on their influences. Ironically, in doing so they've managed to recapture what made 1980s Metallica great, albeit through the lens of being much older and softer. I'll never react to these songs like I did to their earlier work simply because I'm in my late 40s and not my mid-teens, but objectively I think they're making decent music. Some young person hearing it for the first time might react to it the same way I did to hearing MOP for the first time.

It kind of reminds me of when Terminator: Dark Fate came out. That was a really enjoyable movie in its own right. It wasn't quite as good as the original couple, but not much could live up to the benchmark they set. One reviewer said "this was the best Terminator movie we could hope to get at this point", and that seemed pretty much right. That's kind of how I feel about this new Metallica.

Thank you for coming to my TED talk.
Interesting, you've convinced me to give it a chance, I don't think I've listened to more than the odd song or two since the black album came out!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

NippleWrestler wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:27 pm I don't understand how James's voice is still this good.
Well technically it was never good, so it could only have improved :thumbup:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

sty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 207 times
Been liked: 264 times

Post by sty »

I'm not the worlds biggest Metallica fan, they passed me by a fair bit due to my preference for the music that influenced them, however I've grown to like them over the years.

I liked the first singles teased out from this new album and gave the album a couple of listens to from Spotify when it was released.

My current verdict is that it's probably the most enjoyable stuff of theirs in recent years (since Death Magnetic).

Given I have everything from and including Death Magnetic on vinyl I decided to grab this one on Monday, haven't actually managed to give it a spin yet but I'm actually looking forward to it.

I would say that the Bright Yellow packaging is actually wonderful! who'd have thunk that a non-black cover could make such an impact on one of their albums.

(I really ought to try and see them live one of these years... maybe if I win Lotto)

murky
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 270 times
Been liked: 291 times

Post by murky »

Very slow burn here - currently on the 3rd rotation....

Might be the car stereo, but Rule 1 comes to mind - keep the drummer away from the kick fader.....