mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Xvive U4 Wireless In-Ear System Review

Post by mr_sooty »

I had the opportunity to give this a workout at band practice last night. Worked really well. Certainly the simplest in-ear system I've used, and the cheapest wireless option I know of. The transmitter plugs directly into the stage box and the receiver is a tiny little belt pack thing that can fit in your pocket.

I also use the Nux B5RC guitar wireless, both are 2.4ghz digital and I'd noticed at home that if the U4 transmitter was too close to the guitar receiver (like within a metre) they start interfering with each other, but with the band set up I had no issues. The other 2 units (in-ears receiver and guitar transmitter) seem perfectly happy to be right next to each other - one in my guitar, the other in my pocket or on my belt.

My other concern was that because we use a wireless PA snake box thing (Soundcraft UI24R) with it's own Wi-Fi, maybe it would interfere with that, but again there were no issues.

It was great because I had my own in-ear mix that I could tweak with my ipad and I was completely wireless. The only real draw back to this in-ears system is that it's mono rather than stereo, but I was pleasantly surprised by the sound quality. With good in-ear buds (the system doesn't include buds, I use Shure SE425 dual drivers which are brilliant) the sound quality is pretty decent and being able to turn the volume of the entire band down while still being able to hear everything is a godsend. I have pretty bad tinnitus from too many years playing with guitars so I really want to protect my hearing. Have been using musicians ear plugs which are Ok, but this was miles better. I would still prefer stereo but considering the price and ease of use I was happy with the compromise.

The only thing I'm not sure about is that my guitar wireless ran out of battery for the first time ever. I have gigged with it several times (3 hour gigs) and it's never ran out before. Probably it's because I didn't charge them up before practice but I'm pretty sure I'd charged them since I last used them. I'm wondering if it is to do with them having to auto switch channels more often with the other wireless system there. I'll make sure I charge them up properly next time before practice, and possibly put the X4 on a different channel (it has 6) just in case, and give it another go. No battery issues with the U4.

Incidentally the Nux B5RC guitar wireless I use comes with a power bank case that can charge both guitar units while also acting as a protective case. Very cool. As I say, I've never had an issue with battery life before with these so it probably just wasn't charged properly. Last night was my first time using the U4 but I've used the B5RC for a while.

The U4 retails at $399, the B5RC is $299.
20210119_101440.jpg
20210119_101440.jpg (3.07 MiB) Viewed 7397 times
Last edited by mr_sooty on Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Re: Xvive U4 Wireless In-Ear System Review

Post by bender »

Good to read a practical review!

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

Cool that there is a more affordable IEM option out there.

sirvill
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 241 times

Post by sirvill »

I have the Nux guitar wireless too (perhaps not that model, I think I have the B2) and I find the battery drains while I'm not using it. But if you charge it the day of the gig its all good.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 632 times
Been liked: 802 times

Post by hamo »

sirvill wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:39 pm I have the Nux guitar wireless too (perhaps not that model, I think I have the B2) and I find the battery drains while I'm not using it. But if you charge it the day of the gig its all good.
Bro! Where you bin?
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

sirvill
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 241 times

Post by sirvill »

hamo wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:01 pm
sirvill wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:39 pm I have the Nux guitar wireless too (perhaps not that model, I think I have the B2) and I find the battery drains while I'm not using it. But if you charge it the day of the gig its all good.
Bro! Where you bin?
Hahah someone noticed!!

TBH now I'm in two bands and run Helix most of my gear cravings have gone (save for in-ear systems, comfy straps etc haha)

I should come back more though :D

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 632 times
Been liked: 802 times

Post by hamo »

sirvill wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:09 pm
hamo wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:01 pm
Bro! Where you bin?
Hahah someone noticed!!

TBH now I'm in two bands and run Helix most of my gear cravings have gone (save for in-ear systems, comfy straps etc haha)

I should come back more though :D
Totally! You can never have too many guitars... :wink:
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by mr_sooty »

Update on this: I used both wireless systems at practice tonight for 4.5 hours with no battery issues or noticeable drop outs at all, so really happy with that result! (Edit) Also no latency either.

javiercarrillo
Stagg
Stagg

Post by javiercarrillo »

Hi, I'm looking into the U4s too for wireless IEM. Did you notice any hiss or static noise with the U4s? I have, in the past, used cheap wireless IEM solutions and they always had a hiss (not too noticeable when listening to music, but still there).

Thanks!

moliere
Squier
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 37 times

Post by moliere »

I've been using 3 of the U4s running separate mixes for my Synth pop band for the last couple of years. Been super reliable, no dropouts, quiet as. An excellent buy as long as you only need mono.